Sponsored by:

My 993 cab top is stuck in the half way position...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My 993 cab top is stuck in the half way position...help

It’s jammed pretty well. All I was doing was closing the top. I know the fabric can be pinched and tear if you’re not careful putting the top down but this was a surprise to me. I am seriously considering cutting the fabric (as I have a new one but really was in no hurry to replace the old one——only small blemishes until this).

It is clear to me now that some bar didn’t snap back like it should have. Any suggestions will help!

Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

You will see two plastic caps, one on the driver's side rear and the other on the passenger's side rear. Remove the covers. You will see a bolt behind each cover. Use the tool in your tool kit. Slowly turn each bolt to align your top and to manually raise or lower your top. Let me know how you make out.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:59 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Awesome! I will try. I hope I didn’t do any damage to the frame, motor, or wires. I’m definitely going to manual from here on out. The fabric on the top is pulled pretty tight....
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

As long as you didn't force your top you should be OK. When you replace your top always replace both the driver's and passenger's side cables with factory Porsche cables. Do NOT replace only one side. You only want to do this one time.
Find a reputable convertible top installer, experienced with installing Porsche tops. Ask for references. Do not use a Porsche Dealer. Our cars have motors and drive cables that must be synchronized so that your top frame will raise and lower equally on each side simultaneously to prevent damaging your frame and your new top.
It's up to you whether or not you go manual. Personally, our cars were designed to operate electrically. My preference is to stay with the power top, predicated upon your top installer being experienced and knowledgeable with our cars. The Porsche top operates differently than an Oldsmobile 442 or a Chevelle.
Please keep me informed.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:44 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

I’ve just read a lot on here about problems with the conv top motors and cables....neither of which have given me a problem. I’ve owned mine for going on 9 years now. But most say if you go permanent manual there are no problems.

I replaced the top once per the recommended premium installer here in Kc 4 years ago. They didn’t replace the elastic straps at that time and as a result the metal frame pinched my new top and made small tears I noticed last year. I’m ocd so I bought a new top that now makes even more sense to install with my fresh huge tears. I’ve been careful for the last year and now this..... seems if I go up and down manual I won’t damage the new top...
Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Twilight blue...just reread your reply....when I replace the top this time should I have new cables installed even if the current ones are fine?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Absolutely replace BOTH cables. Regarding your top installer, my experience has been that an experienced installer familiar with our cars would know, or should have known, to replace the elastic. The elastic is critical to the convertible top frame functioning correctly.
Also, consider replacing your headliner too.
You don't want to cut corners.
As far as choosing manual, it's your decision. You will find a few of us on our site who have continued with the power top as originally manufactured.
I bought my car new. I am the original owner. Everything is original except my tires and battery.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Everything on my car is correct. So I have no problem replacing the cables as well. I have loner and top and elastic straps ready for the top installer already. But I must say I’m in KC and our cars are 23 years old...I don’t think there is anyone here that is extremely familiar with caring for the tops and mechanics of these tops. I will be using the best top shop here in KC...but still...
Old 05-06-2019, 03:48 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Guys! Disconnecting the motors worked! Top folded down and back up easily. Now I just have twonice holes where the bar tore through the top..😕. After retightening the top bolts I have no power top and the patches won’t latch down although I hear a click. Hopefully I popped a fuse? It’s late here so I will look into this tomorrow or Tuesday but any suggestions? Hopefully the motors aren’t gone...
Old 05-06-2019, 07:22 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Your top will latch manually by inserting the tool in your tool kit into each slot above each sun visor and lock each side down.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjn
After retightening the top bolts I have no power top and the patches won’t latch down although I hear a click.
probably want to leave the bolts loose and top in manual.
the top might have been stuck because a cable became shorter and the gearing miss timed.
when the motor bolts are loosened and the top moved it also becomes likely the gearing is miss timed.
if you reset the power and try to move the top the miss timed gearing could bend the frame.
only possibilities, but a much more expensive mistake to bend the frame then ripping the canvas.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:39 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Wanted to update you guys who helped! So i pretty much gave up and took the car to my local indy. I was able to disconnect the motors and close shut the top but i was not able to latch it. I couldn't get a slot head screw driver to work in the manual lock holes. I could hear the latch motors trying to work. In the end i didn't want to damage anything.

So the good news is everything was fine. I didn't need to replace any motors or cables. There was apparently a misadjusted microswitch causing the top to not operate. I was told it's something like a failsafe that shuts things down so nothing is damaged in case the top gets stuck....like what happened to me. I had the shop go over everything and it got the all clear.

Now unfortunately i will need to replace the top fabric. I wonder if there is anything i can have the installer place at points of wear? Rubber or padding on parts of the metal frame?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Put a new headliner on your car when you do the top. If the upolosterer specializes in Porsche top installations, the shop knows or should know the areas to protect.Either way, express your concerns in advance and see whether or not your concerns are satisfactorily addressed.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

What geographic area is your shop?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:21 PM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

I’m in Kansas City.

Quick Reply: My 993 cab top is stuck in the half way position...help