95' Brake fluid reservoir cap conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 12:26 AM
last993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 95' Brake fluid reservoir cap conversion

Help!

I did a search found out that I need a total of 4 parts to do the full conversion. Here's my question.

I can see how three parts fit all together. There is one part (993 703 421 40)that came w/ the package that I am having a hard time to figure out where it goes go. It appears to be a rubber plug.

My best guess is that it plugs into a hole that the end of drain tube leads to. If that's the case, where is the end of drain tube and what's the easiest way to pull the other unnessary parts out of the car ?

Thanks !!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:52 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The difference in caps from '95 to '96+ was the use of a vented cap instead of a vent pipe. I guess to save a few bucks, instead of using a new reservoir, Porsche just removed the vent hose and added a small black rubber plug to the vent nipple on the aft end of the reservoir. The plug is held on by a small compressed clamp. Does this help you?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:43 AM
last993
Advanced

Hi Dan, how have you been ?

First of all, thanks for your prompt reply !

I fully understand the part you mentioned/described below. What I still don't get is the rubber piece that's about the size of nickle that needs to go somewhere.....just can't figure out where.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:14 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by last993:
<strong>What I still don't get is the rubber piece that's about the size of nickle that needs to go somewhere.....just can't figure out where.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Checked my PET & shop manual. No idea what the part is that you mentioned. The part # above comes back as unknown. From what I can see the only obvious changes from early to late brake MC cap are:
- vented cap and gasket (2 pieces)
- reservoir nipple plug & clamp (2 pieces)
Can you post a pic of your mystery part?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts
Why would one wish to move the vent? Is it to prevent spilling or to eliminate the need to pinch the hose for the power bleeder? Curious.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chris,

I think it's to eliminate the pinch.

I was thinking of doing this but decided not (if there somehow is overflow, fluid will go outside, instead of trunk...)
Old 01-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Wink

When I did mine, I cut off the overflow line at the nozzle on the side of the reservoir and added the plug, then swapped the reservoir cap for the new one. Job done.

The part that you're talking about might be a plug for where the drain tube goes thru the body. I left mine in place; why ask for trouble by removing it if I don't have to.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:31 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Last 993, I did mine a while ago like Ray did. But unlike Ray, I yanked all that tubing out of the fender. Must have weighed at least 6 ounces. Anyway, either way you do it, I don't know what part you are talking about. Maybe a pic would help identify it. I really wouldnt aorry about it AS LONG AS: you have capped the nipple on the back side of the reservoir where the hose attached, AND clamped it with the supplied hose clamp, AND used the new cap. Should be fine.

Have fun.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:42 AM
last993
Advanced

Thanks for the reply ! ....and I apologize for the late reply. Got home not too long ago.

I tried to take some pictures of the rubber plug that I was talking about. I did it, but the quality is not that good. It looks like a big black dot.

I will try to borrow my neighbor's better digital camera tomorrow and post pictures.

Again, the part # is 999 703 421 40 (Tuelle ??)

E.J - when you yanked out everything out of the car, how did you manage to locate and yanked out the very last end of the tbg ? Is removing the plastic shield under the fender necessary ?
Old 01-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni:
[QB]...I yanked all that tubing out of the fender. Must have weighed at least 6 ounces...[QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">You gotta save weight where ever you can!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:17 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<strong>The part that you're talking about might be a plug for where the drain tube goes thru the body.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Without seeing the part, I'll bet Ray's guess is correct. Your part does not seem to be a functional piece of the conversion.

Quick Reply: 95' Brake fluid reservoir cap conversion