Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a kit for calipers - just a set of gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a kit for calipers - just a set of gaskets?

I am going to refresh the calipers and will HAVE to replace the gaskets (o-rings) for the fronts, as the darn things were just baked on... But, the pistons are in perfect shape.
So, based on the PP info, there doesn't seem to be a kit that only contains the gaskets - they want you to buy the pistons as well. To that end, it looks like they want $50 for a single piston/gasket combo - so, it will run about $200 per caliper, which I find to be rather extravagant.

The 993 catalog mentions something about the "gasket set" - part no. 928 351 919 10, but that's what comes up on the PP site (the only one that actually shows pictures) as a single piston/gasket combination. So, a bit confused here.: confused:

I realize that I could call PP, but they are closed for the weekend, and I am trying to make some decisions this weekend. So, please indulge me in my impatience...

Anyone has an answer?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Do some googling. Lots of places sell caliper rebuild kits that are seals-only
Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Default Asked and answered

Originally Posted by Churchill
Do some googling. Lots of places sell caliper rebuild kits that are seals-only
Just did. Indeed - Hoerr sells Brembo dust boots individually. And, Brembo is thoughtful enough to actually put parts numbers on their product.

Upon further investigation, an even more economical option is to get a complete kit - dust covers and pressure seals from Ohio Performance Solutions, who is a vendor sponsoring this site. $89 for all 4 corners; I believe that those are Stoptech products.

Last edited by maestromaestro; 04-21-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

I went with HRP, and total cost for Brembo boots and seals (4x30, 4x34, 4x36, and 4x44) was $380. I don’t plan on doing these brakes this again in my lifetime, so I opted to spend the money for Brembo.

Brembo seals

Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Default Stoptech vs Brembo

When I pulled out the pressure seals, they looked brand new - no damage at all. So, under the circumstances, I felt that paying $15 per is frivolous. Stoptech is a well regarded manufacturer, and their brake products are widely used for road and track applications. I felt pretty comfortable with this choice. The OSSolutions main fellow is a Porschenista. So, all in all, not too worried.

Same goes for the reusing the front caliper bolts - I don't see an earthly reason for not reusing those - corrosion concerns are not necessarily misplaced, but using Optimoly on the original bolts would address this. Having said it, I did buy 4 new ones - at least I think I did. Need to see what I have ordered in the past few days. - it's been a flurry.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:41 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The logic I was told on not reusing the caliper bolts was due to potential stretching when installed due to the heat they endure. Can't say true or not, just multiple mechanics said don't reuse. So I didn't. I switched to studs and have some unused bolts for sale cheap if you want them.

Quick Reply: Is there a kit for calipers - just a set of gaskets?