Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to replace engine out - Fair mechanic rates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 05:05 PM
dakarbmw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to replace engine out - Fair mechanic rates?

I recently took my 993S to the mechanic to get some work done by a local air cooled mechanic I was recommended and wanted to know if what I paid seemed reasonable. It was put out of service initially because one of the ears on the clutch fork bell housing broke off. Once the transmission had to be removed, it became a slippery slope of while you're in there...

What I had done/replaced by my mechanic:

-(All new parts, some OEM, some 2nd best ex. Sebro flywheel instead of Rauch and Spiegel)
-RS clutch
-RS flywheel
-New ring gear for that flywheel
-Pressure Plate
-Throwout bearing
-New clutch release guide tube for the throwout bearing
-Clutch fork
-New needle bearings for the clutch fork spindle
-Clutch slave cylinder, Clutch Master Cylinder (not mentioned in the bill, but obviously these parts needed to be bled, an expense)
-Bell housing repaired by CMS in Arizona as the ears of the clutch fork were broken. (had to be shipped there and back, shipping an expense)
-Input shaft seal
-Output shaft seal

-Inner (Case to block) and Outer (cover piece) timing chain cover
-Outer cover plate timing chain tensioner gaskets
-Lower valve cover gaskets, new hardware
-Miscellaneous seals (see photo)

-Rebuilt power steering pump by using a reseal kit
-New power steering belt
-Starter motor

It'll be a new car and it shouldn't need anything for a while (maybe) with all this work done to it. My bill estimate was $7,600 + 8% tax (exclusively labor, I spent $2,250 on parts). I reckon this figure is near what a light engine rebuild would have cost me and should have done that instead. I'm not ready to do a top end rebuild on the car though (will eventually need it at 130K). Also maybe worth mentioning in the price, my car was out of service for 12 weeks which particularly sucked as I bought the car, took it on a 1300 mile road trip to the Tail of the Dragon in NC, and then it broke. I might have the record for highest price per mile driven with my repair totals haha. Thoughts on my experience?

Also, (my wallet hates hearing this phrase at the moment) while I'm in there, what else would you rennlisters recommend I replace? Appreciate all the help!

-Full set of spark plug wires have been done
-Distributor Cap
-Distributor Rotor
-Air filter
-Spark Plugs

Miscellaneous

Some of the parts I ordered

Parts circled in red are being replaced (also replacing the little rubber grommet washers part #18)

Engine out

Broken boss, ground down fork

Leaks by the timing cover

Where is this leak/greasiness coming from? Is it from underneath the varioram intake where I've read that area can get messy if the engine oil is overfilled?

The repair CMS did
Old 10-23-2019, 06:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

It seems like a lot of work when one doesn't need to take the engine out on a 993 to service the transmission, the clutch or the power steering pump or its belt.
I guess as long as the original poster feels he got some value out of removing the engine that is all the matters.
Andy
Old 10-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

Engine didn’t “need” to come out. Holy slippery slope Batman!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:46 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

cool repair by cms
the pic of the 'leak/greasiness' is of the case vent cover.
there is a paper gasket under that cover, when it leaks it sprays and mists everywhere.
might as well replace it while you have access.
if the shop has the 993 timing tools get that done, will be easy with the engine out.
the only other while you're in there suggestion I have is to clean, lots of cleaning.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

+1 Cool repair by CMS.

I am almost done doing a lot of what you have on your repair bill in my home garage.

Approaching the 3 month mark waiting for parts and doing the work on my spare time.

At the end, it is tedious and labor intensive when you start to clean and reseal/rebuild the various motor components.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I had a lot of this stuff done, minus the bell housing - ie clutch/flywheel/gaskets/PS belt

I had them do a distributor rebuild, plugs, wires, ISV, fuel filter, (rubber) fuel lines, vacuum hose elbows, RS motor mounts and all the drive belts. Threw in some FD parts - golden rod, SSK, Fister III.

Being a C4S it was engine out (yes, some say a shop can do this without pulling the engine - not going to get into that one again)

Not sure why you'd want to rebuild an engine that doesn't need rebuilding, though. The rest of this stuff is pretty much expendable. One thing I did that is a little out of the ordinary were the fuel lines. I had a bad gas smell that didn't go away with all the normal fixes. The line replacement fixed it.

Your price seems reasonable to me.

Quick Reply: What to replace engine out - Fair mechanic rates?