Sponsored by:

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM
territory145
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SUSPENSION

Andy, My front right shock is leaking, I dont want to chance anything thats why I'm changing them.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
What is lifespan of OEM shock absorbers in miles or time or both? I have a 95 Cab with original Monroe and 65,600 miles.......ride is still good and firm enough when I toss it around...........
Whenever I’ve had suspension that’s worn out, it has been obvious to me because the shocks either become very bouncy/weak or become very stiff/jouncy. Sometimes the change is so slow that I don’t notice it until it gets really bad. But if your shocks feel good, leave them be. No point making changes unless there is something specific you are trying to fix.

On my 993 I did a complete suspension rebuild because the car was both harsh and loose and had trouble driving straight down the highway. It was obvious that it needed some help. If it had felt good, I would have saved my multi-thousands of dollars and happily driven it as-is.

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 04-24-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

What is lifespan of OEM shock absorbers in miles or time or both? I have a 95 Cab with original Monroe and 65,600 miles.......ride is still good and firm enough when I toss it around...........
I would suggest that the shocks may seem fine to you, because you have nothing to compare them to.

In other words, were you to hop into an exact duplicate of your car, but with a brand new suspension, and then immediately drive your car, you might then see how good your shocks really are. Or aren't. Shocks are wear items and degrade over time/miles.

There is little chance that a 993 running on 24 year old shocks with 65K miles on them, that were never great to begin with, even when new, are really good.

But to each his own
Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM
sjd1025
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An intriguing unknown is the Porsche branded bilstein gas shock, they sell these as replacements for 993 w/ stock springs and RoW ride height but I haven't been able to determine the valve stack parameters.

In the process of installing this package purchased from Gert. Mike Tashkent at Mtech motorsports is doing the work. 993 c4s, has 25K original miles. Time will tell whether premium $ paid for a newly designed factory OEM, ROW set was worth it. Also replacinig all wear items, front and rear to include rear subframe mounts with OEM pieces. Car is not tracked and gets occasional spirited driving.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

I thought mine were fine til I replaced them on my 43k '98. Then I realized how crappy they were. The shock practically collapsed on itself when it was removed. There was no leaking.

I'd argue that a 25 year old shock is going to be worn out, almost by definition.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 AM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Mileage AND time is what degrades rubber.. if you are on original shocks than time is what has worn them out. Shocks wear so gradually that you dont really know until you change them.. then you will kick youself for not doing it sooner!

your 993 deserves new shocks! even if it has 5 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Suspension