993 Forum 1995-1998

More Tip Problems: Fault Code P0740 - torque converter clutch circuit o

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:40 PM
silvewrc2s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default More Tip Problems: Fault Code P0740 - torque converter clutch circuit o

So finally a chance to take the car back to the mechanic to sort out the read window seals becoming loose and a pesky check engine light that came on and he runs a test and we got this error:

Fault Code P0740 - torque converter clutch circuit open

Now, I did my good ole googling and found out this is a common issue in the the prosche/vw family (some American cars as well) with the tiptronic transmission. From reading some Boxter forums with this fault code it seems as though I can still drive the thing without a problem.

Would it be a problem to not fix it?

This damn car has cost me a pretty penny to fix past 100k miles. it's damn worth it though.

next up to fix is a pitted windshield and a door check strap refix.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:42 AM
jbabington
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same P0740 however the Durametric reads: 70 (1st line) and then the 2nd line reads: "P0740 Solenoid valve - torque conv. clutch" My tranny pan is fairly wet but no drips, so am concerned. Sure hope we can get some advice here.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 AM
jbabington
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbabington
I have the same P0740 however the Durametric reads: 70 (1st line) and then the 2nd line reads: "P0740 Solenoid valve - torque conv. clutch" My tranny pan is fairly wet but no drips, so am concerned. Sure hope we can get some advice here.
Not sure why my above post is showing in the 993 Forum? I simply replied to the originators post which I show is in 996 Forum. I'll try to get in the 996 Forum where it belongs.

Quick Reply: More Tip Problems: Fault Code P0740 - torque converter clutch circuit o