Sponsored by:

Purchase consultant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:55 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Purchase consultant?

I remember snooping around the net a couple of months ago and stumbled on a website for a dealer who (for a fee) will search the country and find the exact 993 you're looking for (if it exists and is for sale). An archive search was fruitless.

Does anyone have a link to this guys site? Has anyone used his service? From what I recall, his fee was kind of high (approx. 5% of the sales price)...

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of takes all the fun out of searching for a 993, doesn't it?

And if you don't like the car, what are you going to do?

Searching for my TT was one of the most exciting parts of the entire "p-car" process.

As in many things in life, if you want to do it right, you have to do it yourself. That is the only way that you'll be satisfied that it was done right, or at least be content that you tried as hard as you wanted to try.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:42 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO, I would use the power of this board. Tell us exactly what you are looking for and chances are, one of us will know of a car, see a car, etc that fits your wants.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:50 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might have been Rennlist sponsor Brian Buxton who
has a locating service:

<a href="http://www.buxtonmotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.buxtonmotorsports.com</a>

No affiliation, never used 'em, but have noticed
only positive comments about him on rennlist.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:02 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Buxton was the guy. You are right Jeff, I think the "hunt" will be the most exciting part. Problem is, I am in the process of negotiating the possible sale of my company, which takes a lot of time. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to keep my options open. Adscab is also right, this board has been an invaluable resource for 993 info. and I have learned so much in the past few months that I can now call myself an informed buyer.

Regards, Jason
Old 06-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I've had interaction with Brian as an intermediary during my 993 purchase (my 993 seller is a friend of Brian's) , allowing me to get the lower loan rate from Peoplefirst (i.e. used car from dealer, vs. used car from individual). He charged me $300 I think which was more than made up for by the savings I received borrowing at a lower rate. The fee also covered the paperwork, etc.

Brian was very pleasant to work with and very prompt in responding to my questions/requests. In my case, however, I found the car myself (advertised on Rennlist, I might add) and had the seller contact Brian once we made the deal.

Besides independents, there's always the local Porsche dealer. Supposedly, they will always get first dibs on lease return cars and trade-ins, leaving those that don't go to the dealers end up at 3rd party used car dealers.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
My search started as fun and exciting, but as the months wore on became quite frustrating! I was spending a couple hours per day combing every site and source, with nothing to show for it. To preserve spousal harmony and at the suggestion of a couple of board members, I turned my search over to Dave Maynard, <a href="http://www.europeanlocators.com/." target="_blank">http://www.europeanlocators.com/.</a>

Dave is a longtime PCA member, race steward and plain old Porsche nut. Nothing but good things to say about my experience with him. No affiliation, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

Good suggestion about posting to the board, I got a lot of help and good leads that way. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2003, 11:03 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with Bob D. I also used Dave and I was thrilled. I spent months looking and got sick of wasting time when I could be driving. He did very well by me and I heartily recommend him.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

JasonF - I'm sort of in your area (Westchester and NYC) and just completed a 6 month long search that I'm still winding down from. I know what your going through - late nights, complaining wife and distractions at work - it's addictive... but fun!

I ended up buying my perfect car from a p-car fanatic in Florida at a very well respected Porsche aftermarket racing shop. He shipped it up to NY closed container very quickly and inexpensively. I'll get you his name if you're interested - the car was better than described and he was very trustworthy throughout the process.

I tried to private message you but was blocked because you're not a Rennlist member. Email me if you'd like to chat - erferaro@yahoo.com.

Quick Reply: Purchase consultant?