Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Nut stripping, suggestions?? Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nut stripping, suggestions?? Please!

So I'm taking the passenger side muffler bracket off so I can remove the engine tin.
I couldn't get a box end on it, so used the open side. That thing is on TIGHT. I thought it was actually turning a bit, but on inspection, it was stripping.
So I found another 13mm wrench that was a bit thinner on the box end. Made sure it was on good and pried a screwdriver against it, but it wouldn't budge.
So used a larger wrench on the 13 as leverage, and it felt like it was moving. Checked and it was still stripping.

Guess I'm going to have to remove the heat exchanges, but still it will be a tight fit getting any wrench up there.

Suggestions?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you used any penetrating fluid yet? That bolt has seen a lot of heat cycles which always leads to a hard removal process. Get some sort of penetrating fluid and let it soak in there for a few hours. If you have a butane or propane torch, heat is also your friend.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:45 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I’ve been there and feel your pain. This is the method I used, and it worked. First remove the Allen head bolt that attaches the bracket to engine tin. Now insert the 13mm open ended wrench on the frozen bolt, move the whole bracket/wrench up and down together albeit 1/2” of movement. Doing this repeatedly I managed to break the bolt free a few mm at a time. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:20 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Blue Ocean,

You say it's stripping, but do really mean that the threads of the bolt or the threads where it goes into the engine are failing? It looks more like the head of the bolt is getting rounded off. If the bolt head is getting rounded off, then you may need to use only a six-point box end wrench, one that fits very snugly, to avoid further rounding. A twelve-point or worse yet an open-end wrench can cause further damage.

That is a troublesome bolt--I ground down the head of a box-end wrench specifically for that one bolt. The corresponding part of the muffler bracket is U-shaped, so you only need to loosen this bolt slightly to withdraw the bracket.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:01 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
That is a troublesome bolt--I ground down the head of a box-end wrench specifically for that one bolt. The corresponding part of the muffler bracket is U-shaped, so you only need to loosen this bolt slightly to withdraw the bracket.
I have grinder-modified box end wrench for this bolt as well.

Andreas
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
Have you used any penetrating fluid yet?
The really nasty acidified penetrating oil PB "Blaster" sprayed on and allowed to sit overnight will do the trick if you can stand the smell.

It can be purchased at an auto parts store or you know, that place that shouldn't be named in the same sentence as Porsche, wait... wait... it's coming, just a little longer... The Home Depot! There I said it, its out now have to deal with that.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Been there. Done that. Based on some recommendations here, I dropped the heat exchanger and got some vise grips on it after rounding off the bolt head.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:12 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I’ve been there and feel your pain. This is the method I used, and it worked. First remove the Allen head bolt that attaches the bracket to engine tin. Now insert the 13mm open ended wrench on the frozen bolt, move the whole bracket/wrench up and down together albeit 1/2” of movement. Doing this repeatedly I managed to break the bolt free a few mm at a time. Hope this helps.
^^^ + PB Blaster soaked overnight + heat
Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Mind looked like that too. I ended up having to cut the head off with a dremel and then use needle nose vise grips to remove the remaining nubbin out.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Mind looked like that too. I ended up having to cut the head off with a dremel and then use needle nose vise grips to remove the remaining nubbin out.
I thought about that as well, but due to the lack of clearance I can tell that will be a major PIA. Saving that as a last resort unless you want to come on over and show me your technique

It's been soaking over night (used WD-40 brand penetrating oil simply because I had some and it doesn't stink like PB Blaster). I'll hit it with some PB and then head to the store for an extra 13mm six-point box end wrench to grind down. (Wonder if Home Depot sells those?)

Got the driver side tin off without too much hassle. Lucky that fore most 10mm bolt was already about 1/3 out, so removal wasn't that difficult.
The upper valve cover on that side show no sign of leak or seepage. Thinking of just leaving it alone and not replacing those gaskets.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

I hate that bolt.... I had bracket that it holds become unwelded.. I had to replace the bracket & the bolt is a PITA!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:33 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

You might see if a 1/2” would fit- that’s 12.7mm, a too-tight fit but sometimes will work.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

I ended up just taking the heat exchanger off and got some vice grips on it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
I thought about that as well, but due to the lack of clearance I can tell that will be a major PIA. Saving that as a last resort unless you want to come on over and show me your technique

It's been soaking over night (used WD-40 brand penetrating oil simply because I had some and it doesn't stink like PB Blaster). I'll hit it with some PB and then head to the store for an extra 13mm six-point box end wrench to grind down. (Wonder if Home Depot sells those?)

Got the driver side tin off without too much hassle. Lucky that fore most 10mm bolt was already about 1/3 out, so removal wasn't that difficult.
The upper valve cover on that side show no sign of leak or seepage. Thinking of just leaving it alone and not replacing those gaskets.
Wishing you luck. Hate to say it, but PB Blaster is WAY better than WD-40. Not sure WD-40 will do anything. Overnight soak in Pb Blaster is a must. Heat it up, and then chill it quickly. Often is enough to break the corrosion.

One option (if completely rounded) is to drill a hole through the head perpendicular to the axis of bolt, put in a hardened steel dowel extending out sides, giving something to grip with vise grips.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't mean to hijack the thread but Kano KROIL blows away PB Blaster. He already solved the issue so I threw out a tip.

Lab tests have proven it's effectiveness as have my side by side tests. Hands down wins every time.

Quick Reply: Nut stripping, suggestions?? Please!