Speaker/Stereo Upgrade 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 07:18 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based upon Phil's post, I was spooked away from getting XM. And my shop couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't interfere with or cause false alarms with the V1 (newer version from 2002), which I have hardwired and remote mounted. Anybody out there with a newer model V1 (particularly one that's hardwired) not having compatibility problems with the two? If the choice is between the V1 and XM, it's not even a close call for me, the V1 (license saver) stays.

Malcom, where are your subs mounted?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:37 AM
E. Malcolm Crosby
Rennlist Member

The subs are mounted on the floor behind the front seats. I bought the enclosures from Car Audio Innovations in the Sacramento, CA area.

<a href="http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/" target="_blank">http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/</a>
Old 02-09-2003, 01:06 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Malcom, my two 8-inch subs came from car audio innovations as well. I'm looking for a different solution that doesn't take up the rear footwell areas.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:38 PM
DrZ
Racer

I am still getting ideas from various installers in LA regarding speaker placement in a cab. Main objectives are in order of importance sound quality, cost, maintaining stock appearance, and imaging.

Latest plan involves a Dynaudio 360 system with placement of the mid dome and tweeter in a custom kick panel enclosure. the sealed driver components in the system allow for a shallow mount. Imagining would be much better than door placement and should obviate the need for a sound processor which unless high end(expensive) will result in loss of SQ.

8' woofer will go in door with modification of the lower panel and grill. Modification in this regard is impossible to avoid unless one uses a 6.5" or smaller driver which returns to the SW problem again. Expertise in door installation is important because once you remove the sealed factory enclosure, the door must be properly soundproofed and sealed to avoid rattles and getting the optimal sound out of the 8' driver. Major expense wil be to find a lower door panel set in classic gray should I decide to return to stock. Custom grill sould look very good according to Jamey at Paris Audio.

I already have a two channel 400W Brax to supply the necessary headroom. Bi-amping would be better as OM has eloquently detailed earlier in this thread.

Have'nt gotten an estimate yet from Paris, but this proposal appears promising/
Old 02-09-2003, 11:26 PM
DrZ
Racer

Old 02-10-2003, 01:15 AM
E. Malcolm Crosby
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by John H. in DC Area:
<strong>Thanks, Malcom, my two 8-inch subs came from car audio innovations as well. I'm looking for a different solution that doesn't take up the rear footwell areas.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I know what you mean. It does get in the way loosing that space. I lost about 1" in seat travel. This is ok for me since my legs aren't that long. However now passengers can't stretch out as much, not that there was much space to begin with. Plus I used to put things behind the drivers seat on the floor to keep them from moving. Can't do that anymore.

Quick Reply: Speaker/Stereo Upgrade 993