Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New fuel pump needed-Porsche or Bosch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question New fuel pump needed-Porsche or Bosch?

I’ve diagnosed my no start as a fuel pump.

Is it worth buying the Porsche pump or is the Bosch pump identical or near enough? I don’t want to be buying pumps every year. Like most I’ll spend more now to get another 20-25 years as long as it’s worth it.

Thanks,
Harold
Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Seems like a pretty huge price difference. If it was me, I'd take a shot with the Bosch. But money is relative so to each his own.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
Seems like a pretty huge price difference. If it was me, I'd take a shot with the Bosch. But money is relative so to each his own.
i agree. My question is if the quality difference is worth the price or better value. I don’t want the Bosch to only last a year but, maybe Porsche one is specified to a higher standard for that price, and lasts 20? I know that is unlikely and exaggerated but, I’m really just curious if there are some actual use cases out there.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:46 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Porsche assembles cars and does not manufacture or even control the manufacturing of fuel pumps on a design that it has not used in car assembly in years.
If Bosch is the service new supplier to the dealer network the pumps are identical if they weren't, I would think as the premier integrated fuel system supplier throughout the world they know how to make a pump that works with their fuel injection system in our cars.
If your complaint is simply a noisy pump consider just replacing the $3 in rubber grommets that mount the pump.
Andy
Old 04-04-2019, 02:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Having worked in the OE and aftermarket automotive manufacturer & supply business. And having worked for a German one at that , Knorr Bremse, here is the layout of parts supply and how it influences quality, specifically durability.

-OE parts as put on a vehicle at the factory are durability tested to verify that they will last through the original warranty period
-Periodically during the run of production for install on new vehicles studies and changes are made to lower the part's cost while still remaining reliable during the warranty period, this is where long term durability is literally engineered out of the part. Ball bearings become bronze bushings that evolve to become nylon.
-The same part made for aftermarket sale in the OES (Dealer) distribution chain and the WD (Warehouse Distributor) network if sourced from the same Branded supplier is the same part off the same line, however, in most cases, it is no longer subject to warranty period durability testing. An example is Porsche boxed & Bosch boxed oxygen sensors.
-Over time when the volumes get low the part's manufacturing is transferred in many cases from a captive (owned) plant to a third party contract manufacturer. In tier 1 suppliers, this can be in eastern Europe or anywhere globally with lower levels of supervision and testing for durability.,
-At some point, tooling is sold off or a third party will reverse or re-engineer the part and sell it under a non-OE supplier brand name. The variability in quality at this point can be quite wide. A good example is window switches in our cars. The ones out of eastern Europe are the original design and are reasonably durable, the ones out of China or re-engineered and are notoriously unreliable.
These low volume parts for vehicles out of production for many years are no longer sourced through the Porsche supply chain. Porsche distribution buys and reboxes from WDs or the dealer many times just buys them from a local WD and sells or installs them.

Last edited by pp000830; 04-05-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andy
Old 04-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Drifa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth I run a Bosch pump in my car and haven't had any issues with it.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm running a Bosch 044 fuel pump. Zero issues.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:34 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Having worked in the OE and aftermarket automotive manufacturer & supply business. And having worked for a German one at that , Knor Bremse, here is the layout of parts supply and how it influences quality, specifically durability.

-OE parts as put on a vehicle at the factory are durability tested to verify that they will last through the original warranty period
-Periodically during the run of production for install on new vehicles studies and changes are made to lower the part's cost while still remaining reliable during the warranty period, this is where long term durability is literally engineered out of the part. Ball bearings become bronze bushings that evolve to become nylon.
-The same part made for aftermarket sale in the OES (Dealer) distribution chain and the WD (Warehouse Distributor) network if sourced from the same Branded supplier is the same part off the same line, however, in most cases, it is no longer subject to warranty period durability testing. An example is Porsche boxed & Bosch boxed oxygen sensors.
-Over time when the volumes get low the part's manufacturing is transferred in many cases from a captive (owned) plant to a third party contract manufacturer. In tier 1 suppliers, this can be in eastern Europe or anywhere globally with lower levels of supervision and testing for durability.,
-At some point, tooling is sold off or a third party will reverse or re-engineer the part and sell it under a non-OE supplier brand name. The variability in quality at this point can be quite wide. A good example is window switches in our cars. The ones out of eastern Europe are the original design and are reasonably durable, the ones out of China or re-engineered and are notoriously unreliable.
These low volume parts for vehicles out of production for many years are no longer sourced through the Porsche supply chain. Porsche distribution buys and reboxes from WDs or the dealer many times just buys them from a local WD and sells or installs them.
Good information.

Thanks for taking the time to summarize.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 487 Posts

I picked up a Bosch unit when my fuel pump got real loud and my DME blew. Knew it was time. I've been running it for almost 3 years now, zero issues.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:39 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Bosch. Same unit, just no Porsche box. Been running it a few years no problems.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the confirmations. I ordered the Bosch unit.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Having worked in the OE and aftermarket automotive manufacturer.................
Great info and explained well. Thanks for that.

Quick Reply: New fuel pump needed-Porsche or Bosch?