993 Forum 1995-1998

Trouble with seat rail

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Cougarav8r
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Trouble with seat rail

Finally got my hardback sport seats put back together after painting the hardbacks to match 1998 C2S Article Silver.

Unfortunately the drivers side seat inside rail is locked and I can't get it to adjust at all. I think it is out of true and the tolerances for it to slide fully to mount is not going to happen. Any chance you guys know of a source of supply or reference to get a drivers side (USA) right inside rail for our cars. I believe they are universal parts with 964 and are all Recaro.

Considering taking the seat rail rail off of the original seat I am swapping out of the 993 but really would rather fix the problem now.

Anyone have any 964/993 seat rails? Or know anyone that does? Or have suggestions how to true out this seat rail?

Such a bummer to have them all electrically hooked up and have them bolted up in the rear to find out the seat won’t slide forward.

Seat rail that is jammed. Won’t go to full aft position allowing access to bolt seat to car.

Pic of recaro label on affected seat rail. Don’t know if this is a serial number for the seat or a part number.

Fully assembled and ready to install. - - I thought. 😜

Hardbacks back from the paint shop. Very nice. 🤓
Old 01-26-2019, 12:08 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Your Hardbacks look great! Sorry I am no help for fixin the rail.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Beautiful car, near and dear to my heart.

Recaro does make a universal slider, but it won’t help. The seat rails on the 993 are welded to the seat belt attachment and the internals of the seat.

A few thoughts:

1. Your white plastic grommets appear to be intact, but make sure that when you depress the seat lever that the three teeth on both sides of the seat are fully disengaging from the seat rails. This is a common problem with the sliders

2. If the lever is working properly and the teeth are disengaged, the sliders should move freely. If not, try some PB blaster and a few love taps with a mallet to get things moving again.

3. There’s are very sturdy sliders, but if it’s bent it may need a few more strategic taps with a mallet or hammer to free up the sliders.

4. I have a 944 donor seat and would be happy to give you any parts free, but again the sliders are integrated so I’m not sure this will be of help.

5. Reach out to Lart at Lart’s Perfeomance. He refurbishes these seats regularly (and they’re beautifully done!). Lart offers a wealth of information, and seat parts.

Seat anchor is welded to the rail

The rails are also welded to the frame of the seat here. Note the three teeth here must fully disengage for rails to operate correctly.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Cougarav8r
Instructor

Default Going to replace seat rail I guess

Going to try a seat rail I found on eBay. Out of a 944. Looks to be similar. $160.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283353152878

Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I thought I had the same problem with my 964 softback sport seats. What I figured out was that when I mounted the seats the stock 993 screws and washers that my stock seats used where too high and would prevent the slider to move past them. I used some grade 12 pan head screws and that fixed the problem for me at least.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

When mine would not move, I held the electrical button down and gave it a good shove from the back......it started moving again...............so I had same experience from previous poster
Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 PM
Cougarav8r
Instructor

My seat rail problem is definitely something mechanical. I have isolated the comb like teeth that lock the seat and the affected rail still only travels fore and aft about 2" each way from center. Travel is limited to the point where I don't have access to the bolt holes. Hopefully the e-bay item listed above will work as a compatible part. It looks like 944/963/993 share common seat rails... Can anyone confirm?

Quick Reply: Trouble with seat rail