Advice on how to best "seal" new center reflector from water

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on how to best "seal" new center reflector from water

Hey everyone,
I ordered a new center reflector from Sunset as well as new sides from our friend Rudy. They all look great, but after the first wash I noticed a large amount of condensation inside the center lens. Calling sunset, they told me basically they can't replace the item as there has been a service bulletin from Porsche saying this can happen

Anyway, I only see the tabs or the gaskets where the bulbs plug in as the only possible entry points. Should I just seal these areas with clear silicon?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Ryan,
I never noticed moisture inside my original one, nor in the replacement that I installed 10 or 11 years ago. With the cost of these pieces, I'd be less than thrilled with that response...

Andreas
Old 01-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Oberst
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My old/ original one did not do it and my NOS one has not done it yet. Living in humid Texas that may change. The rear tail light lens on my Cayman GTS do it from time to time but it goes away.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I agree... I wasn’t happy at all. I was told the only way they could look into any kind of warranty is if I brought it to the Porsche dealer and they deemed it defective but according to the service bulletin condensation can “happen”

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Ryan,
I never noticed moisture inside my original one, nor in the replacement that I installed 10 or 11 years ago. With the cost of these pieces, I'd be less than thrilled with that response...

Andreas
Old 01-14-2019, 04:36 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

So the question is did you use a pressure washer or a strong hose sprayer as the center reflector is vented along its top and you may have pushed moisture into it. Because it is vented, I would think just sitting the car out in the sun warming up the lenses in direct sun would evaporate the moisture. On my car, the exhaust components behind the bumper cover also seem to warm up the area contributing to a dry out. Trying to completely seal the fixture is problematic as with temperature cycling sealing up the unit will probably contribute to more problems than it solves.
The issue you describe may fall under the 993 repair saying "Accept the things we should not fix, the knowledge to fix the things we must and the wisdom to know the difference" or something like that.
Andy
Old 01-14-2019, 04:44 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

No just a regular hose with normal pressure. I thought it would dry out too but was still there a week later. I finally removed the lens and left the bulb plugs open for a few days and it dried out.

Originally Posted by pp000830
So the question is did you use a pressure washer or a strong hose sprayer as the center reflector is vented along its top and you may have pushed moisture into it. Because it is vented, I would think just sitting the car out in the sun warming up the lenses in direct sun would evaporate the moisture. On my car, the exhaust components behind the bumper cover also seem to warm up the area contributing to a dry out. Trying to completely seal the fixture is problematic as with temperature cycling sealing up the unit will probably contribute to more problems than it solves.
The issue you describe may fall under the 993 repair saying "Accept the things we should not fix, the knowledge to fix the things we must and the wisdom to know the difference" or something like that.
Andy
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Never had it on my 23yr old original nor on my 1yr old replacement and that is in good old wet UK and it's regularly pressure washed.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

you will find this thread interesting. short answer is you have to reseal it yourself. Disappointing they are still selling them like this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ssembly-2.html
Old 01-15-2019, 07:14 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

I had this issue on a replacement I bought when I first got my car. Luckily it came up within the 2 year warrentee period and Porsche replaced it at no change. The quality or maybe quality control of these pieces have def gone down hill.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
after the first wash I noticed a large amount of condensation inside the center lens. Calling sunset, they told me basically they can't replace the item as there has been a service bulletin from Porsche saying this can happen
Did they by chance give you a copy of the TSB or tell you the number? I have the TSB that covers rear taillamp condensation on the 964 but I don't see one here for the 993.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
No just a regular hose with normal pressure. I thought it would dry out too but was still there a week later. I finally removed the lens and left the bulb plugs open for a few days and it dried out.
I guess you could minimize the issue by just lightly wetting the lens when cleaning it and avoid running much water over the top edge of the lens. Also if you open the engine lid and turn the little screws and remove the black cover on the top of the lens housing you can see how the venting works. Since the housing is quite open along its top I suspect adding a very thin strip of soft black foam under the cover in the space between the cover and the top of the lens housing would not impede venting but would block the direct passage of water to the openings in the housings. This sort of black open cell foam is sold on eBay in sheets to replace light seals on cameras. Also if the drops are condensation maybe using warm water rather than cold to clean the lens may deter some condensation from forming on the inside face of the housing's lens during cleaning..

Just some thoughts.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 01-15-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Its been a long time since I've had all three of those lights off, but aren't there vent tubes on the back of them just to air out the condensation. Any light assembly usually has them. Do you use a pressure washer?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:12 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through 3 new units from the Porsche parts counter, and none of them were sealed properly between the black plastic and the red reflector material. I thought I posted a thread about it - let me look. If not, I'll post up my pics and description.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here it is!
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...flector-2.html
Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

Give the dealer this thread and have them replace it free of charge as it is defective.........never experienced this in 25 years with my car...............living in all types of weather.........

Quick Reply: Advice on how to best "seal" new center reflector from water