Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

clutch options

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 02:01 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
As was reported above, "I have had Zero, None, Nada, stalling issues with this flywheel." I replaced my dual mass as it was clunking badly. I reasoned, why re-install another of the same if it too may fail. There is no way the LWF is going to fail: It is all one piece, not so with the stock fly wheel.

I too agree with Ray to the extent, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" But as Tom writes above, the LWF does allow the motor to spin up a little faster, at least it feels that way.

As far as dropping the tranny without the engine, this is not the "Official" Porsche factory approach, I have been told. However, there are shops that have made tools/jigs that allow them to drop the tranny while the engine stays in the car. I have seen it done...it works. It probably saves on labor as well.

Philosophically, I like the idea of dropping the engine as few times as possible..it is just a personal preference, a "gut" feeling.

In closing, I absolutely noticed, in contrast to the previous Dual Mass Flywheel and stock clutch, that the car was easier to shift with the LWF and clutch modification. It is sweet!
Old 11-06-2002, 08:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Go for it!

Even if you're not taking your car to the track I think LWF would be nice to have. 993s Could defenately have little faster throttle responce that what they have stock.

Stock 993 feels like a pig stuck in a mud when I'm comparing it to my older 2.7 911, which barked like a dog, throttle response was lightning fast.

Let me try to explain: For example, if you're standing still, 'blibbing' the throttle, 993 revs go:
"uuuuuppp aannndd doooooowwwn, uuuuuppp aanndd ddooowwn, uuuppp aaannnddd doooowwwnnnn"

my 911's revs went:
"upanddownd, upanddown, upanddown"

And that is enough reason to go for LWF when you're replacing yours, even if your car doesn't even see the track.
Not to mention, you're saving weight where you need to save it most.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:05 PM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who might be wondering about the equivalent weight saving of the LWF (12lb) vs a std twin mass flywheel (32lb) in terms of effect on acceleration, here are the results of some calcs I did a while back. Flywheel was modelled as a 10" diameter uniform disc, which should be a reasonable approximation, gear ratios used were G64/21:

1st gear 284lb
2nd gear 104lb
3rd gear 64lb
4th gear 48lb
5th gear 39lb
6th gear 32lb

Quick Reply: clutch options