Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:03 PM
nothingbutgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 242 Posts

Where in Tuscany are your located? Care to give share your first name?
Fred
I live 20kms from Florence and my first name is Paolo.
My English is improving all the time I read technical posts here as well, because passion helps me putting more effort for understanding, even when I am tired at the end of the working day.
Restoring cars is not my job, and the time and resources I am investing in this project are intended to be not for selling it, but it is at least two things together:
- bring a marvelous 993 back to life and good shape, because I remember how it was and could be again;
- making of it even a much more effective athlete, in my mind the most brutal but refined and race oriented 993...CUP chassis with RSR engine
This is so far from my sight right now....I must think step by step, and for the moment the goal is to rebuild a 1:1 993 cup chassis.

Celette bench to make sure the unibody is straight. It probably isn't, but doesn't look too bad.
The technician I talked to was suggesting to make most of the welding job onto a “dima” in Italian (don’t know in English)

From what I could see so far, the tubular are straight and undameged, but of course the car must be totally verified.

Best of luck to you nothingbutgt3. I hope the restoration goes well.
Thank you very much!

After a very long search I think I found the color sticker

The last sticker is also the newest one, and the one that probably was on the 993.
Now I am asking myself what can represent the number 1 instead of the 2 after the 9, inside the color code.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 12-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
Reddy Kilowatt (06-22-2020), Steve Theodore (10-18-2021)
Old 12-25-2018, 10:31 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Limon Gelb or lemon yellow yes possibly a PTS color was also a very common British Leland color on Triumph, MG and Jaguar must have had three or four TR 6 in this color similar to pastel or sunflower yellow ..
Must complement you on your determination yes most to come upon a chassi with this kind of damage would walk away but hey if you can do the lions share yourself it could pay off .. Not likely but possibly haha !
Also and to convert to RS or RSR spec all the more respect if I can be of any assistance I have only recently completed an RS Cup clone so very known model in spec !
Bert
Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

good grief. talk about resurrecting something from the dead! incredible project. with enough patience, time, and money, this thing will be given new life.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:59 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow. Quite the archaeological find.

Lemon Yellow was a Porsche color in the late 80s. Offered for two years, as I recall. For the North American market it was specifically renamed Summer Yellow, to avoid any connection to a "lemon." In North America the term "lemon" is sometimes used to describe a car in poor condition.

I would say you definitely have a lemon though, but in a good way! I think?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Fantastico!

Fantastico! Subscribed

@nothingbutgt3 Please continue to share your jounery, stay positive and focused on your dream/vision, we are all cheering you on. A tale for the ages that will be amazing.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:13 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Amazing!
Good luck in your attempt to actually increase the number of running 993 in the world.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 AM
993AerCooler
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 12-27-2018, 01:03 PM
nothingbutgt3
Rennlist Member

Buon Natale! I shall drink Brunello later today and raise a glass, saluting your remarkable project.
Thank you, raise the glass is always a good idea!

Wow. Quite the archaeological find.

many greetings from the shell

good grief. talk about resurrecting something from the dead! incredible project. with enough patience, time, and money, this thing will be given new life.
In any way I would never like or desire to seem blasphemous, but perhaps who knows, maybe it could be auspicious to this 993 that in the past has been so unlucky, that I started this REBIRTH post exactly on Christmas day!
It was just a case, but an happy one, if I stop and I think about the conditions this car has been in the last 4 years (and still is)...in the fact, probably it has happened the 25 of december because finally I could relax for a moment, rest and maybe take the sums of the past year and plan things to do for the year that comes ...
I truly believe that joyning this community was one of the best action I could do.
Reading all the passion and all your desire to share your knowledge is a big support, believe me. Sharing a little bit of crazyness for these marvellous objects, as well, helps.

almost safe

damn, it hurts

souch a sad expression...

Removing the engine, was really a mess: despite having cleaned so much, dirt everywhere emerged while with the help of a friend we were triying to remove the engine-gearbox block

probably the seat of the fan is made of magnesium alloy, with lower reduction potential than aluminum, it has played the part of a sacrificial anode (as for the boats the zinc)

One of the most difficult things was the removal of the seats, without damaging or cutting the floor or the structure of the seats themselves ... and without the aid of the blowtorch or other products to unlock the screws that secure the seats to the floor .

For each seat, I first had to cut each guide in 4 points: once detached the worm-wheel rail on which the electric motor acts, with the help of a "nice" hammer and a wedge, I managed to slide the seat forward to get to the Allen screws, mostly nailed, on which I then engraved a notch in order to use a longer lever.
It took a long time, but what a satisfaction now to see the floor undamaged.

Next update, images from my trip to germany...

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 10-04-2020 at 06:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
13DM (01-21-2020), Steve Theodore (10-18-2021)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

hey look - another 993 that looks better than my POS.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

It's a cool car in a cool color, but OP, I gotta be real with you. You are going to have to literally replace every single part on this car. Maybe not the engine case and cam housings and a few other aluminum parts. But everything else, from the wiring harness to the gauges to the complete interior to the alternator and distributor, will all need to be replaced. The innards of the gearbox. The CV joints. The window motors. The wiper motor. The sunroof motor. The power steering pump. The steering rack. The ECU, the CCU, the ABS brain, the ABS pump. Every nut and bolt and washer is rusted. You will have to track down and replace every little thing. Maybe you have the money and the time, but it's going to cost you the price of three or four 993's and several years to put this one particular 993 back on the road.
The following users liked this post:
stevensivak (07-22-2020)
Old 12-27-2018, 03:16 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Paolo,
Yes, the fan shroud & fan are both made of magnesium.

I wonder how much additional damage was caused by the excavator - not that there was much choice.

Andreas
Old 12-27-2018, 05:07 PM
nothingbutgt3
Rennlist Member

​But everything else, from the wiring harness to the gauges to the complete interior to the alternator and distributor, will all need to be replaced. The innards of the gearbox. The CV joints. The window motors. The wiper motor. The sunroof motor. The power steering pump. The steering rack. The ECU, the CCU, the ABS brain, the ABS pump. Every nut and bolt and washer is rusted. You will have to track down and replace every little thing.​​​​​​
It will definitely be expensive, but, there is a but, the time factor is very important.
I have no rush, I have already a wonderful 993 in my garage, this one of course will need a new ECU, a new ABS brain, because it's going to be a CUP.
Not more or less a CUP, but a true CUP .
No power windows at all, non A/C, no heating, no Venter locking, nothing.
I planned to make it step by step: now it is time for the chassis and body work, but I am already having a look around and taking infos about everything else is needed.
Then if it'll take 4/5/6/7 years, I DON'T CARE.
People very often spend resourses for investment, I am making an investment as well, putting effort doing what i like in my free time, when I can.

Instead of losing my time watching political forum on the TV, or watching Sport, or silly programs (just my personal opinion), thanks God now I know what to do when i am home and dont really know what to do: how do you name this, hobby maybe?
There are people spending thousand dollar going tuna fishing, or skiing, or whatever.
This is something I can do at home, very practical, and I must say, also refreshing: the time I spend there doesn't encrease my tiredness at the end of the day, or during the weekend, but it relaxes me.
It is like having meditation...
And I think it is a great opportunity to know this amazing creature in every single part, every single bolt.
People throw away money in things without knowing why, just because the society is asking to do it, I am doing something because I decided it.
Name me anarchic if you like it: at least in our free time, can't we decide what to do?

But I think you are right, it is not a think one can do making comrpomises: it is a Porsche, no compromise at all.
I wanted a track car, now I can build it.

Does it scares me a bit?
Yes
Am I going to renounce? No.
It is something electrifying, to me...everyone is different. I respect others point of view.
If one would have asked me whatbi could think about such a project started by someone else, I would probably have thought the same.
But now, not anymore, at all

Probably is like having children, you can really understand it when you got one.
Because probably the mind changes it's perspective...

And another thing, very remarkable, so very much appreciated, I met person sharing the same passion inside the Porsche World...how much would you value the enrichment as a side effect of such a project?
I think you cannot give a value to human relations, it is priceless.
OK, maybe I am in a loop and I don't see the rest: so, let's loop.
The following 9 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
993Lady (05-15-2021), AK993 (05-25-2020), darkgable79 (05-17-2021), evilfij (07-07-2020), FlatSix911 (02-14-2022), servalx (12-11-2020), Steve Theodore (10-18-2021), TheDangerZone (01-03-2021), Toastypie (01-07-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Great attitude. Penso che tu non sei sposato?
Not as ambitious to any extent but over the years I have gradually changed my std '94 into an RS replica using all genuine Porsche parts. In other words I have made my car less valuable by spending a fortune. The latest is Vram conversion inspired by JM993 (who unfortunately was banned by this forum). Non me frega niente.
So I say good luck keep at it and the next time I am in Firenze I will come to see you. We stay at Fiesole.
My sons came to see my latest project this Christmas.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Good luck my friend. It's a hard project but a wonderful one. Sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into.
nothingbutgt3 (05-20-2020)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Paulo,
Your 993 has a similar car (Bugatti) that was underwater in a lake in Switzerland for many years, now resting in a museum in California...
FlatSix911 (02-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute