Sponsored by: DashLynx

Learn from my mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Learn from my mistake....

I posted below about a problem with my DIY of distributor caps and rotors. I think I have pin pointed the problem of a hissing sound, thanks to Steve W. Here is where the lesson comes in. When replacing the distributor caps and rotors make sure the rotors click onto the shaft. I pushed hard on them but did not make them click. Also, be very careful with those screws that hold them on. I tried to get the upper distributor cap off to fix the sound problem and stripped both screws. The car is now going to the shop to have somebody else deal with it.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish I would have seen the earlier post

There is a little trick to the distibutor screws, messed one up the forst time too! I found out from a freind who is an independant in Sacramento on how to avoid this common problem:

You first tighten the screws by tapping lightly on the end of the screw driver with a hammer to break them loose. Then turn them ccw also with a light tapping and they should come out.

If they are stripped, they are not too hard to drill out to remove the screw heads.

Happened to me!!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:07 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

When removing my distributor cap screws, I rigged up a setup using a ratchet instead of a screwdriver. I stuck a philips bit into a socket and used the socket's ratchet. Then you can apply more downward force (to prevent the bit from stripping the head) and you have a lot of leverage to turn it. My $0.02
Old 02-01-2004, 01:17 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a similar thing to Eric. I used a screw driver that has an end that a box end wrench fits on. I could then put all my pressure downward on the screw driver and turn it using the wrench.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:26 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 227 Posts

Good information - thank you. Track Junke, sorry to hear about your problems and I really appreciate you sharing your learnings.

I plan on doing my first belt/plugs/rotors/caps in the near future, so this info is very usefull.

Quick Reply: Learn from my mistake....