Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help with no charge after new alitinator replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with no charge after new alitinator replaced.

I heard a bearing noise so I replaced the fan bearing, that was the issue. I then while I was there on my 1995 I dedicated to change my alternator, figured I would never have to change another and it was good insurance. My charring system worked fine.

New alternator and now my charging light is on and my ABS light. It's charging at 11.47 and will hold that and not go any lower. With lights on it goes to 11.39 will not go any lower. If you rev the engine it will drop to 11. 36 and no lower and at idle it jumps back up to 11.47.

I know I installed it right....everything works in the car perfectly. It sounds perfect.

I'm guessing the ABS light will either go off or I have to reset it.

Did I do something wrong with programming I don't know about?

It's an OEM Porsche alternator.

Any input apricated before I have to tear back into it. It has 3 wires and they are all bolted on correctly, its impossible not to.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

What do you mean by OEM? Bosch remanufactured?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Rockit
Racer

New from Porsche dealer.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Even at idle should be charging at 13.5 vdc plus up to 14.25 vdc when rpm is higher. You probably know this already. The voltages you’re seeing indicate battery only on the bus. Doesn’t appear the new alternator is on line.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:37 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

^ agreed. less than12V is a battery being discharged. Should be 12.5 - 13.something. Maybe higher at revs.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Rockit
Racer

I know...the old Alt was charging 14 and change at idle.

It was ordered by Vin so its right. The regulator must be bad or maybe the brushes are not engaged when assembled.

I disconnected the battery when working on it.

does anyone know if the car has a main fuse? All fuses are fine and relays.

Ill end up getting the old one rebuilt and put it back in. Once you break the seal on the new Porsche box there is no returns. I guess Ill have that checked , fixed and sell that.

weird.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:13 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Programming? Not sure any programming is involved. Do you have a quality multimeter, like a fluke, when measuring charging voltage?

It would stand to reason that if you did everything correctly, everything should be good to go. Did you check functionality of the alternator prior to installation? Most auto parts stores can and will do this free of charge.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by nine9six
Programming? Not sure any programming is involved. Do you have a quality multimeter, like a fluke, when measuring charging voltage?

It would stand to reason that if you did everything correctly, everything should be good to go. Did you check functionality of the alternator prior to installation? Most auto parts stores can and will do this free of charge.
I have a Fluke..good one.

I've spoken to a friend that owns a shop and he is telling me how many brand new, not rebuilt alternators are bad he does. I've changed a dozen or more with never a problem, never changed one on a 993 but can change it now quickly so....that's what I will do tomorrow, get this out and have it tested at my friends brothers shop. Sucks I just had everything coated..almost imposable to not scratched part of the outer fan housing.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:24 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

You might be able to do some diagnostics if you can get to the connectors on the back of the engine but likely easier to just pull the alternator. When you're there, check the connections and ground strap/cable.
I feel your pain. I'm doing lifters after replacing the plugs just a few weeks ago. Deja vu!!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
while I was there on my 1995 I dedicated to change my alternator, figured I would never have to change another and it was good insurance. My charring system worked fine..
May be suffering from somewhat flawed logic, the original OEM alternator supplied at manufacturing is designed and tested to a very high standard of durability. A Service New ( supplied in the aftermarket through the Porsche dealer network or directly from Bosch is not built with the same level of controls as the OE supplied and may not be as durable.

Any aftermarket alternator can be bad out-of-the-box so this may be your next investigation after you have had your battery tested and the wire connections checked.
"While I'm in there" a common phrase I here on Rennlist, one, in my opinion. should be avoided unless there is a compelling reason, swapping out an expensive component that is working properly may not fall into this category.
Andy
Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Rockit
Racer

So I'm getting good at this...pulled the alternator out in 1.5 ….its cold here in NJ and the engine was nice and warm. I do have a heated garage but..cold is cold 28 degrees.

I checked and I had 12 volts at the back of the alternator and I tested the grounds and they were both good.

I took the alt apart and checked the brushes and windings....one of the winding my be bad. I'm going to bring this a rebuilder Monday.

Thanks for all the help...I thought there might have been something special I had to do I missed. Goes to show you a brand new Porsche part can be bad. I noticed Porsche put tags on parts where they are made, most are made in Germany, some in Poland and china I've seen. This part had no tags were it was made, it is hard cast Germany in the case but not sure about the other parts.

Nice way to spend Saturday night..

Last edited by Rockit; 12-12-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:50 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

If it's defective the dealer has to take it back.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Correct. FWIW, a new Porsche alternator comes with a 2-year warranty.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:10 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Correct. FWIW, a new Porsche alternator comes with a 2-year warranty.
After it's been taken apart?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Rockit
Racer

It's a lot more than that. You have to buy another one full price, than send your old one back and some day you get a refund after Germany tests it and its bad.

I gave it to a local rebuilder to have it tested. Right away he told me its rebuild from Bosh. I'm really pissed but I'm waiting for the results on what he finds bad. He also told me Porsche he believes does not make new alternators for these cars anymore. The windings have been shot blasted and not shinny brass is the giveaway it's rebuilt.

When I know more I'll post. The part, whatever it is to fix it are cheap and I would rather get it fixed an a few days than wait...I know no one else would.

If I find this was advertised by the dealer as new, I'm going to fight them, nothing in anything advertised or in writing says its rebuilt.

Last edited by Rockit; 12-12-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with no charge after new alitinator replaced.