Sponsored by:

New short shifter for 993/TTs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:01 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New short shifter for 993/TTs??

B&M is apparently close to introducing a short shifter for the 993 family. It is supposed to eliminate the need on the C4s and TTs to hammer out the tunnel cover. No specs yet, but as soon as I have them I will post them here...

Old 01-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I better start making a list.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New short shifter for 993/TTs??

Originally posted by viperbob
It is supposed to eliminate the need on the C4s and TTs to hammer out the tunnel cover.
I'd be a shame if other's can't experience taking a hammer to their cars.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:53 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the throw be shorter than what we have now?

-nelson
Old 01-30-2004, 09:02 AM
4 Play
Intermediate

Would this also apply to a NB C4? I know the standard short shift kit won't fit the C4, but is this the same situation as the C4s and TT?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-30-2004, 09:46 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Dave / Nelson

I do not have any more specifics at this time. I will post more info as to specs, cost, etc....
Old 01-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Viperbob:

That is interesting and good news. I'll be looking forward to a review on the B&M Kit when it becomes available.

Jeff: I'm with you. Until you've hit your 993 with a hammer or or bent something on it with a baseball bat I'm not sure you truly own it!

Hank
Old 01-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Hank Cohn
I'm with you. Until you've hit your 993 with a hammer or or bent something on it with a baseball bat I'm not sure you truly own it!

LOL! First weekend at the track in my race car I had to take a jack handle to one of the fenders as the lip was rubbing. Friend laughed and said that now it was mine!

Regarding the short shifter, I have the factory one and my mechanic installed it without hammering out the tunnel. He said he installed one of the parts upside down and it fit just fine. Some might consider it a downside but my shifter is raised up a bit and is much closer to the steering wheel. In a street car I probably wouldn't want it but for a race/track it is great.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
LOL! First weekend at the track in my race car I had to take a jack handle to one of the fenders as the lip was rubbing. Friend laughed and said that now it was mine!

Regarding the short shifter, I have the factory one and my mechanic installed it without hammering out the tunnel. He said he installed one of the parts upside down and it fit just fine. Some might consider it a downside but my shifter is raised up a bit and is much closer to the steering wheel. In a street car I probably wouldn't want it but for a race/track it is great.
I agree about banging you car! I haven't don much but when taking the cats out, I had to us the hammer, I hope that qualifies.

Short shifter: that's how you do it always with rear wheel drive cars(turning the plastic guide tube "holders" upside down), it's only in 4WD cars that have to bang metal.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Flying Finn
Short shifter: that's how you do it always with rear wheel drive cars(turning the plastic guide tube "holders" upside down), it's only in 4WD cars that have to bang metal.
Gotcha! Viken emailed me the same info. I didn't take part in the install as I was scraping glue out of the inside of the car at the time
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Gotcha! Viken emailed me the same info. I didn't take part in the install as I was scraping glue out of the inside of the car at the time
Yeah right, I heard that you were having a beer break while your mechanic was busting his *** under the car!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is their any truth to the notion that short shifters put more stress on the transmission/synchros and thus create premature wear?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,

IMO the short shifter can have no affect on your synchros or other trans parts. Synchro wear is caused by making fast shifts when the rpms are poorly matched. The short shifter allows you to make a shift with 30% (or so) less movement of the gear ****. Its possible that with that speed-up, some drivers may be tempted to shift faster, thereby increasing the rpm mis-match... but this is all under the control of the driver... as it should be. Good driving/shifting habits can make your clutch/synchros last almost indefinetly.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New short shifter for 993/TTs??

Originally posted by viperbob
It is supposed to eliminate the need on the C4s and TTs to hammer out the tunnel cover. No specs yet, but as soon as I have them I will post them here...

My C2 required also hammering to make some 3 mm additional clearance. I have Weltmeister SSK. Otherwise very high quality product. Improved "teutonic/mechanic" shift feel.

Jack
Old 01-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve:

Mike is right here,..............

To reduce the throw at the shift ****, short shifters change the fulcrum and increase the RATE at which the shift rod is moved.

One might think they are shifting slowly, but the rod/selector moves quicker and it does affect syncro wear,...

I happen to like short shifters but there are no free lunches, Sir.

FWIW, the B&M units have had mixed reviews from the 996 crowd so I'd offer a general caveat on them right now.

Quick Reply: New short shifter for 993/TTs??