Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving a 993 to sit for a month, any issues/recs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,066 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Details on how that works with respect to voltage and time?

Same for charging with voltage regulators offering different voltage cutoffs.
Well the voltage is monitored within the battery using not just the voltage but also time and speed of the voltage discharge. So it won't cut off during start attempts that drop it below a certain voltage. It only puts itself to sleep when it notices there is a longer term discharge happening.

In regards to charging that does not matter...For example 12v systems are standardized in Automobiles for the most part with mild variations. Meaning, in general the car will put out from 13.8v to 14.8v but generally staying around 14s while charging. And within that they are in most all cases regulated to not go above 15v.... so these voltages are where Lithium operates, and is recharged perfectly. The ONLY time when charging is any issues is when using a Stand Alone charging from a plug in Lead/Acid Charger. Some of these units are made to DE-SULPHATE a Lead/Acid battery, and that will encompass spiking voltage well above 15 to achieve the Desulfation process. Lithium does not like to see that and cold be damaged, and even though our battery has over-charge production high voltage spikes are not desired. So we say to stay away from a Lead/Acid charger. But within the car they charge fine because the cars system does not have the Desulphate mode.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
In regards to charging that does not matter....
I'd love to see one of the batteries (that has failed) opened up to see what the circuitry looks like.

Like any battery, I am assuming these have multiple cells in series. Li-Ion cells like a charge voltage no higher than about 4.2V per cell and that needs to be controlled which is why so many single cell Li-Ion batteries (phones, cameras) last so long as it is easy to control the end voltage. Curious as to how that is done in a multi-cell car battery? On a FLA battery, well who cares if one cell is overcharged over the other; in fact you can apply 16V for cell balancing.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:46 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 289 Posts

Wow I am an idiot I totally forgot about this thread

but as an update

All I can say is you gotta love Porsche. My old man left the car sitting for over a month, and told me last night the car started right up as he took it for a drive to shake off the cobwebs and I told him to get the fluids moving in the car. We were both too lazy/tired to do anything in regards to his battery (lol) and just took a chance, very impressed

Appreciate all the advice from everyone chiming in and I have this in my back pocket if he's going to push his luck and leave the car sitting for a longer period of time (could happen)

Quick Reply: Leaving a 993 to sit for a month, any issues/recs?