Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valentine One X Band

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 09:44 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the V1 above the rear view mirror, I used the suction cups with double sided foam tape inside the suction cups. It has been there for 1 year with no problems.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Pet Lech sez:
[quote]Now I am getting frequent Laser alerts, which I never have gotten before. They may be coinciding at times with the speed-dependent signal to raise the tail, but not always. <hr></blockquote>

Pete, for years I got no Laser warnings; now am getting them about once a drive. No cops in the area; PA isn't authorized to use Laser radar. No change in mounting of the Valentine and no change in the car. Go figure.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:56 PM
dwygrsshpr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding false Laser Detections:

Cetain wavelengths of light can trigger the laser detector (also certain electronic signals - try your digital camera near the V1 while it's powered).

First incident - Travelling up the superhighway in a snow storm (in my truck, not p-car). Overhead emergency billboard lights up indicating road hazards ahead - alarm goes off like crazy and causes a minute heart attack as what smokey would have the cajones to be out in a snow storm lazing people for speeding.

Second incident - pulled up to an Asian Take-Out place and they had red neon covering the front like their uncle worked for the distributor of the Pep Boy undercar neon "performance" systems. Again, alarms like the Emergency Broadcasting System.

Third incident (and another reason to hate SUVS as if there weren't enough) - a large black Escalade w/ Limo tint and the standard 20" wheels cuts in front of me on the highway. Has the new-fangled LED brake lights. His left foot braking technique makes it look like he has his hazards going. The constant LED pulse drives the V1 crazy - I finally had to turn it off.

Bottom line - Laser guns use a a certain wavelength - the V1 is tuned to that and consequently, any input along that side of the band will trigger the alarm. Is it me or is the laser alert that much louder and piercing than the K/Ka band? It also arrives with that sinking feeling that the officer is already on his way after you.....

The Mark I eyeball backed up by the Valentine's electronics has kept me from getting any tickets when so equipped with the V1....
Old 03-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
My V1 would get a false alarm in my E36 M3 when I would use the pull the headlight stalk to flash the high beams. Anyone know why? I sure don't but it would fool the V1 into thinking it was a instant on attack. Weird
Greg
Old 03-12-2002, 05:52 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<strong>for years I got no Laser warnings; now am getting them about once a drive</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ray - Must be your radiant personality, as you mellow with age
Old 03-12-2002, 09:40 PM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Since we are discussing installation locations, can anyone tell me how they hard-wired their V1 unit in above the rear view mirror? Did you pick up the power from the courtesy light or did you run a line up the side and top moldings? I have a 1996 targa that I am interested in hardwiring for the V1.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:43 PM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Since we are discussing installation locations, can anyone tell me how they hard-wired their V1 unit in above the rear view mirror? Did you pick up the power from the courtesy light or did you run a line up the side and top moldings? I have a 1996 targa that I am interested in hardwiring for the V1.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:25 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by randyvitaha:
<strong>Since we are discussing installation locations, can anyone tell me how they hard-wired their V1 unit in above the rear view mirror? Did you pick up the power from the courtesy light or did you run a line up the side and top moldings?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Much in the archives, including <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001149" target="_blank">this comprehensive thread from January, 2002.</a>

Quick Reply: Valentine One X Band