Sponsored by:

Valentine One X Band

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 03:28 PM
Martin Reuben
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Valentine One X Band

Having just installed the V1 in my Targa, I was wondering if I should just disable the X-Band completely. Does anyone still use this band?

Most of my driving is in urban/surburban areas around Cleveland. I'd like to quiet this thiing down a bit if I can.

Thx,

Martin Reuben
mdreuben@attbi.com
<a href="http://www.reubenphoto.com" target="_blank">www.reubenphoto.com</a>
Old 03-10-2002, 04:22 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can do that, but you should not. The Valentine web site has directions, but having recently moved from Cleveland, I can attest that some local police and Highway Patrol are using low power, intant on X band, It is very effective, as most detecter owners ignore X-Band.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Martin Reuben
Track Day

Old 03-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Martin Reuben
Track Day

Old 03-10-2002, 05:35 PM
Martin Reuben
Track Day

[quote]Originally posted by Mark D - 993TT CA:
<strong>You can do that, but you should not. The Valentine web site has directions, but having recently moved from Cleveland, I can attest that some local police and Highway Patrol are using low power, intant on X band, It is very effective, as most detecter owners ignore X-Band.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks,

I didn't realize that X-Band could be used in that way. What cities in N.E. Ohio are using radar this way?
Old 03-10-2002, 06:22 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Martin Reuben:
<strong>

Thanks,

I didn't realize that X-Band could be used in that way. What cities in N.E. Ohio are using radar this way?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I has been about a year, so I do not recall very well. I am pretty sure the Highway Patrol was using that, in some cases (Maybe Indiana as well). I was mainly on the east side, so it would have been Mayfield Heights or thereabouts. I lived in Pepper Pike and it was not them.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Cool

Try this. Use it in normal mode (large "A") for about two weeks of normal driving, in places you will travel frequently.

After you begin to figure out where all the X-band alerts are (most are automatic doors), then you can decide if it is worth moving up to the small "L" logic mode (not the large L). I use the small L for my Benz, I have a K40 remote system with laser defuser in the 996 Cab.

If you notice a lot of X-band alerts and then see visible evidence of police radar, you should leave it in "A" mode.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-11-2002, 11:56 AM
esb97targa
Instructor

Martin,
Just wondering where you mounted your V-1. Looks like we have the same vehicle, and I have my V-1 mounted to the windshield via suction cups. If you have it mounted differently, I'd be interested to hear.
Thanks,
Evan
Old 03-11-2002, 11:57 AM
esb97targa
Instructor

Martin,
Just wondering where you mounted your V-1. Looks like we have the same vehicle, and I have my V-1 mounted to the windshield via suction cups. If you have it mounted differently, I'd be interested to hear.
Thanks,
Evan
Old 03-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Martin Reuben
Track Day

[quote]Originally posted by esb97targa:
<strong>Martin,
Thanks,
Evan</strong><hr></blockquote>

I mounted it above the rear view mirror, but didn't use the suction cups. I used automotive mirror adhesive and directly mounted the plastic assembly directy to the glass. Went up clean and rock solid. (Thanks to Dan for giving me the germ of an idea of where to start it).

Mounted the remote in the ash tray.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:59 PM
john.rogers
Intermediate

Has anyone mounted Valentine detector above the rear view mirror in a Cabriolet? I like that spot since it is relatively inconspicuous but I am concerned that the rear facing detector mode would be blocked by the Cab's rear window placement. Anyone have any experience with this?

Any other suggestions for an inconpsicuous mounting place.

Thanks,
Old 03-11-2002, 02:38 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Martin Reuben:
<strong>I mounted it above the rear view mirror, but didn't use the suction cups. I used automotive mirror adhesive and directly mounted the plastic assembly directy to the glass. Went up clean and rock solid. (Thanks to Dan for giving me the germ of an idea of where to start it).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Martin
Happy to be of help. I considered using glue as you did, which would have been easier than my method. I was concerned about damaging the black material (paint?) at the top of the glass if/when the mount would be removed. Any thoughts?

John
Here in St. Louis our Science Center has kindly installed constantly on radar guns in a highway pedestrian overpass to amuse the kiddies (Many drivers speed up to make their day). Makes a great detector test area. That's how I determined the V1 works fine above the rear view mirror in a coupe. I wouldn't think the cab top/window would interfere much w/a radar signal. Assuming you don't have as easy a "testing" location where you live, you could try it using false alarms from door openers. You're looking for similar performing front, side & rear arrows w/different V1 mounting points versus suction cupped to the windshield w/clear view out the back.

BTW, suction cups alone above the rear view mirror will NOT hold.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Bill Z
Advanced

I have mine hardwired and mounted above the mirror of my Cab, and have noted no decreased performance. I have two V1 units and test mounted one low and one high and saw really no difference. I do mostly city driving and leave mine set to the most filtered mode, big "L" I think. I find that if I get too many false alarms that I tend to ignore the detector and run the risk of ignoring a true alarm. Also, even in this most filtered mode, the V1 will give full alarm value to a high strength X signal. Bill Z
Old 03-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently hardwired my Valentine One using the 12Vpower source behind the radio.

Now I am getting frequent Laser alerts, which I never have gotten before. They may be coinciding at times with the speed-dependent signal to raise the tail, but not always.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:07 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pete
No problems in almost 2 yrs of operation from that same power source. Suggest you try running the V1 from the cig lighter for awhile to rule out voltage fluctuations, etc. on the hard wired circuit.

Quick Reply: Valentine One X Band