993 Forum 1995-1998

Just received a ppi report in a 993 - cost of these repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Deutsch993
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just received a ppi report in a 993 - cost of these repairs

I’m looking at purchasing a 95 993 and had a PPI done. This is what they found and I wanted to get your advice on the severity and cost to fix this (pro as I am a novice DIY). It has not had its 60K service as well, will some of this be covered or are these repairs extra? I’m all maintaining these classics but I am worried that this may be more work than other 993s.

** Found: Brake fluid <1% moisture, front brakes 8mm, rear brakes 7mm, slight oil seep at intake boots for throttle body, front timing cover leaking on both sides, rear differential seeping at axle, front sway bar end links cracking, rear shocks leaking, hood shocks worn, belts lightly worn, front tires 7mm, rear tires 7mm. all interior appliances working,
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I recently did my 60k service and resealed the engine top to bottom and did front and rear brakes. Parts and labor were $5000. For suspension figure probably another $2-$3k to refresh what are now 25 year old parts front and rear.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Found: Brake fluid <1% moisture, front brakes 8mm, rear brakes 7mm, - Not an issue, flush the brake fluid every two or three years and change the brake pads when the friction material is observed to be thinner than the backing plate or the light goes on on the dash - no cost here
slight oil seep at intake boots for throttle body- A small amount of oil is ingested into the intake during normal operation also an oil change overfill will cause excess oil to be ingested that can cause oil to weep from the boot, not a repair, just check the oil level with a hot engine while running.
front timing cover leaking on both sides, Oil leaks are common, my opinion is if it is not dripping on the heat exchanger causing odor or making an objectionably large stain on the floor, no action is required. Simply a little weeping is not a big deal.
rear differential seeping at axle, I am assuming they speak of the constant velocity joint boot being greasy. A leaking boot should be replaced as the loss of grease and the egress of dirt into the boot is not good. You should be able to get all four boots replaced for between $300 & $600 dollars at an independent garage.
front sway bar end links cracking, The must be speaking of the rubber grease boots. Replacement boots are just a few dollars and an hour of labor to put them on. Cracked boots do not mean you need new drop links for the ends of the bars.
rear shocks leaking, A complete set of street H&R coil-overs runs a little over $2000 plus a few hundred dollars in labor to install them. Beyond that for the performance oriented the sky is the limit.
hood shocks worn, meaning won't hold up the hood. These are an eBay item for $100 or less for two. If you are reasonably handy it is a DIY project to replace them. The trick is that removing and attaching the lower body connection is really done by feel as it is hard to see that end of the strut. Som just keep a prop-stick in the frunk and never replace the shocks.
belts lightly worn - three belts as a DYI about two hours of work. Avoid over tensioning them as it will potentially shorten the life of the alternator's and fan's bearings or cause the fan to rub in its housing. I use a belt tensioning gauge to avoid this.
7mm front tires 7mm, rear tire, lots of beef left, however, if the tires are older and exhibit cracking on the side walls you should consider replacing them. A set of tires runs from about $500 to $1500 depending on you personal preference. Mounting is about $25 a wheel end.

Here is my comprehensive list of opinions on service items for the 993, don't let it frighten you as most will not apply to your car at this time:
Andy's List
Hope you decide to go for it and join the community of owners.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 11-17-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:37 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

^^Really good post there by Andy.

The items I'd be most concerned about are (1) timing chain cover leaks, since it's very expensive to replace. But if it's minor then don't bother. (2) inspection looks pretty superficial, i.e. no compression or leak down.

If I may add, hood shocks are $16 each (need two) at autohausaz.com, and it's really simple diy. And you can get new rear shocks for much less than $2k obviously.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Look at the attached list of what is on the 60k service. Many items are take-a-look or really simple stuff you can do yourself rather than pay a guy $125 an hour to do for you
With owners now having 20+ years of experience with these cars certain items scheduled for a replacement such as belts, plugs, fuel filter and cabin filter turn out to have much longer service lives and may not be needed at 60K.
Basic items like an oil change and filter for most is an every 5K miles item.
If you would like to discuss this a little before committing to the considerable and in some aspects unnecessary expense shoot me a private message to discuss.
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Owners service schedule 993.pdf (113.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Deutsch993
5th Gear

Thank you!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Deutsch993
5th Gear

Super helpful, any major services needed after
Old 11-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Deutsch993
5th Gear

Thanks Andy - PM forthcoming!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

The suspension can be a rabbit hole. A leaking shock is easy and (relatively) cheap to replace. But, you know, do the rest need to be replaced? Are you going to put in new springs while you're in there? If you're lowering the car with the springs maybe you want to put in Bilstein PSS10s instead. And then you're going to need a 4-wheel alignment. Suddenly the cheap and easy job is up to $4k or more (depending on labor prices where you live).

There are plenty of threads about suspensions -- which shocks, which springs, other components. If the suspension is still original plan on putting in at least new shocks all around and think about whether you want more while you're in there, and look at the suspension threads.....
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Seems the shop might have missed the distributor rebuild which is not obvious. It either works or it doesn't but at almost 25 years, have a look to see what shape the belt is in as a minimum. Then check the bearings as they are the cause of a belt failing.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:19 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 380 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Deutsch993
I’m all maintaining these classics but I am worried that this may be more work than other 993s.

Good for you for considering a 993.

Good for you for getting a PPI.

Everything on your list is pretty typical for these cars. I would want to do a full maintenance baseline on the car - all fluids, filters and belts. Unless you have evidence that it's been done, I'd also do the full ignition system (spark plugs, wires, distributor caps, rotors, etc.).

I would also recommend a suspension refresh with any 993 because the factor suspension didn't last.

An air cooled car with some minor oil seeping? Well, it's just part of it.

Bottom line there is nothing really out of the ordinary with your list. Buy the car if it's the one you want, just make sure you have some budget to do the maintenance. The good news is these cars tend to be pretty reliable once you get them sorted out.

Good luck.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 11-18-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Just received a ppi report in a 993 - cost of these repairs