Sponsored by:

SoCal members... Ortega Highway 74???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SoCal members... Ortega Highway 74???

I'll be picking up my 993 this Friday in AZ and will be driving it back to the docks in Long beach for shipping to Hawaii on Monday. Plan to drive from Phoenix to Palm Springs on Saturday and stay the night there. Then on Sunday, drive from Palm Springs to San Juan Capistrano via Highway 74... the Ortega Highway instead of the interstates through L.A.

Have any of you driven this road and what can I expect? Is this a good idea or not? I chose it because of the twisty mountain roads it encompasses. I figured this would be a good shake down run for the car. Any advice on this? I've heard it's a cop magnet and that bikes and imports run there a lot... true?

Thanks,
Kelly Kim
Old 01-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just took that route eastbound last Friday.

It is an excellent road, pavement wise. There are virtually no places to pass, and some inconsiderate drivers who won't use turnouts, but be patient and enjoy the drive. It is a very pretty canyon. It is definitely a far better choice that the 91 Fwy.

Watch for Motorcycles, as there are lots of them out on Sundays heading East for breakfast at the Cliff House overlooking Lake Elsinore. This also means lots of Highway Patrol units, so watch your speed west of the twisties.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:39 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It has been many years sense I drove it but it is absolutely a fun twisty road. You also hit the nail on the head about the bikes and cops. Guys on bikes LOVE Ortega hwy but unfortunately quite a few get killed every year which of course brings out the police. Have fun and enjoy the drive but don't expect to be able to get a true "shake down run".
Old 01-28-2004, 01:08 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Kelly,

Hope you claim your car with an empty tank. Put in a bottle of Techron, fill up and then let it rip. It will be a great run to cleanse your engine.

CP
Old 01-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great drive. 'Best to do it early AM on the weekend if you can. I understand commuters use it during the week. I've never seen the police, but I have run into a lot of hogs - and we're not talkin' pork.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:41 AM
LarryN
Advanced

Have driven Ortega for many years, know it very well. In the past it was a prime road for any sporting vehicle, years ago a much younger version of me had been known to blitz it on motocycles and sports cars as well (too much fun). BUT... these days it is rated as the most dangerous road in the county per number of vehicles traveled. Plus, there are double fine zones and usually it's full of "road furniture" (slow drivers that can't seem to grasp the concept of using turnouts). So, enjoy but be patient, sane & careful.
-Larry
Old 01-28-2004, 01:46 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, guys for the info. I guess I will be taking that route to get to Long Beach. This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get from all of you. My fiancee will be along as my navigator so I guess we'll just settle back and enjoy the scenery and the ride.

Is 74 from lake elsinore to palm springs the same way... crowded and slow? I was hoping that would only be on the western side of elsinore.

cp- I thought of doing the techron tip, but the car has just had it's 45k servicing compliments of the PO and I didn't want to drive the next 7k miles with that in the oil. I will do it right before my next oil change, though. Once I get the car back to Hawaii, my daily commute has some awesome mountain driving and this car will be used to do that duty. ie.. run hard.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 AM
Eddy
Advanced

Drove the ortega last Sunday, great drive for some reason it was uncrowded going east @ 11:00 AM and returning @ 3:00PM. A few motorcycles, no the 74 to Palm Springs from Elsinore is not canyons/mountains, relatively flat through some small towns and rural areas. have a great drive, but do be carefull, like posted earlier, it is considered the reddest piece of pavement in California, due to crazies passing over the double yellow on blind curves, but safe if you drive sensibly.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:30 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Highway 74 out of Palm Desert is as good a shakedown road as you'll find around this valley. It's steep, twisty and very scenic. The first 6 or 8 miles are the best- 4000 ft elevation gain happens before you know it.
There are some gapers who wont yield but most will. WATCH FOR BICYCLISTS.
I live a mile from there and drive it often....... many times for fun. Bring a good radar detector.

Congratulations
CJ
Old 01-28-2004, 03:18 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelly,
You are more than welcome to join some Rennlisters on a Sunday morning drive in Malibu. I can PM the details if you'd like or just look for the Malibu Run Feb 1 thread. The runs are usually quite "entertaining".
Addison
Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Another option for Sunday if you are free is the Dunkel Porsche Swapmeet in Anaheim just a mile or so south of Disneyland. Hundreds of Porsches on display and the Dunkels Auto Museum besides the swapmeet. People come from all over the world for this weekend. Saturday is the Porsche Memmorabilia Meet at the LAX Hilton and Sunday is Dunkels.
Addison.... you should direct yor malibu run down south to this event!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:51 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Highway 74 is a good Porsche road. Nice views of the Coachella Valley as you are leaving the desert. We stay in Palm Springs from mid Feb to mid March and drive that road each year. There is a big hot 2500 car hotrod meet at Temecula in mid Feb that I like to drive to. Several years ago we towed our trailer over that route to get to San Diego. Traffic varies so the earlier in the day the smoother sailing you will find.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Dane k.
Instructor

Kelly...Leave Palm Springs "REAL EARLY"5-6am, make the Ortega RUN and then get to the Dunkel Bros. Porsche meet. You'll be glad you did...Dane

Quick Reply: SoCal members... Ortega Highway 74???