Sponsored by:

OT: Where to stay in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Randy M
Pin, That off road part can be a little crazy. My wife and I took that loop once. Nobody around for miles then we go around a bend and there is this giant Polynesian guy selling giant marijuana buds on foot long sticks!!! From that I gathered things are a little different on the backside......
I totally agree with you on the "crazy" part, Randy

Driving a Miata at the edge of the cliff next to the ocean was pretty scary. We didn't expect that at all.

The off-road part was really bumpy, my body was still shaking when we reached to the paved road
Old 01-27-2004, 06:40 PM
ry322
Advanced

Alright! I may be able to contribute something useful since I live in Hawaii.
It seems you want a nice, peaceful, and relaxing stay. On Oahu, I'd recommend the Ihilani resort on west Oahu or the Turtle Bay Hilton on the north shore. You wanna see some big surf it's on the north shore, 15+ foot waves right now.

On Maui, I'd also recommend the Kaanapali area. There's several affordable condo options there. If you love golf be sure to play a round at Kapalua where they host the Mercedes Championship. For dining out in the Kaanapali area, I'd recommend Plantation Veranda at the Kapalua resort, Swan Court at the Hyatt, and Roy's in Kaanapali.
Wailea/Kihei is also beautiful. I believe they also have condos there. You must take a drive to the town of Hana. The drive there is spectacular. Let's see, on the drive there's 55-57 waterfalls/bridges/ cliffs/pools, etc, etc. If you go to Hana you must see/hike/swim the seven sacred pools. Haleakala crater is also a must see. You'd think you were on the moon.

On Kauai, there's Princeville. Lot of condo choices there. Places to see are Hanalei Bay, Wailua River, Waimea Canyon( mini Grand Canyon), etc.

On the Big Island, the Kona coast has a lot of resorts. i have the least experience there.

On Lanai, There's Manele Bay Resort and The Koele Lodge..very, very beautiful and secluded. Kind of pricey though but worth it. Voted top ten in the world in one of those travel magazine.

Phew! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:33 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I prefer Kauai for its spectacular beauty. But if you have just a few days and literally want to do nothing, the Grand Wailea http://www.grandwailea.com/ on Maui cannot be beat - just be warned that it may spoil every other hotel for you going forward. The Princeville Resort http://www.princeville.com/index-flash.html on Kauai is of a similar vein and would also be a good choice - particularly if you want to have things to do during the day other than sit by the pool.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Oh man, don't get me going. Got your place - The Big Island - Volcano House Hotel, on top of the ... Volcano! Well under $200 a night ($175 for crater view, only $100 for other view!!!!). It doesn't have a pidly view of the boring old ocean , anyone can see the ocean, this has the view of Kilauea Crater with the sulphur rising from it's basin. It reeks - a nice reek! Rotten egg smell 24/7 outside. I will never forget my 2 night stay there. AMAZING, and the cheapest place we stayed. Nice, decent room. Not as nice as our Westin Maui or 5 star Mauni Lani in Kona, or Westin in Kauai but nice enough. It's a Nat Pk Service place. Got lost in the crater on a long walk one day and panicked! It was getting dark and we didn't know where we were. It's funny now. We made it out alive! It looks like the suface of the moon there.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:10 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be very partial in this and say to stay on Kauai, if you want peace and quiet.

If you've been to a large city, you've been to Oahu... traffic, high rises, crowds... Maui is on it's way to being another Oahu, so more of the same, but on a lesser scale... still, not my idea of paradise. Molokai/Lanai are nice and quiet, but a bit too remote. The Big Island, I like, and offers a lot of diversity from desert to tropics. Just be ready to travel a few hundred miles to get from one place to the next... that's why it's called the BIG island.

Kauai is the vision of paradise that someone stuck in your head as a youngster when you were growing up. It offers the best of both worlds with direct flights from the mainland but still maintains a rural atmosphere. There is a law here that hotels cannot be more than 2 stories high. Yes there are a few that have snuck by through the years, but mostly low rise dwellings so as not to obscure the natural beauty of the land here.

You might try the Hyatt at Poipu for rooms or the Kauai Sheraton. Both hotels right on the beach, but low key.

If I were you, I'd look into the many Bed and Breakfast places that have sprung up recently. Try using Google to find B&B's on Kauai. It would be easy to find a really nice one for less than 200 a night.

Good luck... though no matter which island you select, I'm sure you will love it here and have a great time.

PM me if you would like some help for places on Kauai.

Aloha,
Kelly Kim
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent 4 months there lat year (Maui) and just returned from there last night after 15 days. I stay at the Alii condo complex in Kaanapali and if you have only 2 days I would only recommend the west shore. It has a lot to due a few fine restaurants and is easy to navigate. Kaanapali is on the west shore.

jv
Old 01-28-2004, 02:08 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Kelly - do you have a 911? My wife and I visit Kauai several times a year and the only 911 we have seen on a regular basis is an early 911/912 that we see driving between Lihue and the North Shore.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:25 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by ZCAT3
Kelly - do you have a 911? My wife and I visit Kauai several times a year and the only 911 we have seen on a regular basis is an early 911/912 that we see driving between Lihue and the North Shore.
Bill,

Ask and yee shall be answered.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=111157

CP
Old 01-28-2004, 02:41 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ZCAT3
as CP pointed out... not yet, but soon.

over in the princeville area? I live on the westside..
Old 01-28-2004, 03:42 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Wow, some great advice here. I have not yet been to Hawaii, but we plan on going this summer. We rarely stay at hotels when we go on vacation because we prefer rentals, where you can get a whole house for no more than a small room in a hotel, and with much more privacy.

Kelly, are you familar with the Poipu Beach area? I have 2 young kids and want a good beach where they can safely swin and play. Is the water warm? We found an incredible rental in the area which we will share with some close friends at less than $150 per person per day.

Poipu Beach House

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Fantastic guys - thanks!!

I've heard that may rain on Kauai - whats the likelihood in late March?
I'll take a look at some of the places suggested (looks like $200 a night is a little optimistic - but what the hell; you cant take it with you!!).

What are the opinions on the Kauai Marriott Resort or the Radisson?
They both look like non-high rise to me. I liked the location of the Ilihani (JW Marriot) on Ohau but the hotel itself looked a little faceless to me.

Anyone got any suggestions on travel agents or should I just book everything seperately? I'll be booking from the US and not the UK.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by PeterS

Kelly, are you familar with the Poipu Beach area? I have 2 young kids and want a good beach where they can safely swin and play. Is the water warm? We found an incredible rental in the area which we will share with some close friends at less than $150 per person per day.

Poipu Beach House

Thanks,
Peter,
Haven't heard of that rental place, but looks nice from their website. You might also try http://www.suite-paradise.com/ as they have a variety of properties and the NASA rep that come s to Kauai several times a year uses them to find a place to stay in Poipu.

For kids, Poipu Beach Park, in Poipu is great for families and kids. You might also want to try Salt Pond in Hanapepe area for a nice kiddy pool.

Please let me know what you decide and if I can be of any help from my end.

Aloha
Old 01-28-2004, 02:36 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Surj-993C2S
I've heard that may rain on Kauai - whats the likelihood in late March?

What are the opinions on the Kauai Marriott Resort or the Radisson?

Anyone got any suggestions on travel agents or should I just book everything seperately? I'll be booking from the US and not the UK.
Rain is a hit or miss thing in the islands. Recently some islands have been having storm conditions, while others are clear and sunny the same day. You can try using http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ and http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/index.html to see local news and weather in Hawaii. Today it's clear and sunny on Kauai.

Marriott and Radisson hotels are very fine hotels located in the Lihue and Wailua areas on the island.

However, if you are looking to get away and relax and want the best possible weather, I'd suggest staying towards the southside(poipu area). Weather can be nasty everywhere else, but it most times it is clear there.

If you check http://www.hawaiianair.com they have a $300 RT special right now from the west coast to Hawaii. Be aware, however, that only United has direct flights in to Kauai. Good luck with your plans and as always, if you need more help, please don't hesitate to ask.

aloha
:d
Old 01-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the Maui and Kauai recommendations -- they're extraordinary.

If you do go to Honolulu (Waikiki), stay at the Halekulani. It's rated as one of the best hotels on the planet. My wife and I stayed there during part of our honeymoon (after a cruise around the islands), and we experienced the BEST service of any place I've ever been. It's a truly exceptional hotel. BTW, we enjoyed Honolulu a lot. Yes, it's a city, but it's still in Hawaii. I certainly wouldn't go to Hawaii and go only to Honolulu, but we found it a great place to spend a few days. Also, I rented an '89 Ferrari 328 GTS -- lots of fun.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:27 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

If you try the Halekulani (the only five-star hotel on Waikiki Beach), BE SURE to try their Sunday brunch (reservation a must, weeks in advance). It is the best food, setting, ambiance etc. I have ever experienced. I went there first for business, and loved it so much I swore I'd go back with my family. We usually do not go the Honolulu as we don't like crowds, but we made a special stop just to sample the Halekulani Sunday brunch. It was well worth the side trip.

CP

Quick Reply: OT: Where to stay in Hawaii?