Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery quick disconnect experience - good? bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 AM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Battery quick disconnect experience - good? bad?

Hi all:

Has anyone used or is using something similar to this? I've used them for other - less complex electrically - cars but would like to hear of any issues with our battery-sensitive cars. This is possibly an answer for my sister's '96 Cab -she lives in a high-rise with the car in an underground lot. Storing it for the winter but she may need to move it from time to time and is not comfortable with connecting and disconnecting the cables each time. Nor can she use a battery tender like I do on mine as she doesn't want to leave the frunk unlatched. Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:52 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Other than losing all the ECU, radio settings and her alarm system, there's no problem with using one...except you should NEVER disconnect while the vehicle is running. I would rather see her use a good charger like CTEK and just run the lead out from the frunk hood. No damage will occur to the lead or the weatherstrip. An alternative would be to drop the lead out through the drain hole nearest the battery.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have my charger plugged in the cigarette lighter (I run it by the passenger window, you only need to open it for about 5mm).

~ The Eagle ~
Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Thanks to you both for the good input. I should have given more info - it's not just the concern about leaving the trunk open (sounds like that's not necessary as you point out) it's that the nearest outlet in the shared garage is pretty far away and running an extension cord across other's reserved spots isn't something she wants to do. Ditto for having the tender sitting on the ground in front of the car making it obvious that it's in storage mode. It's a condo owner's association thing I think. I'll take a look at using one of these cut-off units. Though I'm not sure if it will fit as it needs to redirect the cable clamp from horizontal to vertical. May just be simpler for me to continue to be her mobile mechanic when needed

Cheers,

Ron
Old 10-31-2018, 06:00 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

I have this exact switch in my 993 and veteran VW, works perfectly. The battery GND strap is a bit short for use with this switch, but it works fine.
Be sure to not tighten it too hard when closing the switch, the metal can break off at the casting edge to the battery clamp. However, if you not close the switch sufficiently, you will run into problems at high currents when trying to start the car

By the way, I never charge the battery while connected to the car, I have seen far too many overvoltage damages on various instruments and control units in these cars.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmdir
Thanks to you both for the good input. I should have given more info - it's not just the concern about leaving the trunk open (sounds like that's not necessary as you point out) it's that the nearest outlet in the shared garage is pretty far away and running an extension cord across other's reserved spots isn't something she wants to do. Ditto for having the tender sitting on the ground in front of the car making it obvious that it's in storage mode. It's a condo owner's association thing I think. I'll take a look at using one of these cut-off units. Though I'm not sure if it will fit as it needs to redirect the cable clamp from horizontal to vertical. May just be simpler for me to continue to be her mobile mechanic when needed

Cheers,

Ron
I'm in more or less the same situation! I leave my battery connected in the car during the winter and charge in for like 24h once every 5-6 weeks with a pretty long cable over the neighbours parking lot!
Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 PM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the exact switch, no problems.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

For the past four years I have used the quick disconnect all the time when the car is at home. The only time it is not used is when we are traveling. So easy to disconnect and keep the trickle charger on.

Im not concerned about loosing radio memory. No radio in this car. Who needs a radio noise when you have the classic engine music.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:21 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmdir

Cheers,

Ron
Hi Ron,
I get it. The car cannot be charged because of the condominium association. A trickle can't be used because of the condo associations regulations. I have the same issue in my condominium. I haven't used the device depicted in your photograph yet. I have been told when you start your car, you will have to input your radio code, at least on a '95. I too am interested in anyone who uses what you described in your photograph.
As a seperate but related issue, I have in other garages used a maintenance charger the entire winter without damaging the electrical system. The maintenence charger shuts -off when the battery voltage reaches a pre determined level
Old 11-01-2018, 01:58 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I leave my car wish disconnected battery for 6 months in the winter, It starts fine after battery is connected again. I also disconnect my autocross car's small motorcycle battery between races.

I would not use this particular disconnect type, though. Heard enough bad experiences. If it's a one-time disconnect for the winter, I simply undo the negative cable. For the autocross appliance that gets exercised 20+ times a year, I use a wing nut on the negative cable for easier disconnect.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

To avoid oil leaks and other problems you will want to start your car at least every two weeks or so. This will give you the opportunity to charge the battery.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:48 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
To avoid oil leaks and other problems you will want to start your car at least every two weeks or so. This will give you the opportunity to charge the battery.
This is probably best suited to a whole different thread about winter storage protocol but my understanding of generally accepted best practices for winter storage is that it's better (less wear and tear and other damage to moving parts) to NOT start a winter stored car periodically unless you are actually driving it. One of the risks of frequent starts is increased condensation in the engine oil and corrosion of engine components due to the moisture.

Personally, I've stored several cars (including a 964 and a 993) for periods of 6 months to 2 years and don't start them while they're in hibernation and have never had leaks or other problems.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Those battery isolators are not very good, mine snapped when I put something heavy in the frunk. You can run a fused wire to bypass the battery cut out as as anti theft device which will blow if the starter is used thereby preserving radio codes etc. I have the RS battery isolator fitted which is much more reliable. never kill the engine using an earth isolator you can fry the altenator. She's laid up for the winter and I'm dropping the engine so power is off and the battery on trickle charger. I'll just have to follow the ecu reprogramme routine in spring as a new LWF Steve **** chip is also going in.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:36 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the good input and photos. I'm going to get a couple of them and put one on my car as well.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 11-03-2018, 02:26 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Rennline has a safe and dependable 6 pole unit with a removable key. Rennline Battery Disconnect
It can be integrated directly into their Battery Mounts.

I’ve been running with Voiltphreaks Lithium batteries. No need for a battery disconnect. The Voltphreaks has an integrated on/off switch, and it operates remotely. You can leave the battery disconnected for weeks at a time with no issues. And it’s easy enough to top off with a Battery Tender Jr. if it ever needs a charge.

Quick Reply: Battery quick disconnect experience - good? bad?