Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

removing shell on the 993 Sport seat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 02:44 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post removing shell on the 993 Sport seat?

I want to remove the hard back shell on the sport seat in order to paint to match my cars exterior.

Do any of you guys no the right way to remove the hard shell on the 993 sport seat...I do not want to force anything without prior knowledge of proper disassembly.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Old 12-13-2002, 09:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I think I wrote something for the archives but here are my quick notes again...it might be different from the last time I wrote this!

Its pretty easy. First of all the bolsters are held to the back by a "wrapping" of the edge of the bolster leather over a lip on the hard shell back. Sewn to the edge of the bolster leather is a plastic strip that is a lot like one side of a very large zipper. You have to look at the edge of the shell where the leather wraps around the edge for these tiny clips. If you locate one take it out...I think there are four in total. Start by taking one out and then "unfold" the edge of the bolster strip out from the lip of the hardback...its pretty tight. Once you have it started its like a zipper...just go all away around the edge of the back to take the bolsters and headrest off.

The second step is getting at the bolts/screws on the back. You have to pull the center cushion out..its held on the top by velcro. Pull it out and you can see the pins at the bottom of the frame of the seat that holds the back on. Undo these.

You can now peel/pull back the foam under the bolsters near the top of the seats and find the two bolts (one on each side) that holds the seatback on. Take those out.

You have to pull the small handles at the end of the tilt mechanism off..they pull off with a little effort.

I might of missed something but that's the general idea. Its not hard but there are some clips, screws and bolts to take off.

Putting it on is the reverse...don't worry the leather gets all tighened down at the end.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-13-2002, 09:59 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks mike I knew there was some trick to it...! I just hope it reinstalls just as easy as it sounds

Thanks again

Quick Reply: removing shell on the 993 Sport seat?