Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper won't bleed - max pressure for Motive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Caliper won't bleed - max pressure for Motive?

Hey everyone.
Left front corner won't bleed (nothing flows when I open the bleeder at ~10psi on the Motive).
And I don't think that corner is actually braking (much cooler than the other corners after a trip according to IR gun, and car feels a little squirrelly on hard braking ).
What is the.max safe pressure I can go on a Motive bleeder to try to get some fluid moving?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:41 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The highest pressure I've used with mine is about 17psi. I think if I had a corner that wouldn't flow any fluid at all I'd go to the old fashioned step on the brake pedal method. Less chance of making a big mess in the frunk.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

On the 9x6 platform.you can go to 20 psi, but try stepping on the brake pedal after you have opened the bleeder, that will put way more than 20 psi through the line and if there is a small blockage the pedal will clear it much better than the pressure from the motive. Also make sure the hose on the motive didn't get linked, i wasn't get any flow one time and the hose had linked.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

I normally pump to about 15-17 ibs

Try removing the bleeder and poking something through the hole.
Pain in the butt if its frozen on, but you can take off the metal line off the caliper and see what comes out.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:44 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

If you're not getting any flow from both the inner and outer bleed nipples, you have some sort of blockage internally. Without any pressure from the MOTIVE, remove the inner bleed nipple and see if you have any fluid flow. If not, see if you can dislodge any build-up with a toothpick or similar tool. If that doesn't help, disconnect the brake line and confirm you have flow through the line to the caliper. Then you'll need to remove the caliper and flush whatever has clogged it.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
Hey everyone.
Left front corner won't bleed (nothing flows when I open the bleeder at ~10psi on the Motive).
And I don't think that corner is actually braking (much cooler than the other corners after a trip according to IR gun, and car feels a little squirrelly on hard braking ).
What is the.max safe pressure I can go on a Motive bleeder to try to get some fluid moving?
In the workshop manual, Porsche says to attach a "bleeding device" and use 1.5 bar pressure. I don't know what the Porsche "bleeding device" is, but 1.5 bar is 21.76 psi so I pump my Motive to 20 -21 psi to bleed the brakes on my vacuum boosted C2 brake system. My 993's rear calipers bleed slower than the front.

The procedure is different for 993s with the hydraulic booster brake system such as C4 and RS but the "bleeding device" pressure is still 1.5 bar.
HTH
Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I use 20 psi on the Motive bleeder, and I had one bleed screw that wouldn't flow. I took it out and the screw was totally clogged. The passage in the bleed screw is T-shaped, so you may be able to open it fully with a tiny wire or straight pin and shop air. I wound up just replacing the clogged one--I had some new spares handy.

If brakes aren't bled over a long time, a waxy substance builds up and causes this clogging. I hate to think what it might do to the ABS unit. Bleed those brakes!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I use 20 psi on the Motive bleeder, and I had one bleed screw that wouldn't flow. I took it out and the screw was totally clogged. The passage in the bleed screw is T-shaped, so you may be able to open it fully with a tiny wire or straight pin and shop air. I wound up just replacing the clogged one--I had some new spares handy.

If brakes aren't bled over a long time, a waxy substance builds up and causes this clogging. I hate to think what it might do to the ABS unit. Bleed those brakes!
... and don't forget the clutch slave or the ABS/ABD, if equipped!

BTW, it's not a matter of maximum pressure to the Motive Power bleeder, but rather the max pressure you want to put on the brake reservoir!
Old 10-19-2018, 12:38 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

You are using plenty of pressure, in my experience, it doesn't take much. I read once that one of the ways a brake hose fails is an internal wall rip will seal the hose. Also, a quick check can be to have someone press on the brake peddle while trying to bleed the offending caliper and see if it produces any flow. Ultimately one can disconnect the hard line to the hose that leads to the caliper and sees if flow can be observed. If you have not done this before be sure to use very high-quality hydraulic wrenches such as Snap-On or Craftsman, the inexpensive one's heads tend to flex and damage the fittings before they break the connection loose.
Other causes can be debris in the caliper from the casting or abrasives used to clean a remanufactured caliper. Also, the bleeder valve seat could conceivably be improperly positioned or distorted closing off the flow.

Quick Reply: Caliper won't bleed - max pressure for Motive?