Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a flashable 97 993 ECU worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 288 Posts

[QUOTE=nine9six;15370399]I'm curious as to the value of a flashable 97 993 ECU?/QUOTE]

My thought is that the real value is what someone posting interest in this thread is willing to pay. If your intent is to squeeze every last penny then you should list it on ebay for a high price (repeatedly) and spend time answering endless questions from the gallery.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Nurburger;15389138]
Originally Posted by nine9six
I'm curious as to the value of a flashable 97 993 ECU?/QUOTE]

My thought is that the real value is what someone posting interest in this thread is willing to pay. If your intent is to squeeze every last penny then you should list it on ebay for a high price (repeatedly) and spend time answering endless questions from the gallery.
I apologize if I had injured any else's tender sensibilities (Nurburger) with my post...It seems to me that a great deal of very good ancillary technical information has been brought forth regarding the 97, 993 ECU.; and personnally I find this extremely valuable and refreshing.

Rather than banging ones head, wouldn't it be much simpler/easier and kinder to the forehead to just move on to another post/thread?

Sincere appreciation to JasonAndreas, and goofballdeluxe, for your value-added contributions.

Last edited by nine9six; 10-26-2018 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cole_ve (06-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:36 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
BTW, I did some asking around, and for those of us in CA with 91 octane gas, expect an approximate 12hp/14tq bump with an ECU flashed by Steve W., etc.

I'm sure on 93 gas, you'd get slightly more, but that's the ballpark-ish number, from what I hear
When do we get a dyno post, i.e. before and after? How about some track lap times? Incredible about how simple it's to get more power,
you'd thought Porsche would have discovered that. Well, so much for Porsche engineering, right?

Read here; http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-the-myth.html

Last edited by Lorenfb; 10-27-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
When do we get a dyno post, i.e. before and after? How about some track lap times? Incredible about how simple it's to get more power,
you'd thought Porsche would have discovered that. Well, so much for Porsche engineering, right?

Read here; http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-the-myth.html
Hey, you're the expert; I'm just passing on some anecdotal information from someone who had his '97 ECU flashed by Steve W. and got those numbers.

So, what IS the actual increase in power from an ECU flash by a known professional, if any? And are you suggesting that any flashing the ECU compromises the safety of the engine?
Old 10-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey, you're the expert; I'm just passing on some anecdotal information from someone who had his '97 ECU flashed by Steve W. and got those numbers.

So, what IS the actual increase in power from an ECU flash by a known professional, if any? And are you suggesting that any flashing the ECU compromises the safety of the engine?
not absolutely sure of pure numbers, but that never tells the whole story. There are also other pieces to the puzzle, like cams, heads, exhaust etc....

my rebuild is is documented, and while i dont thonk the overall peak numbers have increased much, the fun factor has definitely improved. Acceleration is greatly improved, and the response is much quicker.

if i had to guess, i would say im somewhere in the neighborhood of 15hp improvement, maybe a little more. If i had just looked at the end numbers and what it cost to achieve that, it seems like a waste of money, but, i am totally happy with my car now. And at the end if the day, regardless of numbers, that is what matters to me.

YMMV.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:25 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Without any engine mods, "performance" tuning amounts to nothing more than increasing the timing. The 993 engine is at about 10.5+ CR where ignition timing is basically at its peak, requiring
knock control to minimize the occurrence of detonation for variation in loads, octane levels, and engine temperatures. When timing is increased, the margin before the knock control takes effect
is reduced, thereby potentially reducing overall torque/HP. So effectively little to no benefit over all driving modes results.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

I installed the 97 DME into my car and performed a diagnostics test on the unit with a Bosch KTS650 (PIWIS).
The following photos are shots of the test probe results...

PIWIS to identify all module found in the car

All modules found. 2 block is the DME

Selecting the DME to be tested for errors
This part number identifies the 1997 DME/ECU

No errors found on the DME when tested.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

If it works in your 96 why not leave it and sell the 96 ECU? Much easier OBD. I have an ulterior motive for seeing you do this
Old 10-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jay777
My labels look just like Nine9six's, complete with bar code and VIN below.
Unless I missed it, have you posted an image of the label on your DME? If you can read the label, that indicates that the security cover over the DME/immobilizer
is missing or you were able to easily remove it, So if the security bolts were previously removed/replaced with hex head bolts, and if your DME may have been
replaced and had the VIN noted on the label, that would provide insight. If so. then you should be able to remove the DME and open it, providing addition
Rennlist info with regard to socketed processor chips and the setting of monitors based on what the actual DME version your 993 has, right? The more info Rennlist
has, the more benefit to the forum and 993 owners.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Jay777
Pro

Clarification: my EXTERNAL labels look just like Nine9six's first pic. I just peeked under seat. Never had the unit out/open.

Last edited by Jay777; 10-30-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Clarification: my EXTERNAL labels look just like Nine9six's first pic. I just peaked under seat. Never had the unit out/open.
That implies that your 993 doesn't presently have its sheet metal security cover, indicating that either the DME ECM or immobilizer was accessed/removed
after your 993 was initially delivered, right?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Jay777
Pro

I have no idea. But I've personally looked under the seat of 4 other 993's (all 97's) - no cover on any of them. The PET catalog doesn't show a separate part for a cover. Maybe just certain years or VIN ranges had them? Maybe others can chime in.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

I have no idea. But I've personally looked under the seat of 4 other 993's (all 97's) - no cover on any of them. The PET catalog doesn't show a separate part for a cover. Maybe just certain years or VIN ranges had them? Maybe others can chime in.
All U.S. 993s with an immbolizer, i.e. based on Porsche dealer info and independents, had the security cover. It was a key element to prevent theft, i.e. an easy R/R of the immobilizer and drive away.
Most likely when either the DME ECM or the immobilizer was repaired/replaced and or when troubleshooting, the cover was not replaced. Most owners would never be aware!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

Photo of the 96 DME with security cover in place...the second sticker below the one in the photo cannot be seen with the security cover on.
As you can see, the fasteners attaching the security cover in are not the OEM security fasteners, that I had chiseled the heads off, years previously.

South of the ECM in the photo, is a bag of desiccant. I do not know if this is OEM from the factory, or something the PO may have done...

PS I use the acronyms DME & ECM, interchangeably.

Last edited by nine9six; 10-30-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Jay777
Pro

Originally Posted by nine9six
Photo of the 96 DME with security cover in place...the second sticker below the one in the photo cannot be seen with the security cover in place.
As you can see, the fasteners attaching the security cover in place are not the OEM security fasteners, that I had chiseled the heads off, years previously.
Thanks for the pic, Paul. Just checked - I do have one! While the label's not visible from the angle you show, it is visible if you look in "edgewise" from the front. So I take back my previous statement about there not being covers on any of the other 993's I looked at - they probably were there just like mine.

Quick Reply: What is a flashable 97 993 ECU worth?