OT: Any recs on tires for a 00 Isuzu Trooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OT: Any recs on tires for a 00 Isuzu Trooper

Need new tires on my winter beater. I'm looking at 265 70 16 tires. Any recs would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sachin,

Currently we run Dunlop Grandtreks of the same size on the Landcruiser (wife's) and for the mix of hot tarmac, sand dunes, gravel roads and the odd rocky trail they are doing fine.

It depends a lot on your application. If I needed tires for mostly on-road work I'd go for the Michelin Synchrones, comfy, quiet and durable. But I cannot comment on the winter issue as it is a comfy 28C (85F) out here just now .

Enjoy,

Nol
Old 01-23-2004, 04:14 PM
lexpilot
Racer

I have the Michelin Cross Terrain 275/70 16 on my Duramax. I have managed to pick up nails with these tires on 3 different occasions. No other variables. They do handle nicely but unfortunately I'm gonna get a tire that is more truck-like the next time. My spare is on a stock wheel 245/75 R 16 so I can't go very far without ruining the limited slip.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:17 PM
914und993
Pro

The Yokohama Geolander seems to be well regarded on Tire Rack's rating system - much better the the Bridgestones my 99 Trooper came with.

I put the Geolander HT on my trooper recently, but don't notice any great difference from the factory Bridgestones. These are all-season tires, not snow or off-road tires. Nice thing is they are pretty cheap at $81 apiece!

Chip
Old 01-23-2004, 04:25 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Just got some Dueler HT's for my Jeep - They are amazing in snow and wet and are not expensive - the Tire rack suggested them - and I was not disapointed
Old 01-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone.

PS: Lexpilot, I'm just curious, why would you ruin the limited slip? Is it because of the difference in tire size on 1 tire?

Originally posted by lexpilot
I have the Michelin Cross Terrain 275/70 16 on my Duramax. I have managed to pick up nails with these tires on 3 different occasions. No other variables. They do handle nicely but unfortunately I'm gonna get a tire that is more truck-like the next time. My spare is on a stock wheel 245/75 R 16 so I can't go very far without ruining the limited slip.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sachin,

I've had very good experiences with the Dunlop Radial Rover RV on my old Pathfinder; it's a toothy and serious off-road tire that, unfortunately, may not be available in your size. Decent wet and dry roadholding, as well as decent wet and dry braking. Consumer Reports rated them highly, an evaluation I found to be accurate.

I also tried the Dunlop Radial Rover A/T on the 4Runner and liked them, too, but found them to be only fairly good in the snow when combined with my open rear diff. Bear in mind that they worked just fine in snow up to 16". Over that amount and I almost got stuck in my steepish driveway with, oh, 27" of snow. I got out but just barely.

After reading a bunch of reviews on the Tire Rack, I decided to go with the Yokohama Geolander A/T's on my new (to me) Sequoia and the new 17" wheels. I just put them on three days ago, so I have zero experience with them. The east coast is slated to be hit with some snow this weekend; I'll let you know how they do.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Jmaston
8th Gear

I would highly recommend the new Bridgestone Dueler Revo's, Great AT tire, long life (50k warranty) and very quiet. Best AT tire I've ever owned. They're currently on my Grand Cherokee.

john
Old 01-24-2004, 03:52 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a doubt, BFG Radial All Terrian. The best tire I've ever used on a truck or Jeep or Blazer or whatever, excellent tire. You'll get 50K out of them, excellent handling (for a truck), terrific off-road, never a problem in the snow, most times didn't need 4wd. Noise is ok for me, some feel there too loud. I will never use a different tire. I worked on numerous large road construction sites, never, never a flat. Can't say that about any other tire I've used.

Look at what most guys who spend a lot of time on and off-road use....

Good luck,
Andy
Old 01-25-2004, 12:17 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Sachin,
I think the 275/70 is about 31.15" diameter and the 245/75 is about 30.648"diameter for about a 1.6% difference. I may be paranoid about the difference but I don't want to risk wearing out the GM limited slip. As I mentioned before I towed the trailer and the boat about 6000 miles in 2003 and I'm often out in the middle of nowhere. I like the handling of the Cross Terrain in the P275/70 size but I will compromise next time for a sturdier construction.

Quick Reply: OT: Any recs on tires for a 00 Isuzu Trooper