Sponsored by:

Stone guard question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM
dbibeau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone guard question

The stone guards on my '96 993 are chipped and I would like to replace them. The originals which are on the vehicle appear to be black (vehicle color). All that I have seen available on line are clear stone guards. Could it be that mine are clear and just look black? Is the replacement something that should be done by a body shop or is this a DIY? All suggestions are appreciated!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 AM
96P993
Pro

I have done not only the guards on my rear fenders but I have also done the hood and my front bumper will be done this weekend. I dont think its very hard but you have to make sure you know what you are getting into. When I do the install I actually buy rolls of it and cut my own shapes. Buy one and try it, if you dont think you can do it then go from there. As for colored guards, I can tell you that none of the people I have dealt with have them in colors. You might want to try a dealer to see if they have them colored...If you want more help let me know...
Old 01-23-2004, 11:27 AM
dbibeau
Advanced

96P993, Thanks for the quick response. Are the guards difficult to remove? What is the procedure for removal that should be used? Just peel?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:23 PM
96P993
Pro

Most of it will peel off but since that sticky stuff has been on your car for a long time you might have to put in a bit of elbow grease to get the gunk off
Old 01-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it both ways on my car, first with a hair dryer and then with just peeling. The "just peeling" method took about 10 minutes. The hair dryer method ( and the insuing gunky mess ) took about 1.5 hours.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

My 993 will be getting a "nose job" the week of Feb 2 - respray front bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors. Six years and 101K miles of road rash. At the same time, the body shop is replacing the rear clear stone guards. $100 each plus $30 each installation. Not worth the time to mess it up myself when I can have it done professionally.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:09 PM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there a definitive DIY on this somewhere?

Sure, getting them off is one part but a great looking re-install is another whole matter. That's the part that is holding me back, not the removal. Issues that concern me are alignment of the new pieces, laying them down with no bubbles/creases and the potential for seeing areas that are identifiable as faded paint.

Those who have done this successfully, please jump in here. Anyone who had it professionally done, how much did it cost and did you get a perfect job out of the deal?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm under the impression that 993s came from the factory with body-colored stone guards if your car was white, black or silver (maybe red as well). All other colored cars came with clear stone guards. At least that is my understanding.

I recently had a bodyshop replace mine with clear stone guards and I feel the car looks better. (paint fades over time which had made the colored stone guards look more noticeable).
Old 01-23-2004, 04:26 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by Terry Adams
My 993 will be getting a "nose job" the week of Feb 2 - respray front bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors. Six years and 101K miles of road rash. At the same time, the body shop is replacing the rear clear stone guards. $100 each plus $30 each installation. Not worth the time to mess it up myself when I can have it done professionally.
Terry,

Which shop are you using? My installer said that it's best to let the paint dry for 30 days before SG installation. That's letting the car sit for a LOOOOONG time.

CP
Old 01-23-2004, 04:36 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm also looking for a good custom installer in the Houston, Texas area. Need to protect my GT2 evo front and splitter once its all done =X.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Guys,

Jeff is right about the removal of the stone guards in front of the rear tires. Peel off only, do not use a hair dryer or heat gun. This only softens the plastic backing and makes cleanup a lot tougher. Remove residue with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

New fender guards can be purchased from invinca-shield.com. I installed them and they cover sightly more area than the factory ones and are easy to install. Invincashield has great instructions. Installing the film at this location is pretty simple, as the curves and corners are minimal.

I have done this fender area RH and LH, my car's nose and mirrors and found it to be a very straightforward DIY. The nice thing about being able to do this yourself with the Invincashield pieces is that when one of them is damaged by a stone, you can order the piece and install it yourself with out screwing around going back to an installer.

I've had two pieces (mirror and headlight surround) cut by rocks that would have damaged the paint. Took only a few minutes to swap out pieces.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by mike cap
...New fender guards can be purchased from invinca-shield.com. ...
Wow- $76 each side! That's a lot more than I would have thought.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Jim,

Don't hold back on doing the application yourself. I'm sure if you do some searching, you'll find a couple of posts on it. It's really not bad to apply the stoneguards without bubbles or creases. If you can't find anything, post again or PM me and I'll help you out.

Matt
Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

CP: Mathews-Carlsen Palo Alto.
The paint dry period is not an issue because the stone guards will go only on the rear.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pong, it's pretty easy to do yourself. I can show you sometime at viperbob's garage. In fact, I have to re do mine in the near future.

Quick Reply: Stone guard question