Sponsored by:

Painted Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Henry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Painted Calipers

Does anyone know of a high quality shop where I can get brake calipers painted in the Los Angeles area? Would like to get some painted at a place used to working with Porsche items, in the color of my choice, which would be resistant to heat and road grime, etc. Thank you.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:37 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are a DIY guy, check out Robin'w website at <a href="http://p-car.com/caliper/" target="_blank">http://p-car.com/caliper/</a>
Old 10-31-2002, 04:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts
<a href="http://prospeedmotorsport.com/index.htm" target="_blank">Prospeed</a> will powder paint them and <a href="http://www.powerhaus.com/" target="_blank">PowerHaus</a> will epoxy paint(chemical resistant) them for you. I am sure that there are others but I have seen or used work from both of the above, both will do a nice job.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:40 PM
mick
Racer

Henry, I agree with the previous thread about Robins DIY page. It goes into detail about powder coating the calipers. I did it last summer. It is a little bit of work to get them ready for the powder coating process, but IMO well worth the effort. I paid about $ 150 to have mine powder coated. They look like new. You can also get the PORSCHE decals and really finish the job by spray painting with a high temperature spray paint. Send me an emial at mmcglasson@bankofspringfield.com if you want more info. Mick
Old 11-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Henry
Advanced

Thanks for the information. What is the difference between epoxy coating or powder coating them? Are there any advantages or disadvantages?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:30 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I painted with a 2-part Folia-tec caliper lacquer system. Easy to do. You would just need to get the stencils for the lettering.

Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts
The chemical resistant epoxy and powder paint will be more dureable than the commonly available paints that many people successfully use. The factory finish is the chemical resistant epoxy as are the ones I am using. Prospeed likes the powder paint I don't have an opinion as to which is better excpt that they both will be more dureable than paint from a can. The only disadvatages are $ and time.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:02 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I don't have one myself, and consequently haven't tried it, the Eastwood Company sells a powdercoating system called "Hot Coat" in case you wanted a DIY.

One thing to note about the powder coating process is the applied powder must be "cured" with heat. For your calipers, an oven at about 400 degrees Farenheit would do (although it's recommended not to use the one in your kitchen where you prepare food).

As far as the difference between epoxy coating and powder coating, I'm not sure about epoxy coating, although I believe it's just a more durable paint, applied like other paints, but with a chemical hardening agent similar to polyurethane enamel.

In powder coating, on the other hand, ionized powder is [typically] electrostatically applied to the part, and then baked on, causing the powder to melt, flow across the surface of the part, where it will then harden.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers