Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of us in CA, ordering out of state has its benefits. For fun, I priced some GT2 seats from Sun Coast (on sale! Ha!), Sunset, and Carlsen. I think Carlsen knew the game as they went on-line to see what others were doing before quoting me. In some cases, shipping approximated the expected local sales tax. There is just no "real deal" but saving a few $$$ does help if your source is reliable. In the long run, since most have moved on to the 991GT series, the demand for GT2 seats may slowly dry up. Oh, BTW, Recaros are much cheaper, but no air bag........... And no, this was not for my 993.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:19 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 585 Posts

I've learned to only use Sunset via telephonic transactions.
more reliable that way.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I've learned to only use Sunset via telephonic transactions.
more reliable that way.
Craig,
It was not like they shipped the wrong parts...I ordered two sensors totaling $160., that never arrived, despite a USPS tracking record showing the parts as being delivered.

I did have the displeasure of speaking to a parts putz at Sunset, who told me my parts were stolen, since the USPS record shows them as being delivered. I asked the the gentleman if I could please speak to a manager; where I was quickly transferred to the parts managers answering machine. Three separate voicemail messages requesting a return call, yielded zero responses.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Craig,
It was not like they shipped the wrong parts...I ordered two sensors totaling $160., that never arrived, despite a USPS tracking record showing the parts as being delivered.

I did have the displeasure of speaking to a parts putz at Sunset, who told me my parts were stolen, since the USPS record shows them as being delivered. I asked the the gentleman if I could please speak to a manager; where I was quickly transferred to the parts managers answering machine. Three separate voicemail messages requesting a return call, yielded zero responses.
Paul, I know it doesn't excuse poor customer service, but why is it not possible that the package was stolen? Happens in the best of neighborhoods.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
I just tried them for a fuel hose. Hose in question is about 4 inches long and weights maybe 3-4oz. Shipping was $35 to TN! Yikes!

I got the same quote on that too. I had ordered a bunch of smaller items that weigh more than that and paid less than half in shipping. I’d call. Sonnen quoted $52 in shipping and Sunset $36. All over the place.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I also had problem getting satisfaction on the phone in my ordeal. I've been using Suncoast of late for most stuff. I will say that I think they aren't accurate in their shipping quotes. I ordered two rockers-long but fairly compact and light. Got a $100 shipping quote. I contacted them, and I think it was finalized at $52, more to my expectations.

Tip on the sales tax issue: Get the heck out of Calif!!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I can echo the experience of ordering a list of parts that will ship in "7-10 days" that take multiple weeks to ship. Luke is pretty good at emailed me to inform me of the delay, but of course when this happens they hold up the entire order. I was also charged a restocking fee once that I had to call to get refunded. Nowhere on the site does it mention one. Shipping prices can be a little out of hand. But... it's still usually the cheapest option. I've never had a part not show up.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 PM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a couple weeks ago with great service. Changed my order over the phone and had them expedite added parts from back east. Everything worked out as expected. They will get my business again.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I just use my local dealer. Circle Porsche.
They have online ordering with prices same as sunset or suncoast and i can will call, so no shipping but yes sales tax
Parts manager is a super nice and responsive guy too

porschepartsnow.com

Old 10-07-2018, 12:11 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

Ordered several times over the last few months, including twice in the past two weeks. All good, everything showed up on time. Noticed they must have put a new order system in place as every box/package was labeled with my name and order number, which is new.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

My order was places in the past few weeks. Confusion abound.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve had two good ordering experiences with Sunset in the last month. First order included some trans fluid, of which some leaked out of the containers during shipping, and they promptly sent me some additional fluid at no charge. Most recent order included parts that they did not have in stock but did receive an email from Luke informing me of the delay. The order shipped when they said it would and received it in a couple days via priority mail - oh, and I added a couple items to that order via phone after the fact to save on shipping and all was good.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts

Here are some alternatives I have had good luck with:

5150 Motorsports
info@5150motorsport.com
Located in AZ so no Cali Sales Tax. I have bought lots of things from them, good prices and great service.
They have an arrangement with Aasco for clutches and LWFs.

Gaudin Porsche
Las Vegas, NV
Old 10-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Cdn993Cab
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for 5150 Motorsports....they have been great and ship to Canada with reasonable rates and speed! If you don't see what you are looking for on the site they will get a price for you. Find their prices better than most of the other options.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 PM
rich c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used sunset for years. Great inventory and prices. Luke is always helpful and responsive.

I haven't ordered anything from sunset this year, so can't comment on recent transactions.

I have migrated most purchases to FCPEuro (their guaranty is for real!) and chandler porsche (AZ).

Quick Reply: Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust