Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust

Old 10-01-2018, 10:15 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust

I ordered a couple of sensors from Sunset Imports online site and despite the USPS online tracking number and delivery record showing the parts as being delivered on 9/13/18; they were never received.

Multiple emails and telephone calls, including voicemail messages to the Parts Manager, has resulted in zero return contact.

I remember the old days when Andrea ran the parts ordering show, where assistance and customer service were king and ordering parts worked like a well-oiled machine. Sadly, those days are long gone, and I have since given up trying to contact our once great source for even an indication of customer service or acknowledgement...

I just opened a PayPal dispute for parts not received and did the same on my credit card linked to PayPal. I'm not sure of others online order experiences but for me, the sun has indeed set and I will now purchase my OEM Porsche parts, elsewhere.

Sadly enough, buyers beware...
Old 10-01-2018, 11:03 PM
rcropp1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a similar issue last week with their customer service. I ordered a few items and one items was shipped incorrectly. I called and emailed and didn't hear anything back. So I just kept calling each day at different times. After about a week of calling I finally got someone at 7:30am PT. I explained my issue and they sent out a replacement part and a prepaid return label. So it seems they have taken care of me, but not without me calling and calling. They could definitely do a better job with customer service.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a similar issue a year or so ago on a large $ order. Snooped around their site and found their president's email. He got right back to me and it got resolved quick. Shouldn't have had to do that.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:45 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

When Andrea left Sunset, I quit ordering from them. Sonnen is my go-to place for OEM parts now. Their prices are very competitive. Hope you get your clams back, Paul.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I simply go on their website, check the price, and my local P-Dealer price matches them. Less hassle, and if I have issues I know right where to find them
Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

In the last several months I have placed several orders with Sunset without issue. I telephoned and emailed Luke several times and he always responded to me in a timely manner. Still a happy customer here.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:18 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Strange, I just had an order with Sunset about 2 weeks ago and everything went fine. I even had to call them to change part of my order and was able to get thru to Luke in the parts dept. without any problem.
My order was delivered by USPS priority mail which is a couple of days quicker than UPS ground to me so I was happy with that. I believe that they will ship either UPS or USPS upon request.

With respect, it seems to me that the USPS is at fault for at least part of your problem and maybe you can contact them about the missed delivery? Of course, if I were in your place and my emails and voice messages were not responded to, I would be upset also.

Back when I first got my 993 I placed so many orders with Andrea that when I called her it was like talking with a good friend. I do miss that, but, if I remember correctly, she was moving on to better things, so I was happy for her.

With all of that said, I do hope your problem is resolved to your satisfaction very soon.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Have heard their long term well regarded parts manager has vacated.
Most in this area with older air cooled don't use Sunset, now known as Porsche of Beaverton- except for parts which can't be secured otherwise.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought a part from Sunset a couple months ago. No issue, fast shipping. Then found out I didn't need it. Sent it back for a full refund. No issues whatsoever.

I would definitely use them again. All communication was by email and they responded quickly.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

The east-coasters may want to check with Delaware Porsche Parts. When shipping was factored in they were less expensive than Sunset or Sonnen. A few orders in so far and it has been good.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:00 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
The east-coasters may want to check with Delaware Porsche Parts. When shipping was factored in they were less expensive than Sunset or Sonnen. A few orders in so far and it has been good.
I just tried them for a fuel hose. Hose in question is about 4 inches long and weights maybe 3-4oz. Shipping was $35 to TN! Yikes!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:36 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I just bought a complete set of vents for the 993. 2 of them had to come from Germany. One had to come from Atlanta and rest was in stock. I got an email saying that and asked if I want parts expedited from Germany for $110 and part from Atlanta will arrive in a week.

A few weeks go by and a box show up with packing list marked all shipped. Asked for clarification and was responded with missing parts from Germany and $110 for expedited service.. nothing about poor paperwork.

Will try a different place in the future. Too bad because their online part ordering is familiar and convenient.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I just bought a complete set of vents for the 993. 2 of them had to come from Germany. One had to come from Atlanta and rest was in stock. I got an email saying that and asked if I want parts expedited from Germany for $110 and part from Atlanta will arrive in a week.

A few weeks go by and a box show up with packing list marked all shipped. Asked for clarification and was responded with missing parts from Germany and $110 for expedited service.. nothing about poor paperwork.

Will try a different place in the future. Too bad because their online part ordering is familiar and convenient.
I've had the same issue with Sunset. Ordered from them multiple times. Although the website says "ships in 7-10 days" every one of my orders has taken ~ 4-5 weeks to get to me. Given, all of my vehicles are at least 20 yrs old so I'd expect them to take a little longer. They give you the option of shipping the US stock first and sending the ex Germany stock later but always underestimate how long it will take. There is also generally very little updates on the status of the order with their tracking system saying "ships on 8/3" when the date is actually 3 weeks past that date and the item still has not shipped. My last order was missing an item but since it was a low dollar part, I did not bother to follow up with them. They have no contact phone number on their website to call if there is a problem which seems like they are trying to avoid customer service. All communication is now via email which is not often replied to. It's a pity since they were my go to supplier with awesome service at one stage.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 AM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Porsche Fresno is another option. No online catalog or ordering, however, Tim is very quick with the email replies and whenever I have phoned I've always been able to speak with him or another person in parts. I send him a spreadsheet of part numbers etc. He confirms price etc then I call with credit card details.

Prices comparable to most others and I'm willing to pay a bit more for the good service. Plenty of updates about times and when Fedex decided to send a package back after only getting part of the way to Florida, he was on to it straight away. Never a problem with incorrect or missing parts. That's based on half a dozen orders over a 6-8 month period. Too scared to add up the value and at a guess maybe $8k.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:52 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I have had a mixed experience with sunset.

One one hand they have made multiple mistakes by missing items in my orders. They have been good about shipping the missing items right away though no questions asked.

Their email support sucks. You need to call them up and when you do get someone on the phone they are really helpful.

Despite the above, I live in California so saving close 9%+ on sales tax on top of cheap everyday low prices and fast shipping from Oregon is worth the headaches of not having to deal with my local traffic to go pick up stuff. I have been told sunset is charging cost+ a small markup and they make it up with volume sales so smaller parts desks can't compete.

As a bonus their return policy is very good. I have found things I have ordered from them that I never used and forgot about and have been able to return them for credit on new orders which is a nice gesture to keep me as a customer.

Something to note is make sure you call them to make changes to your order. Even though it says they will combine online orders, their billing system doesn't recognize that and you get hit with double shipping if you place back to back online orders that have not shipped. Something I noticed on my last two orders this past month.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust