993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS belt sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 993 RS belt sensor

I've recently installed the RS alternator pulley hub, and I understand most remove the belt sensor as it's no longer required (charging system warning will come on if belt fails).

If you simply remove the sensor, the belt warning light comes on. How did Porsche deal with this on the RS? Did it still have the belt sensor or did it have a shorting plug installed in the connector?

I can easily remove the plug and solder the leads together from my removed belt sensor, but I'm OCD and want whatever the RS had from the factory.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

The RS had a different wiring loom so that incorporated the link somehow
Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Top-Gun
Racer

Makes sense, thanks for the info.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Test the switch. It is probably normally closed if the belt is present. If so, just put in a jumper that short circuits the two connectors. Then tape it up and ziptie it in a safe location.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:26 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by knorrena
Test the switch. It is probably normally closed if the belt is present. If so, just put in a jumper that short-circuits the two connectors. Then tape it up and zip-tie it in a safe location.
+1 And while you're at it tie off the brake pad sensors as well.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get it... I also installed the RS Pulley and the one Belt sensor is still touching the one belt that is installed. I'm using the larger of the two original FAN/ALT belts.

The only way I can see not needing the sensor it, is if you are using the smaller/middle belt pulley, but then you would be running it a weird angle, as my RS Pulley is pretty flush with the fan.

What am I missing?

BTW... I was doing an AX last weekend, and the weather was very hot. I turned on AC while staging, and after my runs, parked car... Battery dead. I got it started and drove home (45 min), and everything is fine. I did change the Alt, battery, and belts when RS Hub was installed.

I have read about the low charging issue... so don't use your AC unless you are actively driving....
Old 09-25-2018, 08:28 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
Don't get it... I also installed the RS Pulley and the one Belt sensor is still touching the one belt that is installed. I'm using the larger of the two original FAN/ALT belts.

The only way I can see not needing the sensor it, is if you are using the smaller/middle belt pulley, but then you would be running it a weird angle, as my RS Pulley is pretty flush with the fan.

What am I missing?

BTW... I was doing an AX last weekend, and the weather was very hot. I turned on AC while staging, and after my runs, parked car... Battery dead. I got it started and drove home (45 min), and everything is fine. I did change the Alt, battery, and belts when RS Hub was installed.

I have read about the low charging issue... so don't use your AC unless you are actively driving....
Levtron- When using the RS pulley there is no inner or outer pulley positions. It’s simply one pulley pretty flush against the fan. Your statement regarding using the smaller pulley and running the belt at an angle is not possible. The one belt drives both the fan and alternator at the same speed. You do not need the wheel sensor with this set up. If the belt breaks, your alternator light will illuminate.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:49 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

The belt sensor works fine with the RS pulley setup, it aligns correctly with the belt. It just becomes redundant as the charge warning light will come on if the belt breaks so you dont need the second belt warning anymore. I was running the sensor on my RS setup all season as when I did the conversion, there was nothing wrong with the sensor so I figured why mess with it. Fast forward to now, and I noted the roller wheel starting to loose pieces of plastic, so time to replace. Since its redundant, no sense in buying a new one and installing.

The cleanest way to delete it appears to be to dissect the sensor and cut out the wire harness pigtail/connector. Solder the leads together and cover with heatshrink, then install and zip tie the whole thing to the main harness. If you ever want to return to stock simply unplug and connect back to a new sensor.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:58 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

if you have a generic fuse replacement set there are likely some micro fuses included.
micro fuses are an exact fit to the plug. jam one in there, cover with electrical tape and zip tie out of the way.
porsche engineers planned this micro fuse conversion and the instructions can be found in the shop manual, volume VII, p. 97-156
Old 09-28-2018, 08:19 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

.... use the plug from a Bosch fuel injector to make a tidy jumper: fits in the harness with a 'click' - no tape req'd https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/725850-planning-to-install-rs-hub.html#post9982393

Quick Reply: 993 RS belt sensor