993 Forum 1995-1998

Question about timing cams in the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Chris L
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Question about timing cams in the car

Last year I replaced my timing chain cover gaskets and got rid of 90+% of my leaks. But I still have a little drip forming at the base of the chain case to engine case seal.

In reading through all the steps, it looks like I just need to remove the cam gears to get the chain cases out to replace those seals (and need a special tool to hold the gears while I loosen the nut).

Looks like I can mark the pins and keep the current timing, right? Or, if needed, I can retime the cams in the car, but only as a last resort.

I’m considering this as a winter project, and want to get feedback from whoever may have gone through this.

I’d prefer not to pull the engine and go through redoing the rear alignment.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Last edited by Chris L; 09-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:50 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Chris,

This would be really hard to do with the motor in the car. The tools go in the recessed "D" in the back side of the cams, plus there is a tool that holds the crank at TDC. It fits over the front of the crank, so you would have to remove the front balancer. You also need a tool to hold the cam gear when you torque the cam bolt. Without the tools would have to mark the cam gear location and make sure the cam does not turn. You'd also have to deal with the chain tensioners and how they may rotate things.

Hopefully, someone else has done this and knows some tricks you can try. I set the timing with the factory tools when I rebuilt my motor. Fairly easy on an engine stand.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L
Last year I replaced my timing chain cover gaskets and got rid of 90+% of my leaks. But I still have a little drip forming at the base of the chain case to engine case seal

So what is the running consequence of the "little drip"?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:00 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
So what is the running consequence of the "little drip"?
+1

Removing chain boxes with the engine in the car or out is a pretty big, complicated job. I can't imagine going through the hassle over a weeping seal or occasional drip. This is a while-you're-in-there job when you have to do the clutch or valve guides.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

I couldnt imagine doing that w/o removing the engine, even with a lift. Dont know about the re-alignment as mine is a 964.
You will need that tool that holds the gears while allowing access to the nut that holds them. Torque is fairly high so you will need a hefty torque wrench too. Access with those big wrenches in that small obstructed space will not be easy. Maybe someone who has done it will chime in.
If you have other leaks and are interested in a re-seal and other "while its out" stuff, I would drop the motor/tranny (you know you want to). Then everything is easily accessible.
Lots of very detailed threads on whats required.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Paper towels sound much better for now.

Quick Reply: Question about timing cams in the car