Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long is enough?

I thought that might get you.

However, I want to know the answer to the following question - How long is it necessary to drive a tt to get it up to temp, etc, etc, and not cause any problems? Say it is a daily driver. Assume it'll get wrung out at least once a week for a long time (hour or more), as well, but what is an acceptable commute?

I see all these posts, get it up to operating temp, etc, etc. Is it acceptable to run it just until the oil temp is in the operating range on the guage, or should you get it there and then drive for another XX minutes?

I'll post on tt forum, as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll say boiling point is a key factor, so I aim for entire engine, oil and the exhausts to be minium of 212 F or 100 celsius for at least 5 minutes, so all condensation (in oil and muffler) can be evaporated.

So how can we achieve this ? Watch for ending of white steam or measure (or touch) at the muffler.

I like to hear what others has to say too.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:06 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 29 Posts

Stedge,

Once oil temp is in normal range let 'er rip. The oil is the last thing to come up to proper temp so everything else is nice and warm (we're just talking about the motor, now) by that point.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Stedge,

Once oil temp is in normal range let 'er rip. The oil is the last thing to come up to proper temp so everything else is nice and warm (we're just talking about the motor, now) by that point.
David, I think Stedge is looking for minimum time (like coffee shop around the block vs the scenic drive to the one across town) before turning off the engine not for "let'er rip"
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input so far. My question isn't really when I can open the car up, but rather, when I can shut it down without causing a problem... Does this take longer in a tt vs. a NA car? How much longer?

I think Gerry is on the right track, but I am interested to hear what other folks say.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, Gerry, you beat me to it!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I wait until I see the oil thermostat open and then wait a few miles for the cold oil to circulate and warm up before letting it rip...

You can watch the oil temp rise just past the first mark, then it will quickly fall and then rise again a little. That tells you the thermostat opened...
Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Stedge,

Operating temps and time to get there depend on driving style and the load the engine is under. A thirty minute hard drive may end up equating to an hour put (hypothetical).

To really answer your question though, you probably want the car at operating temps for 20 minutes or so. That gives the hot oil (200F +) enough time to burn off an moisture and contaminents, while the exhuast should be hot enough to burn out all the moisture.

Matt
Old 01-21-2004, 08:18 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Stedge,

I spend most of my time in Raleigh. Do you belong to Hurricane or Carolina PCA?

Personally, I have been told by several mechanics that once the oil temp guage begins to move and is off the bottom peg, you can shut the car down or open it up. The oil is then moving well in the engine, all contaminates have been evaporated and there should be no condensation in the engine. I have practiced this on all my cars with no probelms.

If you get to the point where the oil begine to circulate in the fender cooler which youcan tell by the guage going past the 8 oclock notch, then you should drive the car for a couple of minutes to ensure the cooler oil has circulated.

Some may disagree, but I havn't had any problems over 36 years.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:02 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carolina PCA, Steve. Recent (1 yr) member. No events with PCA yet!! Only done some with the Superformance group at VIR and Lowe's. Need to do some DEs with the Pcar.

Maybe I can meet you and check out your C4S (....) sometime!

Quick Reply: How long is enough?