Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What aftermarket HID kits are still available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What aftermarket HID kits are still available?

My neighbour just got a 993 and agrees that the standard lights are rubbish. I read that some kits were discontinued. Anybody know the latest re price / quality / availability?

Appreciated.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I think they were discontinued only in the US due to legislation. There was a post a few months ago about an outfit in UK selling them (use search).

When I was in Malaysia a few weeks ago, I saw some aftermarket kits selling for as low as USD $220 in the Asean issue of Autoweek (I think the company selling it was based in Singapore) although I can't remember the merchant nor can I verify the quality.

Last edited by Rezal; 01-20-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:44 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What aftermarket HID kits are still available?

Originally posted by Mike in Switzerland
Anybody know the latest re price / quality / availability?
Autolamps' HID Division (UK)
Old 01-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First choice is to the the OEM litronics, imho. You can find those around for about $1200-$1500. There are lots of salvage places you can check, ie LA porsche Dismantlers, Parts Heaven, etc. They also come up on ebay from time to time.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

To summarise:

OEM is better quality conversion, and includes auto-levelling as required by EU legislation

Autolamps kit is 1/3 the price and works well, although not strictly in accordance with european standards.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I've been very pleased with the Catz HID's that about fifty of us bought. Maybe they're still available in Europe.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: What aftermarket HID kits are still available?

Dan,

I contacted these guys awhile back. They will not ship to a US address. It has to be picked up in the UK and then exported by someone. Something about liability if they ship them.

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Autolamps' HID Division (UK)
Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 AM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, which one of you UK guys want's to volunteer to do this?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:54 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: What aftermarket HID kits are still available?

Originally posted by Sachin Misra
Dan,

I contacted these guys awhile back. They will not ship to a US address.
Sachin
I know that, but the original poster, "Mike in Switzerland" is, oddly enough, ... located in Switzerland
Old 01-21-2004, 07:27 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I'll do it even though I'm not in the UK. They ship to anywhere in the EU. (I know because I bought my HIDs from them!)

It sounds like more than one of you wants to be in on this. Maybe I could send one package over with 2, 3, 4... kits. And you can distribute them locally in the US. I think that would be cheaper than multiple international packages due to the sliding scale (generally) used by the freight companies.

Anyone in Switzerland (which is outside the EU) would presumably have to pay Swiss import duty and taxes as well. Not such a good idea...
Old 01-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Dear all

thank you for your help on this. I called Autolamps for my neighbour and they are offering the 4100K H1 kit for £277.41 (+vat) & £9.00 shipping. If you are looking at their website they moved service provider only recently and some pages won't work.

They DO ship to the USA, the lady stated they charge $15 "FOB" (I am not sure what shipping terms mean!)

Another point is that when I asked about high-beam I mentioned things I read here detailing the delay on HID's for "flashing".

She mentioned that the strike time of the lights is 1/11'000th of a second, and they reach full luminance 1.2 seconds from switching the flash on. Basically the lights are fine for flashing since they are already brighter than a normal light from 01. seconds onwards.

On that basis my neighbour wants to buy two, although I've explained to him that there may be a room problem with Ballasts etc.

Has anybody done this? Does it put extra load on the harness? Would different fuses etc be needed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mike
Old 01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Iirc, the HID use LESS power than the standard halogens so in terms of load on the harness, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't agree that the HIDs are suitable for flashing. A flash lasts about 0.25 - 1 second. The HIDs seems to take 2 or 3 seconds before they produce usable light.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:01 PM
WelshChris
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Autolamps kit is a piece of cake to install - I've just done it.

They supply a complete loom with switching relay etc which isn't required. Basically you snip the power and ground wires from the relay to the ballast as near as possible to the relay as you can (this gives the maximum amount of cable to play with).

The brown wire (live) mates with the yellow power feed on the Porsche loom the was attached to your old bulb, and the black wire (ground) attaches to the brown earth feed on the Porsche loom that was attached to the bulb surround. You can do this with correctly sized spade/bullet connectors (MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT THEM THE RIGHT WAY ROUND!). Use heatshrink tubing to protect the connections.

You have to cut a hole around one inch in diameter in the plastic cover of the headling assembly because there is no room to house the ballast inside.

Tip: Get a a couple of old car wash sponges, cut a slit in the end of each with a craft knife and make each one into a 'pouch' to house the ballasts - this protects the ballast from damage, and also stops them rattling around inside the wing (you have to put them in prior to re-seating the finished headlight unit).

One final job - Remove the 25 amp fuses from the autolamps harness, and use them to replace your existing 15 amp fuses in your fusebox.

Job done - The conversion turns night into day!

Chris
Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Thanks Graeme. In the last 10 minutes he has ordered 2 kits so we will see!

Best regards

Mike
Old 01-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Chris, thank you for that. At the risk of going too deep into this before his kit arrives, why the fuse upgrade? I understood from Graham (above) that there is no extra power draw.

Having now done this do you think adding HID high-beam is possible?

Regards, Mike

Quick Reply: What aftermarket HID kits are still available?