993 Forum 1995-1998

Another weight reduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Another weight reduction thread

in a quest for more power, i’ve come to the realization, as many of us have, that shorter gears and weight reduction would be the best route to take with these cars. I’d like to keep my car streetable and civil, i.e. maintain sound dentening, AC, heat, radio, sunroof and back seats. Want to keep the car safe too!! With that said, can I remove enough weight to make a difference?

thinking the following:

-RS door panels
- RS light-weight flywheel
- Rennline lower dash (are there safety issues remove the stock knee pad?)
-light weight exhaust - fister or GT3 setup
-ducktail or another glass deck lid
-light weight battery

what else?? Is it worth it?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Rear wiper? And if You have AC get rid of the sun roof! It's really heavy and located at the worst place!

And what about Your own waist? Can You lose a few pounds there?

Saw a guy at a race last week who combined a beer belly with drilled pedals!

Last edited by Railmaster.; 08-23-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Suggest we start a new thread in this regard, as I wrote shortly ago.
Share your BMI, haha- Basal Metabolic Index, fairly accurate indicator of ideal body weight/adipose proportions.
Guarantee many will be surprised, as you do yourselves and the car the biggest favors.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Weight reduction is definitely worth it, IMO.

I took over 200lbs out of the car pictured to the left and there were measurable gains in performance.

I'm 5' 9" 159lbs. Used to be 132lbs but looked like a skeleton so probably staying close to where I'm at.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

Yes - gearing combined with some weight loss transforms this car!

RS clutch and flywheel is a great combination with gearing. I have the /21 gearbox which was standard RoW (or maybe just EMEA) but such a noticeable difference vs standard US gears.

I have no radio. Don't miss it even a little. Rear speakers out too (that weight is in the wrong spot).

I put the rear seats and seat belts back in. The kiddo sits back there. If the rear seats didn't get used I'd definitely remove the seats and seat belts.

Fister exhaust is definitely worth it on weight reduction (and sound).

I was surprised (shocked actually) how heavy the stock deck lid is. Fiberglass tail makes a big difference.

I haven't done the battery because it's in wrong place, and because I don't know how well it would work with the lightweight flywheel.

Good luck.

/
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Easy option: lightest wheel/tire combo you can find. It's multiplied by 4, so a quick way to save a lot of weight.

Other plug and play options ideas (don't think these are very common, but worth exploring):
- side mirrors: Are there any plug and play options that are lighter than factory? This is common in the racing world.
- manual window backdate? Window motors are heavy. I'd have to think there's a path to add a manual regulator

Hard stuff: Remove unused wiring.
- If you don't need power windows, power seats, heated seats, radio, speakers, amps, antennas, (maybe immobilizer), sunroof then you don't need a of wiring / fuses / relays. You can thin your harness. I just did this and it's a ton of work. It saved me 30 lbs on my race car so was well worth it. Obviously cost/benefit would need to be explored as this is far from plug and play and again, is a lot of work.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:25 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

I just lost 55lbs by switching out the standard 8 way seats to Recaro Pole Positions.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:19 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

mpruden, manual window linkages are not lighter than the motor in these cars. Lexan windows on the other hand would save a good chunk.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s slippery slope for sure...I’m at 2683lbs with 1/2 tank and no driver and that’s still with the 53lb sunroof gear up top (that’s next). I have line of sight to 2595lbs 1/2 tank no driver (I already have the full regear) and let me tell you...the secret to speed is low weight (so said Walter Rohrl)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

What part of the sunroof is 53 pounds? That sounds 10X high.

There is no cheap/easy way to lighten a 993. Almost everything is a battle over a couple of pounds here and there. I once had my car down to 2850 pounds, and it was noticeable. But not noticeable enough. If you did race buckets, lighter battery, FG hood, RS flywheel, short gears, and flash the ECU, you'll have a really fun car. Probably 125 pounds lighter with better gearing and a tiny bit more power. But a 993 will never be fast in the way a 991 is fast, but a 991 will never have the character and personality of a 993.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
What part of the sunroof is 53 pounds? That sounds 10X high.

There is no cheap/easy way to lighten a 993. Almost everything is a battle over a couple of pounds here and there. I once had my car down to 2850 pounds, and it was noticeable. But not noticeable enough. If you did race buckets, lighter battery, FG hood, RS flywheel, short gears, and flash the ECU, you'll have a really fun car. Probably 125 pounds lighter with better gearing and a tiny bit more power. But a 993 will never be fast in the way a 991 is fast, but a 991 will never have the character and personality of a 993.
The roof mit sun hole and internal structure weights 33#, the equivalent plain roof weighs 8#, then subtract the movable roof O & I panels 15#, then subtract trim, moor, sliders etc. 14#
net difference for mine was 54#
Old 08-25-2018, 04:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Easy option: lightest wheel/tire combo you can find.
+993!!!
The unsprung rotating mass in the form of wheels and tires, pays performance as well as weight dividends far beyond the understanding of most (not all), RL 993 owners...

I get a good chuckle out of those that have no understanding and poo-poo these simple, yet well established laws of physics.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:38 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I just lost 55lbs by switching out the standard 8 way seats to Recaro Pole Positions.
If the 55# savings is the total of both seats, I would have thought it would be substantially more than that. The OEM electric seats are very heavy.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The roof mit sun hole and internal structure weights 33#, the equivalent plain roof weighs 8#, then subtract the movable roof O & I panels 15#, then subtract trim, moor, sliders etc. 14#
net difference for mine was 54#
Is it possible/practical to bolt the sunroof in place and remove a lot of the associated gear?

Originally Posted by nine9six
+993!!!
The unsprung rotating mass in the form of wheels and tires, pays performance as well as weight dividends far beyond the understanding of most (not all), RL 993 owners...

I get a good chuckle out of those that have no understanding and poo-poo these simple, yet well established laws of physics.
For anyone who has been a bicycle racer, the benefits of lighter rims and tires is immediately noticeable. 50 grams becomes a big deal. Putting on the good set of race wheels and silks on race day is like riding a different bike.

Quick Reply: Another weight reduction thread