XC90 Volvo...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 648 Posts
Default XC90 Volvo...

Letting the honda go. Looking at the SUV market. Really like the lood of the Volvo, lots of nice features and drives like a car. Is pretty peppy even with the 2.5t , but if I buy it will be the 6

Other choices are a BMW 5.0I or a Used Chilli pepper S. The S is a longshot. No where close to get it serviced. Anyone have any insight on the Volvo?

Thanks

Last edited by Rolo; 01-18-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:05 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anyone with one but it seems to me Autoweek had a good article on them about 8 weeks ago or so. Pretty good review but not killer as I recall.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:54 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No personal experience with new Volvo's, but know associates that have the Volvo SUV and S80, and it seems Volvo quality (not safety) has decreased quite a bit since taken over by Ford. Not sure BMW quality is much better. Personally, I would consider the Lexus/Toyota SUV's.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:57 AM
carrageous
Intermediate

Haven't tried the XC90, but I have a V70R wagon which I love. I'm done with SUV's. The wagon has 300hp, a great suspension and is a lot more fun to drive on the road than any SUV (short of a Cayenne, maybe).

Plus it's fun to drive fast in something that appears to be so invisible.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:09 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Don't have any xc90 experience but do drive an AWD s60 and ithas been trouble free for 20k miles. The car is very soft and underpowered (compared to its aggresive styling). I think Dain's choice of the V70r is a great compromise... 300 horsepower in a very good looking, somewhat stealth car sounds like alot of fun. Not to mention better fule economy I am sure.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Uncle is a salesmen for Volvo and he says nothing but wonderful things about it. He is also a Porshe owner and he can appreciate a well built car and demands a car that car perform and he love the XC90. I can PM you his work number if you would just like to talk to a fellow Porsche guy about it. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 01-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jay Gratton
My Uncle is a salesmen for Volvo and he says nothing but wonderful things about it.
Good salesman then!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice car. Underpowered. Ford owns Volvo. Great features for parents (centre of second-row seating slides forward with built-in child-seat) and alleged Volvo safety ("boron cabin steel"?) but did I mention underpowered.

It all depends on the intended usage. Replacing a Honda Odyssey, it's a helluva lot smaller. As an SUV it can't go much off-road and it can't tow much.

My wife really likes the interior design and quality of the materials. I drove the underpowered version and then the really underpowered version and couldn't live with it. Of course, being turbocharged, it would be easy (see recent Volvo threads on Rennlist) to perk up the horses to something liveable, but still slow. Basically a big station wagon from Volvo with a lot of thought in the design and useful features with styling that belies the Ford ownership.

By the way, it's almost impossible to get one near San Francisco. The dealers are still sold out despite it being available for months now. So the selling price is still close to MSRP. If it was discounted to invoice, I'd be more interested.

Cheers,
Old 01-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jay Gratton
My Uncle is a salesmen for Volvo and he says nothing but wonderful things about it. He is also a Porshe owner and he can appreciate a well built car and demands a car that car perform and he love the XC90. I can PM you his work number if you would just like to talk to a fellow Porsche guy about it. Best wishes - Jay Gratton

Yea, I'd love to speak with him. Thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try an Explorer -- if you test drive it, you'll buy it.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jeff
Try an Explorer -- if you test drive it, you'll buy it.

O KAY?

Very funny.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera GT
Very nice car. Underpowered. Ford owns Volvo. Great features for parents (centre of second-row seating slides forward with built-in child-seat) and alleged Volvo safety ("boron cabin steel"?) but did I mention underpowered.

It all depends on the intended usage. Replacing a Honda Odyssey, it's a helluva lot smaller. As an SUV it can't go much off-road and it can't tow much.

My wife really likes the interior design and quality of the materials. I drove the underpowered version and then the really underpowered version and couldn't live with it. Of course, being turbocharged, it would be easy (see recent Volvo threads on Rennlist) to perk up the horses to something liveable, but still slow. Basically a big station wagon from Volvo with a lot of thought in the design and useful features with styling that belies the Ford ownership.

By the way, it's almost impossible to get one near San Francisco. The dealers are still sold out despite it being available for months now. So the selling price is still close to MSRP. If it was discounted to invoice, I'd be more interested.

Cheers,
I don't think its that underpowered... Also with just simple mods you will hit huge HP numbers just like all volvo's that came before
Old 01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

What mods? I agree it seems a little under powered. Then I start thinking. Its the wife's car. It will take kids to school and the doctor and take the two of us out on the town(when the weather is nasty, and the P car stays wrapped in in the garage)

Not going to do any track days. Help me. I am leaning toward buying one!

Another 40k and I could have a Chilly pepper TT!! Fastest soccer mom in town (I hate soccer, commie sport)
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Rolo make sure you put the Cayenne V6 on your list
to test drive. I am not saying it will cahnge your mind
but its worth checking out. By the way I live 120 miles
from a dealer are you farther than that??
and more importantly, are you a member of
Augusta Natl and can I come play on guest
day??
Old 01-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

I have tested the XC90, and ordered the T6 (been waiting 2 months, only arriving end March!!!). Can be upgraded power wise (Heico does Volvo mods), but still will do no damage on the Cayenne. Handling is well, SUV like. This is no X5. BUT, its seat layout, the extra row of seats at the back and the general practicality sold me on it over the VW Toureag or the X5. This is a great alternative to an MPV, and should be viewed as such.

Quick Reply: XC90 Volvo...