Sponsored by:

purchase advise on this 95 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default purchase advise on this 95 coupe

I am looking for a 95 white or silver coupe, manual. I found one with 59,000 miles for $33k. The ad says "This car is in excellent condition, looks brand new. New paint job over a year ago. All maintanence records are available. The mechanic who services the vehicle is avialable to discuss the condition with serious buyer."

I asked via email why the car had been painted and was told " The car has not been in an accident. The reason for the paint was there had been some chips in the paint from following a gravel truck, we were going to keep the car, so we decided to get it repainted. That was over a year ago. Since then we have been staying at our cabin, which is not very conducive to keeping this vehicle. "

This car has been advertised since November and is in the 702 area code in Southern California.

I'm a first time porsche buyer and am being very cautious. This ad has two red flags for me - not sold since Nov and a complete paint job. Are these reasons to be concerned? Any other red flags from the above info? If everything checks out does this seem like a reason price for this car. Of couse I would have an independent PPI and not go buy what his mechanic may tell me.

I'm about 3 months into a serious search and you have all been very helpful in my previous questions. I look forward to joining you all on a mountain drive, and of course, joining Rennlist soon.

Don
Old 01-17-2004, 01:42 PM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would it need a COMPLETE paint job if it's only a few rock chips from the gravel truck??? Besides, $33K for a '95 with 59,000 miles seems a bit high.

Keep on looking... the right one is out there.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:53 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Don:
After you decise you want the car, it all depends on the PPI. My advice is that 33K is not too much if the car if checks out to be excellent. I think that finding a car for less money is quite possible, but the market works pretty well in determining value. Less money will usually mean less car if you are doing your homework.

If the car turns you on - that is, when you see it, drive it, you see yourself getting big time satisfaction from owning it, then make an offer you are comfortable with. Negotiate to a price and proceed to the PPI.

The final decision is made then.

If you have any reservations through the process, take a pass and keep looking.

I wouldn't worry too much about a few $1,000's one way or another, just be sure that you feel good about the whole thing.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 160 Posts

Don, I have sent you a PM.

sean
Old 01-17-2004, 03:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Isnt 702 a Las Vegas area code? Maybe Phoenix?

Although thats not really important. Ask if you can see receipts for the paint work and pics before the work..
Old 01-17-2004, 03:34 PM
miramont
Track Day

as a recent first time buyer who made some mistakes I offer the following advice"

Find out exactly where the car is. I grew up in Vegas and 702 was and still is the prefix there.
Contact the local recommended porsche shop in your area. Talk to the guy and ask him if he knows anyone he trusts in the car's location. Schedule your PPI with this guy. Get a full run down on the car including whether or not it is due for the 60k service which it probably is. This is a big service. Additionally, have them check out the clutch. If you need a new one you are looking at $3500 with a new flywheel. Make sure the car can pass the emission quality (smog testing) in your state. In most states with the exception of Texas and some outlying areas of other states it's unlawful to sell a car that cannot pass smog.

Lastly, when you buy from a private party realize that after he has your cash he could be gone the next day never to be heard from again. I realize this may be a rather jaded and somewhat cynical take on the buyer but believe me when I say you don't want your first experience to me a nightmare. Have the car of your dreams show up and have everything be perfect. You deserve no less.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:49 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

33k for a 95 coupe with 59k is too much $$, unless it's in pristine condition.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:17 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don,
For $31K Ipurchased a 95 Silver C2 cpe with 71K miles on the clock. I did get a good history which, indicated regular maintenance. Additionally, the car came with ROW M030 suspension, euro turbo front bumper, turbo S tail, side skirts, RSRs (for sale) and 18" Fikses. So, if you are anywhere near unsure walk away, you'll find what you want.

Good Luck,
Andy
Old 01-17-2004, 07:32 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Don-

I just bought a silver 95 C2 last week. I looked at ads for the longest time and remember the car you are talking about- it is on Autotrader, right? My advice would be the same as most others here- just keep patient and the right car will come around. I don't think a repaint alone is a reason to shy away from a car, but cars don't usually get repainted unless bad things happen to them. I almost bought a car which had been repainted, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I'm glad I waited a few months and found a really good one with no stories attached. Good luck!

Brendan
Old 01-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Don C
Racer

Originally posted by m3brendan
Don-

I just bought a silver 95 C2 last week. I looked at ads for the longest time and remember the car you are talking about- it is on Autotrader, right?
Brendan
Yes, this is the car on Autotrader.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Don,

You might be able to get a good deal if you're okay with a car that's been repainted. Will this be a daily driver or a garage queen that you want to hermetically seal and only drive once every other month? If the latter, move on. If the former, read on.

If the car is a hard-to-match color, a discerning owner, which encompasses, oh, all of us here, might have opted to paint the whole car rather than have slightly mismatched panels. I plan on keeping my car for a long time and, if I had to repaint the front end of my polar silver car, and if I had the money, I would consider doing the whole thing. I mean, I'm keeping the car forever, right? Who cares if it's been entirely repainted other than me? If a panel doesn't match 100% correctly, who will it bother more? Me, the guy who's currently looking at it, or the future owner who, hypotheticallly, won't get his mitts on my car for another twenty years? Methinks me.

But if I had to sell that repainted car, repainting it definitely lowers the value. No way around it. The only way to tell if the car has a horror story is to have a PPI done and to have a good body shop pore over it. You may find that it had been sideswiped or that the front end had been damaged. Or you may find that the original story was true. And you may be able to get a fantastic deal.

Is the car perfect (every car is "perfect" over the phone ) in every other way? Remember, they're asking $33,000 and the car has been on the market since November. It's only the middle of January and we have two and a half more months of a soft sports car selling season. That means they'll, hopefully, take lower if they have to sell. I'd play the repaint card and hit them at $27,000, pending a clean PPI and no body damage. If they balk at $27K, ask them to make you an offer. If they say $32K (a $1000 drop from they're original), offer $28K. Find a high point that you're comfortable with and don't go beyond it. They're at the disadvantage since they own the car that's hard to sell; you have the power since you can walk.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-18-2004 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:37 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, $33K for a 59K mile '95 is not too much IF the car is in great shape. The repaint does raise a flag. It must be of absolute top quality, and the car MUST have a very thorough PPI by a mechanical shop AND a body shop knowledgeable about Porsches to verify the "no wreck" claim. Is the $33K firm? If not, there may be a little or a lot of negotiation room.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Check Out Car

If the car is in Las Vegas, you may want to have the seller take it by Carl's Place (A Porsche shop run by Carl Young) in Las Vegas.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Pete K
Pro

Hi Don,
I agree with Martin about "Carl's Place" having met the man and seen his shop. I also have met a couple people that use him and are quite satisfied with his shops work.

If you would like I would be happy to stop by and take a look at it for you.

Just drop me a note at P993tt@***.net

Pete
Old 01-18-2004, 09:44 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Default My car was repainted.

It's black. And looks way better than the other 95 - 96 Pcars in my local PCA. So for me the repaint was a plus. Mine has 72k miles on it and has no exceptional history and it is stock as they come. It may or may not have been driven hard as nobody knows for sure excpt the previous owner. Common sense says get an inspection and if there are some small details that need to be handled then negotiate. A car that has not been raced or modified is worth more to me, even though I plan to do some DE's and a couple of autocross events myself. Also, it appears to me that the market for these 993's is not as soft as it was in October and November. $35K is probably on the high side based on your description. The simple fact is that the 993 versions at the current pricing are a bargain relative to the 964's and the 996's in my opinion. Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: purchase advise on this 95 coupe