Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Springs

Hello there,

I hope everyone is doing great!
Just a random question...PO has lowered car by one inch by installing (aftermarket?) springs ( I don't know what brand or any details on them). He told me that the shocks were not replaced...just the springs...So..all I know is that the car has different from factory springs (the original springs were given to me by PO and currently they are at my closet).
I've read somewhere that it is not recommended to change the spring without changing the shocks...
How bad/good is my current setup - original shocks + unknown to me brand of springs which lowered car by one inch? May be it would be a good idea to put the factory springs back...but I like the way the car looks/handled when it is lowered...What the negative impact the current setup may have on the handling/reliability and etc? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While many people will recommend always changing shocks with springs, there are others who don't. I personally did not change my shocks when I put on the H&R springs and I have been very happy with the handling of the car. In your specific case, it is going to be important to find out which springs are now on your car before deciding what are the acceptable solutions. Also, what do you plan to use the car for, street only, or AutoX, track, etc? If it is street only and you are happy with the ride quality, handling and look then I would say leave it as it is and enjoy it.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Is there any way to get an idea (aside from asking PO) what kind of springs were used?
...I know H&R for example are red. Mine are black..so it is not H&R then...ahh well..Thanks for reply!
Old 06-22-2003, 10:48 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
my Eibach springs are black. Once you have the wheel off and clean off the spring, you may be able to see a part number (white lettering on Eibach springs)
Old 06-23-2003, 04:21 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Sputnik,
The only concern you should have is whether your shocks will "bottom out" if the spring is fully compressed, where the shock piston doesn't have adequate travel. The worst case scenario is that a shock bottoms out and is bent or blown, then you are in the market for new shocks.

Bottoming out *may* be prevented by installing bump stops (aka bump rubber) on the rod of the shock if the discrepancy isn't to severe between the shock travel you have and the shock travel you need.

<a href="http://www.truechoice.com" target="_blank">www.truechoice.com</a> sells bump rubber for $7 each.

If you don't see any bent or leaking shocks your installation is probably OK.

I have blue Eibachs on my p-car and red Eibachs on my Mazduh.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Springs