Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buying 993 from out of state dealer. Doing PPI but not flying out to drive. Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I have a dumb question: doesn’t the OP and many more of you buying unseen still end up flying out at some point in the end anyway? So the only difference is giving up leverage by prepayment of the vehicle?
Not sure about others, but in my case, I did everything long distance & never met the seller in person & never saw the car until the truck opened it doors in my local mall parking lot.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 PM
CarreraWilly
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just flew from Connecticut to Miami to buy a '97 Carrera 2 and it was worth it to see the car in person. I had photos, video, had done the "FaceTime walk-around," had seen PPI, compression and leak down test results... but nothing compares to seeing the car in person. This car I bought has a single mass / lightweight flywheel installed, and it does make an unusual amount of noise, which was not apparent in videos. I decided that was OK for me... but another person might hate it. In all likelihood, you'll be fine... and everything is fixable if you have some extra budget.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:31 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraWilly
I just flew from Connecticut to Miami to buy a '97 Carrera 2 and it was worth it to see the car in person. I had photos, video, had done the "FaceTime walk-around," had seen PPI, compression and leak down test results... but nothing compares to seeing the car in person. This car I bought has a single mass / lightweight flywheel installed, and it does make an unusual amount of noise, which was not apparent in videos. I decided that was OK for me... but another person might hate it. In all likelihood, you'll be fine... and everything is fixable if you have some extra budget.
That is just the noise you get with a LWF. Really noting wrong ...
Old 08-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

I’ve bought 5 993’s sight unseen and have had surprises with every one. I would. Ever pay top dollar without seeing it in person. If you are getting s good deal and feel that you can afford a few thousand in unexpected issues, then I would go with a PPI and a Rennfax if you can find someone.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:00 PM
johnconorlynch
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine sight unseen. And even though I had a PPI, I wish I had gone to see the car in person. It was rougher (cosmetically) than I expected. In the end, I still probably would have bought the car, I just would have negotiated the price down a bit more.
The price of a flight is marginal compared to any potential unforeseen repairs. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:17 PM
ARC Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the car inspected by the owner of DeMan Motorsport today. After he was done he said to me "If you don't buy this car, I will". I'm confident in purchasing it sight unseen after hearing that.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 PM
ARC Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Either look it over in person, or find a ready, willing & able Rennlister to give it a thorough look for you.

This is commonly known as a Rennfax in certain circles.

Andreas
Originally Posted by fsa
Be aware ARC Driver that you shouldn't do a vinyl wrap with existing "chips and scratches" unless they're really minor- and you don't know- as the result will be irregular and show defects. Legit. installers won't even do it. If the car's been repainted, which you also don't know, the wrap may not bond well, and it may pull clear coat or paint with it when removed.
Thanks, I will be doing a vinyl wrap so I'll look into this.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM
ninezeroone
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you made up your mind but, for a bit more reassurance, I also purchased mine sight unseen and everything went according to plan. I had a PPI done, talked to the owner a ton, had him send a bunch of pics and used an escrow site online to secure the funds during the transaction.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Congrats. Curious, what cost of PPI?

What year and miles on your car?

Enjoy!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ARC Driver
I had the car inspected by the owner of DeMan Motorsport today. After he was done he said to me "If you don't buy this car, I will". I'm confident in purchasing it sight unseen after hearing that.
I have a feeling... Heck, I'm willing to bet $1 on the next turn of events. Anyone game?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I have a feeling... Heck, I'm willing to bet $1 on the next turn of events. Anyone game?
I’m in, lol
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Watch this and hold my beer. Lol
Old 08-15-2018, 10:57 AM
ARC Driver
Rennlist Member

That's all my situation is worth.... $1?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've purchased two cars sight unseen - my 2012 CR from Premier in Springfield, MO, and most recently, a 2012 Maserati Quattroporte GTS from a private party in FL. I had the CR PPI'd by the local P-car dealership and saw tons of pictures. My experience with Premier was excellent, including the shipping it arranged. The car was exactly as represented and drove perfectly. My experience dealing with the private party for the QP was also excellent. The QP was delivered in exactly the condition represented to me. Now, in both cases, I did my homework on the cars provenance, service history, etc. I used skepticism to ask pertinent questions and validate responses. Then, I relied on my intuition and judgment to make a decision to proceed or not. I'm sure every situation is different, but my two experiences were quite favorable, so it can be done.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

That's all my situation is worth.... $1?
Just kidding. Don't mind the peanut gallery. This is all part of buying an used car. I had a PPI done at RAC Dallas on my 3TT. Compression, leakdown test drive etc.. Hans called me back and said it was a good car so I bought it.

If Rick Deman said it is a good car, then it is probably solid. Set aside 10% of purchase price to fix little things like door checks latches, leaky evaporator and stuff that wears out on a 20+ year old car. If you don't spend that 10% on fixing the car, then upgrade suspension, exhaust, shift rod and steering wheel. You will have a solid car.

Quick Reply: Buying 993 from out of state dealer. Doing PPI but not flying out to drive. Mistake?