Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 08:53 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Does that mean I'll be as fast as you?
For sure you are going to be faster than me I'm just a damn slow driver with a fast car as Robert proved in our last race
Just make sure that you are in the sweet spot between 33-35 HOT and make sure you give the tires a lap to warm up before you start pushing. You will feel a lot of flex and a lot of movement on your out lap that is normal. You are going to like the tires, as a matter of fact now that I think of it, I might as well send you my old cups, there is still some tread left since I'm only going to be using 18's from now on. Hmmm... It seems that everytime I move to a new tire you need my old ones! LOL... So same arrangement as the last time? Please PM me to confirm!

Robert yeah... that was the reason... the tires...you did not drive the car hard at all As a matter of fact looking at the incar video I have not seen another driver using ALL the track including ALL the rumble strips and beyond like you did

Dry land finally on the 23rd!!!! Will I see you on the 24th at TWS??? We GOT to test the new RS configuration and I could use your help on the setup Prepare to drive though on MPSC's again as the new Hoosiers are not out yet...
Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
Robert yeah... that was the reason... the tires...you did not drive the car hard at all As a matter of fact looking at the incar video I have not seen another driver using ALL the track including ALL the rumble strips and beyond like you did

Dry land finally on the 23rd!!!! Will I see you on the 24th at TWS??? We GOT to test the new RS configuration and I could use your help on the setup Prepare to drive though on MPSC's again as the new Hoosiers are not out yet...
I don't know -- I was away (from the wife) last Sunday & will be gone all this weekend. I'll have to see what things look like next week. Are you going to be there both days? Oh, and do bring your videotape - that'd be fun to watch over a beer.

BTW, check your email!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to drive to the track on the tires I would go with the Pilots. If you can trailer and don't mind not getting that much life out of your tires then go with the Hoosiers. I hear they stick better but just don't last as long and you can't really drive them in the rain as well as the Pilots. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 01-13-2004, 10:49 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone besides Mike in Chi and me notice the obnoxious amount of marbles sticking to the MPSC's? It was so bad, I thought there was a wheel bearing or larger problem. Maybe it was our HWFM Racing line causing the problem but that was a big negative, IMHO.

On the plus side, the Cups feel pretty damn good on the street. Not as grippy in the wet as the trusty Victo's but I got a few more weekends out of them and they didn't get greasy near the end of a hot session like the Kumho's. I may try the RA1's in search of a better answer.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:52 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
I might as well send you my old cups, there is still some tread left since I'm only going to be using 18's from now on. Hmmm... It seems that everytime I move to a new tire you need my old ones! LOL... So same arrangement as the last time? Please PM me to confirm!
Danny
You've got a PM. If they don't work, I can use them for my new business:

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

Originally posted by GrantG
The new Hoosiers are steel-belted and are supposed to last as long as the Michelins and be safe on the street (in the dry) and they're slightly cheaper too...
What is the model #? I couldn't fit one with steel belts on the tire rack website.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The new Hoosiers aren't out in all sizes yet. The Hoosier site does have them listed it is the R3S04, the current/previous generation is the R3S03. http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

I agree with Joey, the pickup on the Michelins is dramatic and it takes a lot of turns (maybe a lap) for it to release the marbles. It really stinks in race situations as it seriously limits grip and makes the car feel like it is coming apart. The Hoosiers lose any pickup within a turn or so.

I think Joey hit the bullseye with the remark to try the RA-1's. Not tried them on my Porsche but I have driven Spec Miata's with them and they are great tires. I know guys that use them as their track/practice tires and love them. They just need to be worn in before they get fast. Great rain tires in full tread also.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 01-14-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:48 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,982 Likes on 2,817 Posts

If you go to:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ireModel=R3S04

You'll see the new model of Hoosiers...
Old 01-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Grant:
That was a dumb question on my part, after I made the post I found it!!

Now my search for track tires has hit another snag!! The smallest Hoosier (245/35/18) requires at least 8.5" rim. Which brings me to my next question. My current rims are 8X18 52mm & 10X18 65mm. If I go to a 8.5" rim will the offset be the same or does it change? And is the offset measured from the inside or outside of the rim? If I found a rim with different offsets do I want the offsets smaller or larger so I can use spacers? I know the has been posted serveral times but I never did understand it

Thanks for your help & understanding
Old 01-14-2004, 12:22 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Kristoffer,
The Tire Rack has a good explanation of wheel offset, with helpful graphics:
Click - Wheel Offset

I didn't think Porsche offered a 8.5 x 18 wheel for the 993, are you thinking of aftermarket? They did offer a 8.5 x 17 and a 9 x 18.

The 9 x 18 52 offset is a Boxster wheel, I'm not sure how well it works with a 993.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Thanks Chuck. If I want to go with the Hoosiers it seems like I will have to go after market! I guess nothing can be simple any more
Old 01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You can use an 8" wheel with the 245 tire and have no problems, I did it for quit a while. But you would probably get just as good of a foot print with the 225 tire.

If you are getting new wheels go with the 9's and 10.5's.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, I just went to that website and those tires nearly look like slicks!

Has anyone here seen a small trailer that people use just to tow the tires? I've only seen it once. Again, it's quite small and it only holds the tires, nothing else. I may want to look into this as an option to bring the tires to the track. Thanks.

Rich
Old 01-14-2004, 01:19 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 911
Wow, I just went to that website and those tires nearly look like slicks!

Has anyone here seen a small trailer that people use just to tow the tires? I've only seen it once. Again, it's quite small and it only holds the tires, nothing else. I may want to look into this as an option to bring the tires to the track. Thanks.

Rich
I already have my trailer hitch (DaLan), and I have seen some pretty nice trailers with room enough for a large box (tools, jack, etc.) in addition to room for the wheels...next project?

Click - Here's One Example

BTW, one of my aquaintances has run those new Hoosiers while racing SCCA IT, he was very impressed to say the least. He also says that the Toyos are his first choice for rain tires, but that opinion is very biased since I think he gets them wholesale from his brother-in-law. Anyone considering running the Pirelli P Zero Corsa as a rain tire - Don't.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
You can use an 8" wheel with the 245 tire and have no problems, I did it for quit a while. But you would probably get just as good of a foot print with the 225 tire.

If you are getting new wheels go with the 9's and 10.5's.
Hoosier doesn't make a 225 (18") Will 9" fit with out rolling my fenders? What off set do I need for 9" & 10.5"?

Quick Reply: Pilot sport cup vs Hoosier