Sponsored by:

Full Tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Full Tuneup

I plan to do a full tuneup on my motor, as I’ve been getting misfires on all cylinders recently. The PO did caps, rotors, plugs and wires 7 years ago, but only about 5,000 Miles but my tech did notice wear on the wires and caps so I guess I’m due. Parts would be as follows:

spark plugs (12)
spark (ignition) wires
air filter
fuel filter
cabin filter set
distrib. Cap X2
distrib. Rotor X2

having trouble finding part numbers on the above. I want to compare pricing. Anyone have those handy?

oil and filter change and brake fluid flush is already done. Anything else to consider doing for a tuneup? Thanks guys!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I would be shocked if your wires, with 5K miles on them, show "wear." You can inspect the lower wires, which have sharp bends and are exposed to exhaust heat, for cracks, and you can test resistance through them. But I doubt you need any of the stuff replaced that was done 5K miles ago. Common cause of misfire is using non-Porsche v-belts. Belts cost something like $20 each and can be changed in under an hour. Start there.

Also, FWIW, I am deeply skeptical of "parts changer" techs whose diagnosis of problems does not involve actually figuring out the problem but recommending to the owner a list of parts that can be changed out, with many billable hours for the tech.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:39 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Wires/plugs should be fine if only 7 years old and 5k miles. Possible you may need caps n rotors. Check all 12 wires to make sure they’re all fully seated on the plugs.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I’m doing belts too so maybe I’ll hold off on the “tune up” and see how she runs with the new belts.

Last edited by GBX; 07-23-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

I would just consider caps and rotors.
Misfires on multiple cylinders is quite often a vacuum leak. In such a case replacing expensive stuff won't solve your problem. I would do incremental parts swapping and see what makes your issue go away in the following order:
  1. Check for vacuum leaks
  2. Verify the distributor belt is in place
  3. Replace caps & rotors, clear the code see if the code returns.
  4. Replace wires. My wires were replaced 10 years ago and are still working w/o any OBD codes. Clear the code and see if it returns.
  5. Replace spark plugs, our cars use extremely high voltage so even a nasty plug will fire.
If you do it all at once you may not solve your problem even though you spent a lot of money.
Better to identify the specific issue first.
Andy
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
I would just consider caps and rotors.
Misfires on multiple cylinders is quite often a vacuum leak. In such a case replacing expensive stuff won't solve your problem. I would do incremental parts swapping and see what makes your issue go away in the following order:
  1. Check for vacuum leaks
  2. Verify the distributor belt is in place
  3. Replace caps & rotors, clear the code see if the code returns.
  4. Replace wires. My wires were replaced 10 years ago and are still working w/o any OBD codes. Clear the code and see if it returns.
  5. Replace spark plugs, our cars use extremely high voltage so even a nasty plug will fire.
If you do it all at once you may not solve your problem even though you spent a lot of money.
Better to identify the specific issue first.
Andy
Extremely helpful. Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:26 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Extremely helpful. Thanks!!
Also, spray out the idle valve with some carb & choke cleaner when you replace the caps and rotors as it may contribute to misfires at idle. The valve is easy to get to and clean on top of the engine and really never needs to be replaced. It functions to adjust mixture at idle.
Andy
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

+993 what Churchill said: " Common cause of misfire is using non-Porsche v-belts." And they MUST be the ones that have "Porsche" stamped on the belts. Although the OEM belts may be from the same manufacturer, there is something different about the Genuine Article, even though the measurements may all be the same--maybe the flexibility? Some special magic rubber? I dunno, but I'm with Churchill on this one.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 93 Posts

Ditto above.
Dayco non-oem "Porsche" v-belts triggered 3-consistent "misfire" codes.
Remedied with Porsche stamped Dayco belts. They differ in circumference and width, by a few mm, likely enough to trigger sensors. The number of inner belt serrations differs- more on Porsche stamped belts. Seem more pliable.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Porsche belts are on the car but replacing them anyway as they are showing some wear, along with the tensioner which is cracked and basically shot. Decided to do caps, rotors and plugs. Wires seem fine upon further inspection so wont touch those for now. Engine should be running great after this!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:28 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Hopefully it's the belts, but may not be.

Quick Reply: Full Tuneup