Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How do you lift a 993 engine w/ a engine hoist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How do you lift a 993 engine w/ a engine hoist?

The engine is not positioned as well as I would like (it's secure I just can't lower the ATV lift fully). I've borrowed a neighbor's 1 Ton engine hoist (cherry picker) but I don't know the best place to hook the (front) chain or strap. There is a smallish eyelet that is under the intake runners that will work for the rear of the engine (transmission end) but I'm not sure where I should attach the front chain or strap. I could make a eyebolt attachment on the A/C lower frame but I think that will cause the engine to tilt significantly.

Is there a arrangement that works best with a cherry picker?

Can take photos if need be.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Normally you place a hydraulic jack under the engine (or a hydraulic table) and lower the unit out - or raise the car off of it... Are you not able to do it that way? I suppose that if you have to lower it out with a cherry picker you could feasibly bolt onto the motor mount stand. Its just so easy to lower the unit out on a jack.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um.. The engine comes out from underneath. I don't know how a cherry picker is going to work. A cherry picker is used for front engined cars.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I think he is trying to lift it back into the car. If so I still prefer a jack to lift the unit into place - but I guess you could yank it up through the small engine bay access.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

No none of the above, I guess I needed to be more clear. I should have realized I was not posting in my other thread.

1) the engine (and tranny) are out, combination of lowering the engine and raising the car.
2) the engine (w/out tranny now) is sitting on a ATV lift but due to the engine and support boards positioning I can't finish lowering the ATV jack.
3) I just need to reposition the engine on a rolling dolly lower to the ground and more stable.
4) I still have several more tasks to do before I'll be reinstalling the engine/tranny.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I read in another thread where the engine support crossbar (the one that the motor mount bolts go through) can be used for the rear hook location.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It has been some time since I loaded/unloaded a 3.6 on the back of a truck, and then lowered to a dolly .... but I recall using the front eyelet you mentioned - and ran a strap between two eyebolts inserted in the (rear) engine carrier. A second strap ( web/safety belt type) from front to rear with a short, notched piece of 2x4 to act as a spreader will keep load off the VRAM, and allow a celing hoist/come-a long to lift the engine perfectly balanced.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't. That why you get a nice lift table instead of a atv or transmission jack. The lift table will get you to the proper height to get it on an engine stand. You also need a good vw-dub style do-hickey to hold the engine.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought we dropped our engines and transmissions much like most Ferraris??
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Garth S
It has been some time since I loaded/unloaded a 3.6 on the back of a truck, and then lowered to a dolly .... but I recall using the front eyelet you mentioned - and ran a strap between two eyebolts inserted in the (rear) engine carrier. A second strap ( web/safety belt type) from front to rear with a short, notched piece of 2x4 to act as a spreader will keep load off the VRAM, and allow a celing hoist/come-a long to lift the engine perfectly balanced.
Thanks Garth.
I should have thought of running eyebolts through the rear engine carrier motor mount bolt eyes.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM
pzi993
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Thanks Garth.
I should have thought of running eyebolts through the rear engine carrier motor mount bolt eyes.
OK - it is 6 years later since the last post on that subject and I don't see any pictures of the 993 engine hoist rig. My 96 993 engine and transmission is on the table and now I would like to separate the engine and mount it on the stand. I will improvise the 3 point method with front eyelet and 2 rear motor mounts. The issue I see is that the connection to the front eyelet must be completely vertical not to touch the intake. Let's see what I can come up with. In the meantime if somebody has a good picture this would be a good time to share it.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:41 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaholmes
You don't. That why you get a nice lift table instead of a atv or transmission jack. The lift table will get you to the proper height to get it on an engine stand. You also need a good vw-dub style do-hickey to hold the engine.

This is not an issue for you, since you have an actual lift, but what I don't like about that particular lift table is how tall it still is when all the way down. Which means, when you have the engine sitting on it, you have to lift the car that much higher to clear, so you can roll the engine/tans out.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:50 PM
pzi993
2nd Gear

Well - grabbed my engine lift and the engine support bar and assembled a wide yoke with negative angles of lift on both sides - the center will not touch the throttle body. Now I can lift the motor off the table and start undoing the bell housing. That center eyelet does not look to me like it is safe to lift the whole weight of motor and the transmission so for now I will not try it. Securing and repositioning of the engine is good enough. Some pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/qtdF1ay3YWDzFi1b8
Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 AM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Originally Posted by pzi993
Well - grabbed my engine lift and the engine support bar and assembled a wide yoke with negative angles of lift on both sides - the center will not touch the throttle body. Now I can lift the motor off the table and start undoing the bell housing. That center eyelet does not look to me like it is safe to lift the whole weight of motor and the transmission so for now I will not try it. Securing and repositioning of the engine is good enough. Some pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/qtdF1ay3YWDzFi1b8

Man, I love your garage setup !!

Quick Reply: How do you lift a 993 engine w/ a engine hoist?