Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPC SUPERCHARGER & PROMOTIVE TUNE , NEED INPUT ON FUEL INJECTORS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I sent my ECU to Todd with no data logging or AFRs. He based it on what I had installed on the car.

I'd say the car runs about 90%... Almost perfectly. Now I can data log once all the snow is gone and have Todd fine tune it.

don't abandon this. You're so close!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

^^ Yikes!! I sure hope you checked AFRs on a dyno or your own wideband because it would be incredible risky to simply drive using his initial guesstimate. No way!!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
^^ Yikes!! I sure hope you checked AFRs on a dyno or your own wideband because it would be incredible risky to simply drive using his initial guesstimate. No way!!
All AFRs checked using a wideband O2 sensor and gauge.

Initially it was running lean. Gave all the numbers to Todd and he advised to put a 4.5 Bar FPR. That solved everything. Then Winter hit.... now just waiting for spring/summer to drive around and data log and have Todd fine tune to exact specs.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I'm getting the impression there a bit more to the story here, since removal will probably take more work than just getting it running right. But yeah, get it dyno'd and just send the graph to Todd.
I think you might be right!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not true, it will take me 1/2 a day to remove and replace the entire system. With the clewett system life is easy.

I really wish I could finish, but how can I spend time with my son, work and have a project car?

I have choosen that my son is more important and we can enjoy the car w/o the super charger.

but if you can help me figure something out, I would be your best friend.

Please help me theothereric
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, I already have a inovative psb1 which needs to be installed. To install per my standards will take one month.

And to make things clear, I tried for months to find someone to data log the car. No one was interested since it's an obd1. If it was a obd2, I would have already been done.

That's is why the car really never got finished.

Starting a new job is tough, and I just really lost interest since my family is more important. I am sure the next owner of the supercharger will see it complete.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog
And to make things clear, I tried for months to find someone to data log the car. No one was interested since it's an obd1. If it was a obd2, I would have already been done.
Not sure what you mean by “data log” since for me and others, it merely entails giving the car to the dyno shop who does a pull with an O2 sensor up the muffler and a boost line hooked up, then they give you the plot on a piece of paper and you leave and send it to Todd later. Assumes you have a reasonable starting tune of course.

To be honest, I’m not sure how important the wideband AFR is immediately. At WOT the car doesn’t use that info, it’s a preprogrammed fixed map. So as long as the tune was good on the dyno, I’m not sure it adds much except piece of mind.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:28 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

So now that I’m closing in on my TPC supercharger install journey, I’ve been going around and reading up on old threads (like this one) to get more insight on other people’s AFRs and to make sure that what I’m seeing makes sense.

For a bit of context, I have worked with Todd before getting my TPC. It was a good experience, and my 1998 ECU is now socketed so he could easily remap it. In fact, I bought the necessary Batronix chip burner so Todd could just email me bin files and I could burn the chip myself… no ECU mailing needed… but I have yet to try this (and, to be honest, will probably never need to at this point - so I might be selling the difficult-to-acquire chip burner!)

Despite that, after talking to a local shop that has done many TPC installs, I decided to stick with the extra injectors and piggyback ECU and not have Todd remap my Motronic for the supercharger. It seems fashionable here on RL to pooh-pooh this setup, but, to be honest, now that I have done it, I can’t understand why … unless you have an older kit with the older piggyback. Perhaps people had bad experiences when there was only one extra injector, or when a different piggyback ECU was being offered. I wonder how many people were unhappy with the current setup (2 injectors + Unichip)? I know of one RLer who had the new setup and switched to the no-piggyback / larger injector setup (I bought his Unichip!) - but I never got really knew why he did it.

The air-to-water intercooler system, and some of the monitoring setups I’ve seen people add seems like a hell of a lot more “extra complexity” than two extra injectors that just screw right into the fuel rail. The Unichip is solid, very well documented (the Unichip manual start with about 80 pages dedicated to nothing but engine theory), and has very easy to use software. Having an ECU setup like the Motronic+Unichip that works off of both the MAF and a boost/MAP signal seems preferable to me vs just having it trying to estimate the boost level based on TPS and MAF signal.

Most of the work with the Unichip is done under the drivers seat - that’s where you put the piggy-back boxes, and it took me maybe 1-1/2 hours to wire in the piggyback to the ECU. You can then test that everything on the current ECU is working by plugging the bypass connector into the Unichip harness and running the car. It should be 100% the same as a stock car. After that you’ve got one vacuum line and one wire (the injector trigger) to run to the engine bay, and then you're done with the Unichip / passenger compartment and ready to the do the SC install all from the engine bay. The Unichip also has a MAP sensor signal that you can wire into a meter/data logger.

Not only that, but running the UNichip software live on a laptop, watching it jump around the various map grids, knowing exactly how much it’s affecting the timing and when it’s firing the injectors is both fun and comforting. I haven’t changed the Unichip maps at all, but knowing that I can, WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING vs a 1-2 week turn around time shipping my ECU to Arkansas - that seems like an easy choice.

Lastly, as I mentioned, there’s a bypass connector for the Unichip wire harness, so I can unplug it, connect the harness to the bypass connector, and I’m back to a regular, unmodified stock ECU. No need to remap the Bosch one if I want to swap the intake manifold back to stock.

Now I admit, I need to do more testing and logging, and I have the bypass valve on the SC dialed back slightly so that it can’t hit full boost (yet!). I might completely blow something in my engine over the next month and come back here with a broken heart, but so far so good! the AFR numbers I’m getting on my LM-2 look good- 14.8 at idle and 11.5 at WOT.

There’s certainly different ways of doing things, and one is not right or wrong. I just wanted to offer a different perspective after hearing over and over "the hokie extra inject + piggyback setup" here on RL. Like so many other I was convinced that I was going to do larger injectors and a Protomotive tune, but - at least for now - I'm glad I kept an open mind and didn't. My install has been slow simply because I didn't want to rush it and wanted to triple-check everything. All in all though, it's been quite smooth. Funny enough, but the incomplete TPC documentation on vacuum lines, throttle cable position, and oil breather hoses - something you need to sort out no matter which way you set it up - has given me way more stress than the Unichip / injectors!

Last edited by CosmosMoon; 03-28-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: TPC SUPERCHARGER & PROMOTIVE TUNE , NEED INPUT ON FUEL INJECTORS PLEASE