Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

F'd up Tramont Wheel - Wheel Repair in OC, CA??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I'd be surprised if that bend can't be massaged out. Rick at Fuchs Restoration in Costa Mesa does superb work - might want to contact him:

https://www.fuchsrestoration.com/
Thanks. I'll see if they work on wheels besides Fuchs.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:34 AM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pico Wheel. Recommended to me by Rothsport. They rock.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Sad to see that kind of careless damage but it seems as if that's just how things go these days.

The installer obviously knew about the damage he caused and chose to keep quiet about it. Once he mounted the wheel & tire to the balancer, that dented area would have stood out like a beacon in the night.

I'd ask for some sort of refund/consideration and then leave without letting them touch anything of yours again.

Andreas
Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Wow, Incredible! Sorry to see this to your gorgeous new wheels. I’d have a chat with the manager, and the least they could do is pay for new outer lip or repair the damage at another facility.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

I trust that you inspected the wheels when you first received them, and there was no damage to them? If that’s the case, then the fault lies directly with the shop that did the work. No way, no how...that a tire/wheel combo took ZERO weight and was balanced.

Talk directly to the owner if possible, if not then the shop manager. Small claim court varies by State I believe...don’t know about where you are. I would demand they pay for the replacement wheel barrel,and all costs associated with that...shipping, duty etc. That barrel should be sent by express on their dime. I would not accept repair as an option on a brand new wheelset, they should also give you a complete refund of your bill from them.

The Wheel could have been dropped, the mounting machine could have been run by an idiot also...maybe the plastic protector thingy was badly worn, or missing when they initially started mounting the tire.

I suggest throughly inspecting every lip for other scratches, or bends.

Sorry about your luck...sometimes bad things happen to good wheels.

And...if they don’t bend over backwards to make this right, then I would open the social media flood gates on them. A picture says a thousand words, and that picture should cost them thousands of dollars in lost business from the car enthusiast crowd....IMHO
Old 06-20-2018, 11:45 AM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Complete disregard and deceit here. This is some SIGNIFICANT damage. It's unbelievable they would bag the wheels and assume you wouldn't notice when you got home? This is a reminder for everyone to inspect your wheels before leaving a shop.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:56 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Wheel Dynamics in El Monte
Old 06-20-2018, 12:43 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

get an invoice from tramont for replacement lips and make them buy you new ones.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Looks like someone dropped the wheels or they got banged up in shipping.
I would think a tire shop would bring any preexisting damage to your attention before mounting the tires if they were reasonably observant.
On the other hand, I would think if a naked rim was dropped on the floor with enough force to bend it the impact point on the bead would pick up some irregularities from the floor.
The damage looks smooth like it may have banged around in a shipping carton.
Did you closely observe the rims as undamaged before delivering them to the shop?
A claim may be with the shipper not the shop or just call the manufacturer who may swap the one wheel out as a customer service issue.
Andy
Old 06-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Manual991
Racer

Ok, took the one front with the bent outer and the rear without weights to tire shop. The manager was the one that mounted the tires. He was nice enough about it all. For the rear, he said it balanced out without weights. He said he's seen it before so we'll see how it is. I may have them all looked at for balance after the front is repaired.
The bend, he initially said it was driven on and was a pot hole or something. I told him no way since wheels were new and tires were obviously new. He agreed but said it must have happened in shipping or when boxed. He showed me the tire mounting machine and where the arm/depressor piece is on the outside of the rim and never touches the wheel. Like others have said, above, he said it would take a significant impact to make that bend and he sees that kind of bend from pot holes and pounds the bend back. He also said he didn't notice it when mounting the tire. I can't really argue with any of his points and after seeing the machine, can't see how the machine could have bent it.
I looked at them I thought closely when I unpacked but must have missed it. I didn't run my hand around the edges tho and is obvious by feel. Without the tire to see the deviation, I must have missed it. The boxes looked fine and the rears are fine so odd that one wheel is damaged and the wheel next to it wasn't. In any event, I think it can be straightened. I'll take it to a wheel repair place and see what they can do.

So, guess I need to take back everything about the tire shop. Thanks all for the support and recommendations on wheel repair places.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Manual991

So, guess I need to take back everything about the tire shop. .
Perhaps.... but, IMHO, anyone mounting a tire on that rim would have noticed the damage and immediately pointed it out to the customer. Particularly seeing that it is a brand new high dollar rim.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 PM
Manual991
Racer

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's fairly obvious with the tire mounted but I was also looking closely for scratches...wasn't expecting to find a bend.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Perhaps.... but, IMHO, anyone mounting a tire on that rim would have noticed the damage and immediately pointed it out to the customer. Particularly seeing that it is a brand new high dollar rim.
^ This.

Andreas
Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 AM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

The manager has more motivation to lie to you than a tech, this would come off of the manager’s bottom line.

On things like like this I always go back to “Occam’s Razor”. which states that the simplest answer (answer that has the fewest assumptions) is usually the correct answer. To me the simplest answer is that they were dropped by the shop.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 AM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Hi Don:

Just saw this thread, sorry about what happened. I remember all our boxes were all pretty intact when arrived, so I kind of doubt it got damaged in shipping....Anyhow, hope everything works out and let us know if anything we can help!

Andy

Quick Reply: F'd up Tramont Wheel - Wheel Repair in OC, CA??