Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious but what would you trade/sell/replace your 993 with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

Today's date is not April 1st

Originally posted by ZCAT3
I'm thinking of selling my 520 HP 993TT in order to buy an E55 Mercedes.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:45 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Too late Kim - I've been "old" since I was about 17. With all this rain lately I really need a car that I can drive in crappy weather - Michele keeps stealing the Volvo from me which leaves me only P-cars to chose from. I almost drove off the road the other day as it was raining so hard my crappy Porsche wipers couldn't keep up (this was in the 87 Carrera).
Old 01-09-2004, 08:22 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

I'd replace it with the following: 996 GT3, 993 TTS, 996 TT, F360, or F355.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be a bit of a step sideways, but would no one consider an NSX?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:15 AM
sonny1
Banned

Ok here it goes,
993 95,white/gray
Engine= Twin Turbo, 3.8ltr.,some specs.,Garret Dual BB hybrids,,mounted on Prototech headers,Prototech stage 5 muffler, dual Tial wastegates,dual Tial blow offs,Evo cams,
Pauter rods,huge intercooler by Corky Bell,Electromotive Tec-3 engine management, C-2 Aluminum manifold (extruded),1 coil per spark plug (12),dual fuel pumps,90 pnds. injectors,enough for 625HP.
Suspension= Motons C/Sport 880 rears,600fronts springs,Porsche motorsport sways F/R,Monoballs F/R,complete suspension with spherical bearings,the rear suspension carrier rides on RS rubber bushings,front suspension EVO uprights with Smart Racing tie rod set up.
Pedals/controls=RS complete shifter set up,with Weltmeister short shift(Performance Developments).,Rennline racing pedals.
Transmission=Specially geared 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th to Club Sport specs.,trans. cooler (gt-2 type),Paul Guard torque biasing diff., Sachs Sport clutch,RS flywheel.
Twin Turbo Axles.
Brakes= Brembo F-50 ft.brakes,RS rears.,With Pagid Oranges,Goodrige lines.
Wheels=Sport Classis 2 for street,TT hollow spokes for track.
Body= Turbo S rear quarters,RS Aluminum doors,carbon hood,GT-2 rear wing,Turbo S rear & front bumpers,with GT-2 type front splitter,Litronic for low and high beams,Fuel Safe 17 gal. cell,SPA 4 nozzle fire extinguisher system.
Interior= All creature comforts A/C,radio,etc.,plus., GT-3 seats,930-S steering wheel,R/S door panels,FVD (heygo) roll bar (just in),some brushed aluminum here and there,Innovative 5 stage boost controler, 993 S gauges,with additional boost/egt gauge.,and off course the Valentine 1,which gives me some peace of mind in the streets,and it gets replaced by a HotLap in the track, cheers,Sonny.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:55 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Rennphile
This may be a bit of a step sideways, but would no one consider an NSX?
No.

Why buy a pretender when you can get the real thing? Nice F355's are in the 70's now. I've driven both and there's no comparison.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:05 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by pig4bill
No.

Why buy a pretender when you can get the real thing? Nice F355's are in the 70's now. I've driven both and there's no comparison.
I do not understand comments like this

Yes F355 are great but unless you have the funds to maintain it - forget it. Don't forget if it wasn't for the NSX you will still be driving a dinosaur-like cars with compromised ergonomics etc. I would buy the Type R as my next car any day if I had the money.

Harry
Old 01-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Deano
Instructor

Old 01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'd go for the '57 Speedster.

Howard
98 C2 cab tip
Old 01-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Call me crazy, but I'm actually thinking of selling my 993 to go back to a 3.2 Carrera (86-89) plus a Mini to drive to work. I want a dedicated track car, but my 993 seems too 'nice' for the track. I made the mistake of entering it in a concours. Plus it has my fun money budget maxed out, so I don't have the cash left over for PSS-9's, track tires, GT-3 seats etc. It is completely original and very nice, so it makes me wince to think about even a bolt-in roll bar because it'd wreck the carpets. I guess I'm pretty neurotic.

Oh, and it's white. Not exactly the most passionate color out there. In five years of ownership, I never failed to turn around and look at my old black 911, but I've noticed I seldom do 'the look' with this one. Sure is easy to take care of though.

If I had the money, I'd get an 993RS (or as close as I can get in the US), 993 TT. Or a GT-3. Speed yellow, red or black.

The Lotus Elise is the only car under $100k that would make me leave Porsche.

Last edited by Derrick B.; 04-05-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:32 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Derrick,
I was having the same thoughts as I searched for my 993 (which I knew I would want to track as much as I could). Thought about an 89 or a 92/93. But realised that good examples of those cars where only 10-13k less than I would pay for a (low optioned) 993. Also, most of the older models had 50-100k miles, were I was able to get my car with 37k. Thinking that I would want to do variuos mods (for practical reasons and for fun) I thought that I should start with the best example that I could. With my current level of driving skill the HP difference is really mute but in the future I hope it won't be. Further, I really love the 993 body style along with the fact that numersous components of the car are more advanced (stock brakes for example).

I do understand what you say about keeping the car nice. I thought that I might be more realxed mentally with an older car but, for the reasons outlined above, went with the 993. Just my 2 cents.

Jamie
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Derrick,

Between the 911 and the 993 is the 964. The RSA has no power steering and is an excellent track car. My only regret about buying mine is that I should have bought one w/ more upgrades. I am upgrading the suspension now and a lwf soon. I don't plan on ever selling this car, but if I had to, I would lose the upgrade $. Even if I had the $ to buy a GT3, I would keep mine.

Check out rsamerica.net, they have quite a few for sale, some w/ good upgrades. I did not buy a garage queen, because I knew I would be taking it to the track as much as I could. That part I got right....and bought black.

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 01-20-2004, 04:47 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

Jamie and Jim,
You know, realistically, I wouldn't be happy with an older Carrera. The 993 is just too good. If I switched back to the older car, I'd miss the extra 80hp and the ABS brakes, just for starters. I would probably just start the cycle all over again. You know how it goes... I like the 3.2 Carrera, but I want more power, better brakes and handling, and a new paint job, but for that kind of cash, I could just get a 993!

If I'd just go ahead and spring for a set of Robin's RSR mufflers I'd probablly just shut the hell up and drive!

An RSA is a great suggestion. RSAmerica.net is an excellent site. I went there many times while I was shopping for a car. An RSA would be a great waya to go. Are people asking more for them than about 9 months ago? I was surprised by the prices I saw.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:51 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Derrick,

Some of those have been on their quite a while and may be negotiable. The one that comes to mind is the black one going for $39,900. It has been for sale since at least June, and all the ones underneath have been for sale longer.

When I bought mine I had test driven a RSA, but was still relatively unhappy w/ the power. An Autothority MAF/chip changed that. Although I live near Autothority I don't work for them, and actually bought mine from a P mechanic at a local dealership. Why he had one, I am not sure. Anyway he did the diagnostics with the MAF/chip at the P dealership. The MAF made a HUGE difference. Now that I am used to it I of course want even better acceleration, but shorter gears will have to wait until next year. This year I am doing the suspension, new motor mounts, Sparco's and a short shifter.

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by pig4bill
No.

I don't understand this comment either. If price is a factor (and for most of us it is), why wouldn't you consider an NSX? IMHO, it's a more natural competitor to the NA 993 than the 355.

Quick Reply: Just curious but what would you trade/sell/replace your 993 with?