Sponsored by:

3.8 build. Standard cams or RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 3.8 build. Standard cams or RS?

About to rebuild a C2S (Varioram) to 3.8. Cams look good still so could be put back in. Has anyone any insight into whether or not to use the original profile ones or move to something closer to an RS cam.

My understanding is with the standard profile the car will be much smoother at lower revs, and with the RS cams it will have a lumpy idle but develop more power/BHP.

The car is unlikely to ever see a track. It will be used on long road trips/touring/driven quickly but I also live in London so having a car that does not cut out in traffic is probably wise. Having said that my one and only complaint with the car is it has always felt (to me) that it could do with just a little more go.

It also has a LWF which I have no issue with.

There is a depth of knowledge on here however I don’t seem to be able to find a decent review of a 3.8 with standard cams or much about living with one with an RS cam. Can anyone shed some light?

Photos of the worn stuff for those with a fetish.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by antgtv

About to rebuild a C2S (Varioram) to 3.8. Cams look good still so could be put back in. Has anyone any insight into whether or not to use the original profile ones or move to something closer to an RS cam.

My understanding is with the standard profile the car will be much smoother at lower revs, and with the RS cams it will have a lumpy idle but develop more power/BHP.

The car is unlikely to ever see a track. It will be used on long road trips/touring/driven quickly but I also live in London so having a car that does not cut out in traffic is probably wise. Having said that my one and only complaint with the car is it has always felt (to me) that it could do with just a little more go.

It also has a LWF which I have no issue with.

There is a depth of knowledge on here however I don’t seem to be able to find a decent review of a 3.8 with standard cams or much about living with one with an RS cam. Can anyone shed some light?

Photos of the worn stuff for those with a fetish.
RS or SS
Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 AM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd talk to Colin at 9M. I went RS and regret not putting something from him in there.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

SS is for mechanical not hydraulic, or am I confused?

Could you elaborate on why you regret the RS cam, was the car difficult to live with on the road?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

I have Webcam billet Euro RS grind. The builder also machined grooves in camshaft main bearings. 22k miles since the build and very strong. No regrets but I'm glad the previous owner paid for it. :-)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by antgtv
SS is for mechanical not hydraulic, or am I confused?
Correct
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have Webcam RS cams in the car with solid lifters. Then with the supercharger build I put back the hydraulic lifters.
I hated having to pay to adjust them every other oil change.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Webcam RS sent to Steve at Rennsport for a little massaging.

Quick Reply: 3.8 build. Standard cams or RS?