Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Daily Driver - Who has the most aggressive car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Dave Hanley
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't compete with Princeton or Viperbob, but here's a pic and details of my daily driver used every day for the last four years.

- 18" Kinesis K58s w/ Pilot Sports (285s at the rear)
- PSS9s and 993TT swaybars, RS specs, corner weighted
- Cup strut tower brace
- 993TT Big Reds
- Gert's FPB of course !
- chip, supercup airbox and BMC filter
- fabspeed supercups and cat bypass pipes
- DAS rollbar
- GT3 seats and 5-pt Teamtech harnesses
- rear seats, rear belts, carpets etc removed
- RS short-shifter, 03 carbon/leather shift and handbrake
- RUF spoiler delay switch
- front trunk emptied of carpet, spare, tools, etc

Sub-3000 lbs all up, with 1/2 tank of fuel.

Next mods:- throttle body and LWF/clutch.

Given the streets in Houston, this is as extreme as I'm going to go !!
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2004, 05:00 PM
DanO
Rennlist Member

Question for all of you with track/street cars...

How do you pass inspection? Since steering wheels without airbags and five point harnesses are illegal, how do you pass?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:46 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There are no state inspections in CA. Just smog checks every 2 years...
Old 01-08-2004, 05:46 PM
jocko
Track Day

Got something even more agressive for a daily commute (more aggressive meaning noisier, stiffer, etc. --- 1988 BMW E30 M3 with bilsteins/eibachs. My 993 is so smooth by comparsion. Maybe a change to PSS9s will change that...

Agree with John R., most so-called sports cars today are mushy crap - especially (and it saddens me to say this) BMWs.

95 993
88 M3
88 325IS
01 KTM 400MXC
Old 01-08-2004, 06:13 PM
E36S50
Advanced

Dave Hanley, your 993 looks great, and the specs are very nice for an aggressive daily driver! Do you have any high-res pics of the car, I'd love to see more!
Old 01-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Novice,
I like the ZJ... I used to own a 95 LR D90 with 35's that I wheeled the **** out of. I just bought a 78 CJ7 with a 401 V8 in pieces that I am going to build all up myself including roll cage, rebuilding the engine, new interior, SOA on 38's, etc. I love my car for daily driving and hopefully the track soon, but it just does not suit my appetite for wrenching! I am looking forward to welding something again... There's not much to fabricate for the Porsche.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Benton
Drifting

Dave,
Awesome car! It looks a lot like mine, although yours has more goodies. Do you have any type of baffle in your exhaust? You must get some serious looks when driving around. I get some serious mean ones from people with just supercups (without baffles). What percent are your windows tinted?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Dave Hanley
8th Gear

E36S50 - Thanks. Here's one more for you. There's plenty more on the home PC. I'm supposed to be working right now........

Mark - Thanks also. No, no baffles. No-one seems to notice here in Houston (most trucks and rice burners have monster exhausts) until I go into a parking garage and set-off every alarm in a 1/4 mile radius ! The bypass pipes will be coming off after the next track day though. It's just too noisy & resonant even for me. Oh, and I won't pass the emissions test either. No idea about the window tint, it was done by the original owner.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2004, 07:24 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Dave H,

your car is awesome, is it a black or mid blue??
Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Princeton and Bob definitely have this contest sewn up, but here's the stats on my daily, all weather driver up until the recent wreck.

- GT3 seats
- DAS rollbar
- Teamtech harnesses
- Halon fire extinguisher
- RS ride height
- Neg 1.7 camber front, 2.5 rear
- PSS-9's (no monoballs, though)
- R-compound Pirelli P-Zero C's on Fikse FM-10's
- RS adjustable rear bar
- Pagid Black pads (though I usually switch back to stock for the street)
- RSR mufflers (wanting to get rid of those cats, but don't want to live with the CEL)

However, with full leather (and soon an upgraded McIntosh-based sound system), I'm hardly roughing it.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Benton
Drifting

Dave's car is midnight blue; same color as mine. It's a you know what to keep clean, but looks great when it is.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:09 PM
protokultur
Advanced

Hah! You're all sporting luxo-bombers!

I've got a '56 pinebox derby car with solid zebrawood axles and a bed of rusty nails for a seat. Since there is no internal combustion engine per se, I have hired a team of angry white male laid-off COBOL programmers to push me. I don't have a horn, just a front-mounted rattlesnake cage with some piezo's, and when I need to stop, I just roll out onto the street and let the whole shooting match careen out of control. The only mods so far are Supertrapp, clear corners, and TE37's, and the no clutch conversion is at least 20 lb lighter than the aftermarket RS fitments seen on some 993's with lightened flywheels and close ratio trannies.

I never pay tolls, because the cops are afraid to pull me over, and the last time I hit a speed bump over by Super Wal-Mart it left naught but a smoking crater behind.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Red
Novice,
I like the ZJ... I used to own a 95 LR D90 with 35's that I wheeled the **** out of. I just bought a 78 CJ7 with a 401 V8 in pieces that I am going to build all up myself including roll cage, rebuilding the engine, new interior, SOA on 38's, etc. I love my car for daily driving and hopefully the track soon, but it just does not suit my appetite for wrenching! I am looking forward to welding something again... There's not much to fabricate for the Porsche.
Mark, ya, a friend also have the D90 with the OME BB lift. CJ7 is my next dream rig, but way too occupy right now with the 993.

I built up the ZJ all myself. look me(GCSINCE93) up at JU.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 AM
Benton
Drifting

Talking

Here is a pic of the old and sold DD... I lusted over Porsches since I could see, but couldn't see it as being practical for my use. It still isn't (!), but I just couldn't resist so I sold the D90 and took the plunge. Now I will have the best of both worlds once I finish my CJ. Some of you think you are car nuts, but I guarantee it doesn't get much more hardcore than myself. I get bored when I'm not thinking about cars, almost no matter what the subject is! Unless I'm with my girlfriend....
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2004, 01:34 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob- LOL. Your car is anything but a pussycat. I don't think I can rightfully claim the throne before I do my twin turbo conversion on my car .

Dave- Great looking ride. What part of town are you in? Haven't seen that one around.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver - Who has the most aggressive car?