Sponsored by:

Brake/Clutch Slave/ABS/ABD System Bleed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the pleasure of driving down and meeting Paul this morning. He preformed a Brake/Clutch, Slave/ABS/ABD system bleed on my cab. No doubt this is some good preventive maintenance.

Many thanks Paul.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:06 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Al,
Again you have proven positive that a picture is worth a thousand words! Those waxy clumps can't possibly do any good within a braking/hydraulic system...

I have read that DOT 3 brake fluid, will dissolve the wax within a period of (unknown) time... I also read that rubbing alcohol will dissolve the wax immediately, and the system should be flushed with alcohol.

Personally, I would refute flushing a hydraulic system with an alcohol that contains so much water (30%)! Not a good idea when refilling the system with a hydroscopic fluid.
I've read that heating the abs pump / lines with a heat gun (or maybe one of those propane torches) can help melt the wax and flush it out of the system. It would be interesting to apply some heat to one of those chunks in the reservoir in the pic and apply some heat and see how it reacts.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 236 Posts

Does the PIWIS activate the ABS in the same way as it works when you excessively brake?
if it does then no need to buy the tool, just take the car round the back and do an emergency stop or two
or go AX
Old 11-17-2018, 09:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
Does the PIWIS activate the ABS in the same way as it works when you excessively brake?
if it does then no need to buy the tool, just take the car round the back and do an emergency stop or two
or go AX
No, it cycles the ABS ABD systems but I have heard of others actuating their ABS ABD systems with hard braking. If you're going to do this, I would recommend doing so in the wet or on snow, so as to not flat spot a set of good tires. If you're going to replace the tires anyway, it doesn't matter...

Chuck, it was a pleasure meeting you this morning and that gorgeous cab with the cedar green leather interior!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:22 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
No, it cycles the ABS ABD systems but I have heard of others actuating their ABS ABD systems with hard braking. If you're going to do this, I would recommend doing so in the wet or on snow, so as to not flat spot a set of good tires. If you're going to replace the tires anyway, it doesn't matter...
Or do it on the track... it's more fun.

Presumably this ABS ABD system cycling can't be done with the Durametric tool?
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Or do it on the track... it's more fun.

Presumably this ABS ABD system cycling can't be done with the Durametric tool?
That's correct!

... along with codes that get reported by the durametric tool, for which there is no cause or trouble code.

I have a durametric tool that I used until I bought my Porsche specific, PIWIS.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:02 PM
JonRoger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have suggested that DOT 3, DOT 4, alcohol or heat may dissolve the wax. Has anyone taken a sample of the wax and verified any of these?

Will alcohol harm anything in the brake system?

Apparently the summary of brake bleeding is that you can either find someone else with a tool to exercise the ABS or buy one. The UDT999 is the lowest cost.

Quick Reply: Brake/Clutch Slave/ABS/ABD System Bleed